Ford has $2B more in warranty costs than GM

Here lies the issue. Every manufacturer makes a couple turkeys, usually a bad transmission, bad engine design. I like to think we're smarter on this site that we can dive into the technological aspect to know what powertrains to avoid but instead we have people polluting threads and bashing entire car companies and sometimes entire continents of vehicles.

A lot of this cost could be Fiesta transmissions and Takata airbags. Would that stop me from buying an F-150? Heck no.
Oh yeah I totally agree there. I know the problem with their transmissions as I have two Ford vehicles one the transmission was having some issues so we temporarily fixed it for now till it fully goes out but it’s also 26 years old. My Escape the way they have the engine in it I’m not a fan of it’s a V6 but it’s Transverse and not longitudinal which I feel is a poor design on their part and everything is crammed into it. I also feel the internal timing chain driven water pump is a bad design as well. But still I would totally buy from them again knowing all this stuff has been or will be addressed.

Oh yeah I totally agree there. I know the problem with their transmissions as I have two Ford vehicles one the transmission was having some issues so we temporarily fixed it for now till it fully goes out but it’s also 26 years old. My Escape the way they have the engine in it I’m not a fan of it’s a V6 but it’s Transverse and not longitudinal which I feel is a poor design on their part and everything is crammed into it. I also feel the internal timing chain driven water pump is a bad design as well. But still I would totally buy from them again knowing all this stuff has been or will be addressed.

Nearly every manufacturer makes a transverse mount FWD V6 so you can't fault them for that. I'm also not a fan of that package so I try to avoid them.

Nearly every manufacturer makes a transverse mount FWD V6 so you can't fault them for that. I'm also not a fan of that package so I try to avoid them.
Yeah well I got a extremely good deal on it so was hard to pass up lol. $800 for a 2008 Escape with 160,000 on it from my aunt she was just tired of the sunroof leaking.

Just wait until the rear shock towers rust out...
LOL. Gosh I hope not it’s from New York she had no idea when she bought it where it was from. So I’m guessing the shock towers must be a problem on them? The axles just started popping too so those are up for replacement as well.

which is why they ditched navistar and made their own decent powerplant...

When they had lots of problems with their in-house designed 'Scorpion' replacement, one specific problem was the HPFP, they denied lots of warranty claims. GM, who used the same HPFP at the time, honored warranty claims.

I can think of a long line of Ford failures from my time in consumer car repair. BUT, I've also owned a few Fords. The Excursion I owned was trouble free, except for the occasional vandalism by, ahem, 'green people'.

LOL. Gosh I hope not it’s from New York she had no idea when she bought it where it was from. So I’m guessing the shock towers must be a problem on them? The axles just started popping too so those are up for replacement as well.
Common enough that there are aftermarket replacements.

cut out the rust, remove the seam sealer and weld or rivet the replacements.

also directions to just make a metal box bolted to the frame rail and then make a fiberglass replacement for the cut out sheet metal

My daughter just traded her 05 with over 186k miles on a one owner same dealer 2015 Toyota Certified used Prius. Basically the worthless Escape plus $15k for a 49k mile Prius with a Toyota warranty included.

Common enough that there are aftermarket replacements.

cut out the rust, remove the seam sealer and weld or rivet the replacements.

also directions to just make a metal box bolted to the frame rail and then make a fiberglass replacement.

My daughter just traded her 05 with over 186k miles on a one owner same dealer 2015 Toyota Certified used Prius. Basically the worthless Escape plus $15k for a 49k mile Prius with a Toyota warranty included.
That’s nice. I appreciate the heads up that’s not a repair I look forward to doing lol. We plan on keeping it long term we just got it in September I went over the suspension so far I didn’t see any on the suspension hardly but I’ll keep an eye out it’s been down here in the south since 2014.

Where in this report does it say that.? Most of the time there is no comspirancy but simple imcompetance

Keep in mind the Ford/GM comparison is for the first 9 months of 2020 only. And this was heavily influenced by launch issues of the Explorer, so this may not be the enduring trend folks are assuming. (Not to say Ford hasn’t had issues, said the former Focus DCT owner...)

I think you are combining the higher propensity for roll-over (a trait shared with most SUV's of that era) with the firestone exploding tire fiasco, which ultimately was put at the feet of Firestone, not Ford, despite Ford indeed spec'ing an unusually low pressure for the pre-facelift first gen Explorer.

The fact that these short wheelbase SUV's (Jimmy, Blazer, Explorer, Sidekick...etc) were more inclined towards rollover in the event of an evasive maneuver or correction as the result of a tire failure was exasperated by the fact that of course Ford was indeed experiencing tire failures.

15" rims with relatively high profile tires was completely normal for the era and was the case on pretty much all trucks and SUV's at the time.
That's closer.

It was a perfect storm of high center of mass, tread-separation-prone tires, barely adequate pressure specification, and user negligence (speeding with fully loaded vehicle, with pressure often even lower than specified).

"Accentuated" or "exaggerated," NOT "exasperated"!

Where in this report does it say that.? Most of the time there is no comspirancy but simple imcompetance

There's literally an entire Wiki on this subject. There's no conspiracy, this is well-known in Canada. Gilles Vaillancourt, who was the mayor of Laval from 1989 to 2012, was investigated as part of this.

One of the construction bosses was noted as having mob connections;

Article on some of the accused:

The two companies that were mentioned in the Inquiry on the bridge collapse were:
- Desjardins Sauriol et Associés (DSA)
- Acier d'Armature de Montreal (AAM)

The latter for the QC problems.

Some investigation into the (non) repairs made to the bridge in 1992 (deep in the period where the aforementioned scandals were taking place) left a lot of questions with some contradictory answers:

And of course a Macleans article that simply states exactly what I've said here:

Macleans said:
The province’s dubious history stretches further back to the 1970s, and to the widespread corruption in the construction industry as Quebec rushed through one megaproject after another. Much of the industry at the time, according to a provincial commission, was “composed of tricksters, crooks and scum” whose ties to the Montreal mafia, and predilection for violence, was renowned.

I suggest reading that whole piece.

As I said, Quebec has a history, it's not news for any Canadian. What I am surprised about is a guy from Ohio telling me that it isn't so 🤷‍♂️ Did you live in Quebec at some point?

That's closer.

It was a perfect storm of high center of mass, tread-separation-prone tires, barely adequate pressure specification, and user negligence (speeding with fully loaded vehicle, with pressure often even lower than specified).

"Accentuated" or "exaggerated," NOT "exasperated"!

Exasperate, in the sense of "increase to a higher degree" or "increase the intensity of" does fit.

Exasperate, in the sense of "increase to a higher degree" does fit.
Did it not pre date stability systems … I have personally been saved on a day when I drove my SUV into the edge of new rain behind a dry spell … right in a hard curve.

It responded amazingly (GM) and winked back that it had (dash message)

Did it not pre date stability systems … I have personally been saved on a day when I drove my SUV into the edge of new rain behind a dry spell … right in a hard curve.

It responded amazingly (GM) and winked back that it had (dash message)

Yes, WAY before stability systems.

The Samurai/Tracker was far more inclined towards rollover than the Explorer, but it didn't have the tire failure problem so it didn't get the same amount of news. Of the Explorers, the shorter wheelbase "sport" model was the worst, but the Jimmy wasn't much better.

Back