Ford will not use GM 9 Speed Tranny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take a GM tranny any day over a Ford, and any other manufacturer for that matter. However, Aisin does give them a good run for their money...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'll take a GM tranny any day over a Ford, and any other manufacturer for that matter. However, Aisin does give them a good run for their money...

I guess that is why they went bankrupt.
BMW as soon as they started to use ZF8 stated that there is no benefit of adding more then 8 speeds.
But GM over ZF? lol

Last edited:
They're using a GM based 8-speed instead. I believe this particular unit was co-developed by GM and Ford. Remember reading somewhere that a '17 Malibu with this transmission achieved 1 MPG more than an 8-speed used the previous year. Fuel economy?

If it's anything like the ZF 9 speed that's a smart move not using it.
27.gif
OTOH the 8 speed ZF is golden.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

BMW as soon as they started to use ZF8 stated that there is no benefit of adding more then 8 speeds.

BMW’s skepticism was pretty short lasted, by the end of the year they announced they’d use the 9 in next year’s lineup.

Guess that eventually they figured out too that a transverse mounted transmission presents some indeniable advantages to organizing cabin space in sedans lol
laugh.gif

I agree...but (with the exception of the SBC) I'll take a Ford engine over a GM any day.....GM still hasn't mastered gaskets IMO....

My sons 2016 GMC Denali has been in the shop several times with the troubling low speed clunk. A friend has a 2014 with the same problem in his Silverado. The tech told my son he has pulled many trans in the GMC line for the same problem. As for the Fords I have owned for many years, no problems yet.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
GM has existed since 1908, so dont rush them. Their new cost saving program called "let the customers test the product" is still being refined.

The other automakers seem to be following that business model too, for as far back as I can remember. That's why I will never buy the first year or two of any new model or technology. Let the early adopters that need to have the latest and greatest technology first do the testing.
wink.gif

Ford said the extra cost and complexity was not supported by small fuel savings vs the 8 speed. If I was in this market, I'd agree with Ford.

I have a broken ZF transmission in my truck, and a spare broken ZF transmission in the garage.

I'm starting to favor CVTs over these more than 6 speed autos. Even 6 gears seems to be too much in an automatic.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I have a broken ZF transmission in my truck, and a spare broken ZF transmission in the garage.

I'm starting to favor CVTs over these more than 6 speed autos. Even 6 gears seems to be too much in an automatic.

Yeah, I think 4-speeds are much more reliable than 6-speeds. My Suburban is finally have trans issues at over 200K on a 4L60E. My previous Escape had over 200K on the CD4E and the person I sold it to still drives it no problems. And neither of those transmissions have a particularly great reputation. My current Escape has the 6F35 and it already shifts worse than the old Escape with only 1/4 of the miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Ford said the extra cost and complexity was not supported by small fuel savings vs the 8 speed. If I was in this market, I'd agree with Ford.

Agreed. If you really don't need it...

The Nissan Frontier still has the ancient 5 speed trannie from years ago. My Dads Exterra has one and its sweet... ought to be, they’ve had like 2 decades to work the bugs out. To me, Fords’ new 10 speed is overkill but at least most of the owners are happy with it. What’s the point of a 10 speed when in normal driving it shifts 1-3-5-7-9 etc? Makes for a great hot rod though - uses every gear when the throttle is pinned.

LOL!!!! You must own stock in GM.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
My previous Escape had over 200K on the CD4E and the person I sold it to still drives it no problems.

Wow! CD4E (originally ZF design) must have come a long way since the 90s- or maybe Ford took a decade to build it properly..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back