Ford Ranger 3,2 Duratorq

Hello everyone.

First post here.

I'm looking for oil advice.

I recently bought a 2016 Ford Ranger 3.2 Duratorq 5 Cyl engine, Euro 6.

The car has about 153000km or 95000 miles on the odometer.
Always serviced at the Ford dealer.

It has no guarantee left, so I intend to change the oil myself.

According to Ford, it should have oil spec WSS-M2C950-A
0W30 ACEA C2.

I have owned a few cars before that ran on C2 oil and long service intervals according to the book and the engines did not get old.

This Ford has load on the bed and sometimes pulls heavy trailers.

Would like an oil that is stable, and that the engine lasts a long time.

Does anyone have any suggestions ??

Thanks.

I would say you answered your own question,,,
"According to Ford, it should have oil spec WSS-M2C950-A
0W30 ACEA C2.

I have owned a few cars before that ran on C2 oil and long service intervals according to the book and the engines did not get old."

Any oil brand will be fine I’m personally a fan of Castrol and Valvoline mostly. As long as you get the viscosity needed for your area any brand will do you well.

Hello everyone.

First post here.

0W30 ACEA C2.

I have owned a few cars before that ran on C2 oil and long service intervals according to the book and the engines did not get old.

Thanks.
Here you go. Do not look anywhere else:

As suggested above....step up towards ACEA C3 spec....HTHS 3.5 min

C2 in your case is recommended only due to CAFE....lower the HTHS.... lower the protection!

C3 is base for LL OEM specs such as VW 504/507, MB 229.51/52 or BMW LL-04...

Since I am fan of gr. III+ oils (GTL base).... I would choose Mobil1 ESP or Shell helix ultra either AV-L or ECT (all 3 oils mentioned are VW 504/507.... Long drain....DPF friendly....and at least made out of GTL - - - Mobil1 is GTL/PAO blend)

As suggested above....step up towards ACEA C3 spec....HTHS 3.5 min

C2 in your case is recommended only due to CAFE....lower the HTHS.... lower the protection!

C3 is base for LL OEM specs such as VW 504/507, MB 229.51/52 or BMW LL-04...

Since I am fan of gr. III+ oils (GTL base).... I would choose Mobil1 ESP or Shell helix ultra either AV-L or ECT (all 3 oils mentioned are VW 504/507.... Long drain....DPF friendly....and at least made out of GTL - - - Mobil1 is GTL/PAO blend)
That Mobil1 is also C2.

Moreover...if you want to play safe (and stay with ACEA C2)

Both Mobil1 ESP and Shell ultra ECT are dual rated.... ACEA C2/C3...

Reads as....protection of C3 level.....but fuel efficiency of C2 (shows a good quality of a oil base)

Hello everyone.

First post here.

0W30 ACEA C2.

Thanks.
Hi Scania.
I thought i would mention this in case you did not know. It may save your engine.

Do not let the oil drain for long on this engine. You can't allow the oil pump to empty.

The following are a couple of warnings.

Ford-Ranger-3.2-Oil-Replacement-Tech-Tip.pdf (4wheeldriveguide.com)

Ford Ranger-Mazda Oil Service Tip (windows.net)

Apologies if you are aware of this.

Good advice from Tikka!

Also be aware the Rangers are prone to EGR cooler failures. Lots of info out there, worth researching. My work has a fleet comprised largely of Rangers and we've lost a couple of engines to this issue.

The Ranger is the most popular vehicle in New Zealand, they outsell everything else. Everyone puts a 5W-30 C3 into them. You've been warned about the oil change - do the filter first, and don't wander off and have a cup of coffee while it drains.

Thanks for the quick answers and great tips. I can get both Mobil 1 and Shell ECT here i Sweden. I will check out both oils.
It is better to know that the oil has a higher protection (C3) in the long run, instead of this CAFE .....
About the actual oil change and the 10 min rule, I knew about it on an earlier model when a friend had a 2013 Ranger 3.2 earlier, but I had hoped that this (problem) was fixed by Ford.
About the EGR cooler, it was something new for me, worth checking out.
Very good advice that will help.
Thanks from a new Ford owner.

Hi Scania.
I thought i would mention this in case you did not know. It may save your engine.

Do not let the oil drain for long on this engine. You can't allow the oil pump to empty.

The following are a couple of warnings.

Ford-Ranger-3.2-Oil-Replacement-Tech-Tip.pdf (4wheeldriveguide.com)

Ford Ranger-Mazda Oil Service Tip (windows.net)

Apologies if you are aware of this.
Is there priming procedure? In BMW when one changes oil filter housing there is priming procedure, starting vehicle for 10sec, break 20sec, and repeat that sequence 3 times. Injectors are disconnected.

Is there priming procedure? In BMW when one changes oil filter housing there is priming procedure, starting vehicle for 10sec, break 20sec, and repeat that sequence 3 times. Injectors are disconnected.
Hi edyvw.
Good question. There are some things posted online that sound pretty scary to me. Things like over filling with oil and using compressed air pressure!!!!

I do not want to post links lest they screw someones engine.

Maybe one of the Aussie or Kiwi lads know the correct procedure Ford would use.

Hi edyvw.
Good question. There are some things posted online that sound pretty scary to me. Things like over filling with oil and using compressed air pressure!!!!

I do not want to post links lest they screw someones engine.

Maybe one of the Aussie or Kiwi lads know the correct procedure Ford would use.
Yeah. I mean if it is known issue there should be some procedure. BMW's with external oil cooler if not primed can grenade rod bearings.

Every mechanic knows the procedure, it's the DIY types that can get into trouble. I've heard you fill the engine right up to get the oil level above the pump. I knew a guy who had a workshop with a hoist (lift) and he used to work on peoples cars after work...he was in the parts dept of the dealership. He thought he knew it all....and had a Ranger lose oil pressure on him after an oil change.

I talked with one of our fleet mechanics today, they use a C3 5w30 in our Rangers. The one I'm driving right now is 2 years old and has 132,000km with no issues...

Back