Ford F-150 Lightning named MotorTrend Truck of the Year

Have you tried to buy a Gremlin lately? (or a Pinto or a Monza for that matter)

RE Hoovies experience - I'm perplexed about how an empty aluminum trailer could have such an impact. I thought that these had an onboard scale which was supposed to calculate accurate load and range... doesn't make sense for an empty aluminum trailer to hurt it so badly.

It would be interesting to run it until it actually quit to see if the range calculation was accurate, but i understand not wanting to do that to your 90,000.00 truck - inconvienace aside...

The guys at TFL truck had one as well also had issues with towing I believe. Hoovie gets a lot of credit for his, but TFL has a lot of videos on YouTube about the one they had...

Hold up....what about when the batteries need to be replaced? Anybody do the math on that? Towing is a joke.

Well I would say it's acceptable to have a mistake every 50 years or even less than every 50 years! :)
Yes, if it was only once in 50 years. As someone else pointed out, it is about how much the manufacturer spent on advertising. I am not knocking the Lightning, people I have talked to like theirs, and I am happy with my Mach E. I am 3 days away from one year since I got it.

Most full size pickups around here are DD and rarely see a boat, trailer etc.

Man just hateful over new tech. It's obviously truck of the year for being ballsy to make the most popular vehicle in the US electric. It might not actually be the best vehicle of the year, but it's a step in the right direction. If you haven't driven an electric vehicle I highly recommend it. It's the most refined, luxurious driving experience you can have. This is the ultimate tool around town truck how 95% use their trucks.

How long will it be before Ford announces a major recall on the F-150 Lightning for serious issues ? Based upon historical recall data for the ICE lineup from Ford who has had about 110 years of experience building those type of vehicles and still manages to have serious problems requiring recalls, I don't have much confidence in their EV lineup.

Kudos to ford for getting it to market before their real competition.

My problem with this truck is that simply isn't competitive in terms of charging performance.

Its not just the lightning either - Ford is not competitive (mach E or lightning) from a charging perspective offering sub 2010 charging performance in 2022/3 and this will greatly affect trip times requiring multiple charges.

As an overnight rig or 1 charge trip- its ok, starting a trip requiring 2 or more charge stops - you are going to be waiting.

With a battery this big there is just no excuse for its sub par charging.

As per Jim Farley in the interview with Autoline daily - "we had no idea how difficult the charging piece would be."

I think they were 262... some of them had a tiny V8
Here’s a couple pages from Wiki. Enjoy.

9AA7C928-98F9-4507-9F5B-3CDF04E6D00E.png
39141905-3F1E-4C69-A3C6-5FF6B3F1414B.png

Man just hateful over new tech. It's obviously truck of the year for being ballsy to make the most popular vehicle in the US electric. It might not actually be the best vehicle of the year, but it's a step in the right direction. If you haven't driven an electric vehicle I highly recommend it. It's the most refined, luxurious driving experience you can have. This is the ultimate tool around town truck how 95% use their trucks.

Few here know anything about BEV's, and even fewer have any actual experience.

These will be California pickups. Market penetration of EV’s in 49 states is rather poor compared to California. Notice the log scale to make it less apparent.

C196534B-2175-43A8-AC9A-E83B9393EC99.png

Kudos to ford for getting it to market before their real competition.

My problem with this truck is that simply isn't competitive in terms of charging performance.

Its not just the lightning either - Ford is not competitive (mach E or lightning) from a charging perspective offering sub 2010 charging performance in 2022/3 and this will greatly affect trip times requiring multiple charges.

As an overnight rig or 1 charge trip- its ok, starting a trip requiring 2 or more charge stops - you are going to be waiting.

With a battery this big there is just no excuse for its sub par charging.

As per Jim Farley in the interview with Autoline daily - "we had no idea how difficult the charging piece would be."
Well, the extended range battery is twice the size of a model 3 battery. Nothing has changed from ICE, an F150 gets half the gas mileage of a Camry so it comes with a 26 gallon tank vs the Camry's 14 gallon tank.

Back