Ford five-hundred tranny going bad, no money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 7055
I'm not going to do that but why would a dealer be responsible for fixing a quick lubes mistake?
a dealer wouldn't, but the quick lube would.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
There was a TSB on the transmission valve body for that year.I went through quite a bit with mine for that very thing.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jmcdo28/2009-10-02_013559_tsb08-24-01.pdf

Thanks, I called a Ford Dealership about this,they said if it is the issue it's a cost of $1500 in parts to fix plus labor. What is this "Main Control" part? Is it something within the transmission itself?

For my car, the Ford dealer will only sell you the entire valve body for over $1000, but I can go to transmissionpartsusa.com and only buy the part I actually need for $80.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
There was a TSB on the transmission valve body for that year.I went through quite a bit with mine for that very thing.

Thanks, I called a Ford Dealership about this,they said if it is the issue it's a cost of $1500 in parts to fix plus labor. What is this "Main Control" part? Is it something within the transmission itself?

For my car, the Ford dealer will only sell you the entire valve body for over $1000, but I can go to transmissionpartsusa.com and only buy the part I actually need for $80.

So are you saying this may be the issue and I could possibly fix my car for around $80 or do you think the whole tranny still needs to be replaced?

So I'm in college right now and need a car to last me but I don't have much money. My '06 Five-Hundred has almost 230,000 miles on it (six speed) and the transmission is going out

What I want to know is how you can drive 230,000 miles in less than eight years??? If you drove less, your transmission likely would not be worn out and you'd have saved a large amount of $$$ on gas...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
So I'm in college right now and need a car to last me but I don't have much money. My '06 Five-Hundred has almost 230,000 miles on it (six speed) and the transmission is going out

What I want to know is how you can drive 230,000 miles in less than eight years??? If you drove less, your transmission likely would not be worn out and you'd have saved a large amount of $$$ on gas...

Some people drive a lot for their job? iirc, we have a member who recently posted his 100k for his F-150 that he's had what, two years? What business is it of yours how much people drive exactly?

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Some people drive a lot for their job? iirc, we have a member who recently posted his 100k for his F-150 that he's had what, two years? What business is it of yours how much people drive exactly?

I believe that in another thread the OP stated he bought it used. I think it was previously it was used for business travel.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: The_Eric
After reading your other thread, it sounds like you may have gotten the wrong fluid. Before I tried replacing it, I'd go to the dealer, and get the fluid bdcardinal listed, the filters and service the tranny correctly.

I was just under a 05 or 06 Five Hundred today and they didn't look terrible to do, but looks can be both deceiving and subjective.
no replaceable filter on the 500's. drain it and toss some Maxlife in her.

Hmmm... I was just going off of the parts list.

Geeze...

What is it with people suggesting that the OP try and deliberately get a quick lube pimple face to install the wrong fluid and set them up to replace it?

This is as bad as the shops ripping customers off.

I wish the mods would delete comments like that.

Thats not all that much. I average about 45k a year in my work truck. We have several that do 60+k a year in the fleet.

So are you saying this may be the issue and I could possibly fix my car for around $80 or do you think the whole tranny still needs to be replaced?

Does anybody have any thoughts on this last quote?

And to answer your question it used to be an old business vehicle I picked up cheap to go to college.

Exactly what's wrong with the transmission? Did I somehow miss that part?

Exactly what's wrong with the transmission? Did I somehow miss that part?

I don't know what's wrong with it, that's what I'm asking you. I was wondering if that $80 part could be the sole culprit and could save me the hassle of replacing a tranny. I linked to a thread in a previous post that explains the issues I'm having with the tranny.

If it were me, I would go to the Toyota dealer and buy a few quarts of T-IV and do a drain and fill to see if it helps because you don't know if you got the right fluid at Ford. At 230k though, the transmission owes you nothing.

And, from the sounds of it, you don't seem mechanically inclined enough to replace the transmission yourself without help from someone who knows what he is doing. I'm not that mechanically savvy either so I know I wouldn't touch it myself as it could end up costing a lot more than paying someone to replace it in the first place.

There's no updates, I won't be doing this until the end of summer.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
If it were me, I would go to the Toyota dealer and buy a few quarts of T-IV and do a drain and fill to see if it helps because you don't know if you got the right fluid at Ford. At 230k though, the transmission owes you nothing.

And, from the sounds of it, you don't seem mechanically inclined enough to replace the transmission yourself without help from someone who knows what he is doing. I'm not that mechanically savvy either so I know I wouldn't touch it myself as it could end up costing a lot more than paying someone to replace it in the first place.

I have done it before

They are known for going bad sorry to say. And if its the AWD model, good luck finding somebody to do the job other than Ford. Most techs won't touch them. I know Advance Auto Parts can get a trans for that vehicle, price - maybe around 4500$. I'd trade it in ASAP.

Originally Posted By: adomzz
They are known for going bad sorry to say. And if its the AWD model,
Aisin's are darn strong trannies and are proven to be reliable. The AWD's use CVT's that have sketchy reliability at best.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: adomzz
They are known for going bad sorry to say. And if its the AWD model,
Aisin's are darn strong trannies and are proven to be reliable. The AWD's use CVT's that have sketchy reliability at best.

True about the FWD Aisin autobox, as long as your change t he fluid about every 40-50k miles it will keep performing as new for over 250k miles.

Can you guys tell me if this is the correct fluid? This is the fluid the dealership gave me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back