Ford loses 3 billion on EV

I've also noticed a lot of the people who despise electric cars, look up to Elon as some sort of martyr lately. I don't get it lol.

I don’t think people despise electric cars. It’s the big push to eliminating ICE vehicles that causes the outrage. Electric cars are not for everyone and do not make sense in many parts of the country. The idea of disruption is harmful to society.

I don’t think people despise electric cars. It’s the big push to eliminating ICE vehicles that causes the outrage. Electric cars are not for everyone and do not make sense in many parts of the country. The idea of disruption is harmful to society.
Actually disruption can be harmful or helpful. Henry Ford put us into cars with his disruptive Highland Park plant, right?

Regarding Elon, there is good and bad, likely both, depending on your point of view in the short term, and results, whatever they may be, in the longer term.

You know that's not true in either terms of absolute dollars or as % of GDP. It's close in terms of % of GDP.

Defense_Spending_as_a_Percent_of_GDP.png
I should’ve clarified. In modern history. Since we became a superpower. As a percentage of GDP.

And the times when we spent less left us woefully unprepared to be drawn onto the world stage.

And that’s only when viewed as a percentage of GDP.

As a percentage of budget, it’s never been lower.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
big fat lies abound in most new technologies but nothing like Tesla lies...
I know many auto manufacturers put false plateaus into temp gauges and some put false empty gauges in the petrol fuel tanks to protect people from themselves, but Tesliars are off the scale. Their achilles heal is distance between recharges and they are blatantly heaping lies upon lies upon deceit in order to attract wealthy people into their new glamorous, false-environmentally friendly technology.

big fat lies abound in most new technologies but nothing like Tesla lies...
I know many auto manufacturers put false plateaus into temp gauges and some put false empty gauges in the petrol fuel tanks to protect people from themselves, but Tesliars are off the scale. Their achilles heal is distance between recharges and they are blatantly heaping lies upon lies upon deceit in order to attract wealthy people into their new glamorous, false-environmentally friendly technology.
It's not only wealthy people, they're attracting the average Joe too, although a lot of people are catching on and don't like being played.

Carbon credits are an attempt to address negative externalities with regards CO2 emissions. It's essentially a way for consumers to pay for pollution which they didn't have to pay for in the past.

My point is that govts bailout companies all the time. The reasoning is irrelevant. In any case I'm talking the most recent bailouts of 2008.

What does WW2 have to do with this?

The idea behind developmental subsidies is to temporarily reduce the initial per unit costs so that a manufacturer can be given time to scale up and offer lower priced models in the future.

It took Tesla over 10 years to turn a profit so what exactly are you expecting from current EV companies? Some EV divisions within legacy automakers are profitable btw (ex VW, GM, BMW, etc).

Another tax… Do you love them ??? How about we tax you or me for breathing…. Passing methane …… Sounds good does it not ??

It’s utter garbage….

Carbon credits is just a garbage way for people to “ justify “ their own extravagance in owning large massive homes and their private jet usage…

And creating a pseudo “market” place to make it all seem ok…

Great post Pimtac…

It’s like saying to someone … isn’t that penguin real tasty ???

And they live in Florida…

I will keep saying this… people need to go to Cadex Battery University website… It is certainly not against batteries… It’s extremely informative and not biased…

Tesla profit/loss chart by year =
Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.37.38 AM.png

Ford profit/loss per year =
Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 8.39.08 AM.png

THIS PUTS THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE SOMETHING THAT SEEMS TO GET LOST IN HERE.
Fords worst year was Tesla's best year.

Last edited:
Reactions: OX1
Story should read Ford will make THIRTEEN billion dollars this year even after spending 3 billion developing its EV division
Puts it in the proper context doesn’t it?
That should make any pro EV person happy to be honest. Ford being profitable and able to fund these endeavors is what will keep Ford making EVs.

I love it how people who buy $60k or $70k Teslas are perceived as "wealthy" but those who buy ICE powered pickup trucks costing the same or more are not. Perhaps Tesla owners should start wearing pearl snap button shirts and cowboy hats to deflect the disdain that many seem to have for them.
Yeah, it comes up at lot and seems weird. I paid $47k for our Tesla and I stopped by the Ram dealer yesterday to see the window sticker on a Ram that caught my eye, a grey Laramie Sport. Good looking truck. $67k!

I love it how people who buy $60k or $70k Teslas are perceived as "wealthy" but those who buy ICE powered pickup trucks costing the same or more are not. Perhaps Tesla owners should start wearing pearl snap button shirts and cowboy hats to deflect the disdain that many seem to have for them.
Yup, the Model Y Performance and the i4 M50 are both in the same price bracket as my Jeep, in fact MSRP on my Jeep is higher than the Model Y Performance.

I think it's a spectrum. There are plenty that aren't informed on them. Others that looked into it and didn't think it would work for them. Some actively curious and considering it. I have ran into a small amount of people that have gotten hostile with me over the fact of buying one like I was helping some sworn enemy and everywhere in between. The way my company works I don't see everyone I work with often. I've been there going on 2 years and there's still guys I haven't worked with. I don't know who I'm working with until the phone rings and when we start work its a question that comes up quick with guys I don't know personally yet that are into cars because it's pretty well known that I own an EV. There's only 3 of us that do. Most conversations are awesome. I would never have thought an EV would be the thing to kick off a car guy conversation, but it runs the gamut. Out of the people I work with two got very angry about it. It was weird. I'm just never sure where it's going to go with the conversation first starts.

All that to say I think there's a very small percentage of people who do despise electric cars and I find it odd, but I think that can be blamed on the idea that some think the EV is killing the ICE car. If that happens that's policy doing that, not the car itself. I think with some it's hard to separate the two. Most are either indifferent or have a small bit of curiosity about EVs.

This is very true. When I pull into my gun club's parking lot on a Sunday morning, I have to squeeze into a parking place that is surrounded by $85K+ 3500 Series Crew Cab Dually pickups. And I can't go anywhere in town without seeing at least 3 Raptors on the road before I get where I'm going.

The difference, at least in some cases, is if you need a diesel pickup to tow for your business, you really can't spend less than 60 grand. We really are talking a LOT more vehicle on a 3/4 -1 ton, compared to anything Tesla makes.

Can we all just agree that buying a low mile 10 to 20 year old vehicle in a non-rust climate, then keeping it for another 10 to 20 years while adhering to strict BITOG standards, is ALWAYS the right thing to do?

If so, am I really nailing the bullseye by buying a 10 year old Volt, LEAF or MiEV that has a brand spanking new battery deep within its body?

Or am I just engaging in a personal pontification of penurious plenitude by buying an EV in the first place?

Let's ask the TV! If I'm just failing miserably at living up to those mythical ethical standards of those media extremists whose corproate sponsored drivel seems to guide the opinions of most judgmental people these days, should I just avoid all forms of commercial influence and just buy myself a 2003 Saturn Ion with roll up windows, a 5-speed, and $25 Walmart wheel covers?

Should it be a Level 1 trim? Level 2? Or do I go for the Level 3 that features power windows and AUX?

At what point can the average person be left alone and just buy whatever they want? Really? What's the point of judging someone who is probably never going to listen to you in the first place? Especially when all you're really doing is echoing some badly biased talking head who isn't getting paid to look out for the average Joe or Jane.

Where is Clint Eastwood and his glass of water available when we need them!!!

Back