Ford Super Duties being stored again at Kentucky Speedway

Driving north on I-71 from Louisville the other night and I ran into a convoy of new Ford Super Duty trucks and Lincoln Navigator SUVs being driven to the Kentucky Speedway for storage from the KTP (Kentucky Truck Plant). This is the second time Ford has used the speedway for storage and I'm assuming this time is also for chip shortages. I drove by the speedway yesterday and the entire parking lot was full of new trucks.

Last edited:
We simply do not need new vehicle production for a month, and keep ordering chips.

The Chip shortage will continue if they keep building new vehicles. just STOP COLD, and get a stock of chips, then things can begin to return to normal. Right now its "whatever comes in" it just isn't going to make things better.

Reactions: JC1
While your "new" Super Duty is driven around 100 miles round trip, from the KTP to the speedway. All the while, it sits out in the elements, rotting away. But, at least, you get to pay full price for a "new" truck...

There's a lot full of F150s on I435 at the MO River. They've been there at least 6 months. Somebody must be watching that lot close!

It’s cheaper and easier for factories to continue to build products and hold mostly finished inventory than to shut it all down and wait. It’s very difficult to get the factory and the rest of the supply base going again. This is my experience after 25+ years in manufacturing. On my younger years I would have been like shut it down. Once you see the bigger picture you understand why they don’t.

Just my $0.02

While your "new" Super Duty is driven around 100 miles round trip, from the KTP to the speedway. All the while, it sits out in the elements, rotting away. But, at least, you get to pay full price for a "new" truck...
In the scheme of things, 100 miles and sitting for a few months means nothing practically speaking. But I understand it bugs a lot of buyers.

Cars used to sit on docks and dealer lots for a total of a year or more if they were slow sellers.

If these trucks sit around for ~4 months at the racetrack then a week at the dealer, they're still ahead of the game.

I drive by that track about twice a month....It just sits and rots away.... I dont see NASCAR ever coming back to that track....They also have a bunch of trucks parked at the Oldham County fairgrounds in KY and across the river in Charlestown IN at the old amunition plant...

Computers on cars is a very bad thing.
Computers on vehicles allow 700 horsepower "stock" off of the showroom floor vehicles that produce 40 times less emissions. But yes they are in everything.

The OP may have stubbled upon the precursor to a recession. If buying slows down courier trucks will be getting parked. As an analogy, I was driving along the Missouri River in Montana and noticed hundreds of empty rail cars parked on the tracks with no locomotives. What was happening is that there were fewer loads being hauled as a precursor to the 2009 collapse and the Great Recession.

We simply do not need new vehicle production for a month, and keep ordering chips.

The Chip shortage will continue if they keep building new vehicles. just STOP COLD, and get a stock of chips, then things can begin to return to normal. Right now its "whatever comes in" it just isn't going to make things better.

Who eats the loss in this scenario?

So you are good with your investments in any manufacturing sector showing loss / losing value and laying off a significant portion of workers ?

Back