Ford Super Duties being stored again at Kentucky Speedway

Driving north on I-71 from Louisville the other night and I ran into a convoy of new Ford Super Duty trucks and Lincoln Navigator SUVs being driven to the Kentucky Speedway for storage from the KTP (Kentucky Truck Plant). This is the second time Ford has used the speedway for storage and I'm assuming this time is also for chip shortages. I drove by the speedway yesterday and the entire parking lot was full of new trucks.

Hopefully those trucks are all facing south so they have a great view of Racers to the south of I-71. 😎

In rural southern Michigan very near the Ohio border, in June of 2021 we saw hundreds of new Jeeps parked in a field, with carriers bringing in more. I'm not sure whether they were waiting for chips, or for buyers. They were not there this September.

The OP may have stubbled upon the precursor to a recession. If buying slows down courier trucks will be getting parked. As an analogy, I was driving along the Missouri River in Montana and noticed hundreds of empty rail cars parked on the tracks with no locomotives. What was happening is that there were fewer loads being hauled as a precursor to the 2009 collapse and the Great Recession.
I noticed, a year ago, when covid was falling off the radar, and inflation was starting to be hoo-boy, that 18 wheelers were still pushing 80 MPH here, trying to get loads to wherever they were going as fast as possible. Maybe there was a driver shortage, maybe some carrots and sticks in play.

Even with $6 diesel they're still going the 70 MPH speed limit. Like you though I am watching the trucks to see what's next.

Back