Ford Edge water pump replacement

I have a 2013 Ford Edge with a 3.5 with about 120K. I'm replacing the water pump out of preventive maintenance. I'm doing the timing chains as well; I plan on getting a Cloyes's timing chain kit Motorcraft water pump, felpro gasket set, OEM front main seal, OEM crank bolt. OEM thermostat. 3 gallons of Peak antifreeze, 6 quarts Mobil 1 synthetic oil. That he recommended I change in about a 1500 miles. Mechanic that will be doing it worked for Ford for 20 years till he opened up his own shop. So he's done a few of these.. 😂 It will come with some sort of TechNet warranty Two years 24,000 miles Nationwide warranty. Plugs coil packs, serpentine belt has all been replaced, stretch belt has to be replaced can't be reused. Tensioner has been replaced as well.. my question is. Is Cloyes a good timing kit? Has anyone here used them before? I know they're very well known. Cloyes and Melling..
Thank you...

JMO I’d stick with ford components with this one. I haven’t used anything other than ford parts for these motors so I can’t comment on cloyes quality for this application.

Last edited:
I used the Cloyes kit on a 4.6 ten years ago and it was fine. It may have even come with OEM parts, can't recall now. My only question would be, why spend thousands on these jobs as a preventative measure? Seems like a waste of money if a month or year later the car gets totaled or stolen. The chains on my 4.6 went to 288,000 miles before I replaced them.

I used the Cloyes kit on a 4.6 ten years ago and it was fine. It may have even come with OEM parts, can't recall now. My only question would be, why spend thousands on these jobs as a preventative measure? Seems like a waste of money if a month or year later the car gets totaled or stolen. The chains on my 4.6 went to 288,000 miles before I replaced them.
because the water pump is inside the timing cover and if it leaks coolant goes directly into the oil and destroys the engine. Ford's transverse 3.5 is known for this. Take the labor cost hit once.

My wife absolutely loves her Edge and won’t consider anything else. I’ll admit it is really nice and has given us zero trouble.

How much would one expect to pay a dealer to have preemptively replaced? I was considering that route at 100k (she’s a long way off) or just getting her another then.

My wife absolutely loves her Edge and won’t consider anything else. I’ll admit it is really nice and has given us zero trouble.

How much would one expect to pay a dealer to have preemptively replaced? I was considering that route at 100k (she’s a long way off) or just getting her another then.

The dealership wants $3200. Private shop that was highly recommended, by several other private shops, and I found out that he worked for the same Ford dealer for 20 years wants $2100. I love my Edge as well. I've had zero problems out of it. I've had it since 2015.

My wife has a 2009 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.7 version of the 3.5. Totally crap design by Ford to locate the water pump where they did. Found a local shop about 20 miles away that specializes in these replacements and they have all the parts they buy in bulk to do these. Our water pump lasted 190K miles which is a lot longer than many 3.5's and 3.7's lasted from what I have read. They charged $1650.

My wife has a 2009 Mazda CX-9 with the 3.7 version of the 3.5. Totally crap design by Ford to locate the water pump where they did. Found a local shop about 20 miles away that specializes in these replacements and they have all the parts they buy in bulk to do these. Our water pump lasted 190K miles which is a lot longer than many 3.5's and 3.7's lasted from what I have read. They charged $1650.

How many miles you have on it since the replacement?

I don’t own one. I’m a tech. But I wouldn’t hesitate to buy this platform.

Don't forget the tiny VCT seals if not on intergalactic backorder. 90% of the time you can reuse them but it made me REALLY nervous.

I personally think Melling OEM'd the Ford stuff. My Melling kit from RA had the Ford logos ground off one chain guide. This one:
20230319_075523.jpg

The thing I found frustrating was the lone link on the main chain was barely a different color -- it was more like a different hue in the right light wearing the right glasses at the right time of year when the sun was in its third apogee and the tilt of the earth was 22.9542 degrees and wind speed was less than 1.532 mph. Once I finally located it I colored with a Sharpie. Sigh.

Also you may need an updated bolt for one of the updated guides. Or in '13 you may already have the updated guide. That gets really murky IME

Don't forget the tiny VCT seals if not on intergalactic backorder. 90% of the time you can reuse them but it made me REALLY nervous.

I personally think Melling OEM'd the Ford stuff. My Melling kit from RA had the Ford logos ground off one chain guide. This one:View attachment 145782

The thing I found frustrating was the lone link on the main chain was barely a different color -- it was more like a different hue in the right light wearing the right glasses at the right time of year when the sun was in its third apogee and the tilt of the earth was 22.9542 degrees and wind speed was less than 1.532 mph. Once I finally located it I colored with a Sharpie. Sigh.

Also you may need an updated bolt for one of the updated guides. Or in '13 you may already have the updated guide. That gets really murky IME
Valve cover gasket kit comes with them little seals..

What are you talking about I had one quote of $4200 LOL

That’s even more crazy. These can be done in less than an 8 hour day if you know what you’re doing. All you need for parts is a valve cover set, water pump, timing chain kit, a tube of RTV, a front seal and some coolant. Definitely not 4200$. That’s a get lost price.

That’s even more crazy. These can be done in less than an 8 hour day if you know what you’re doing. All you need for parts is a valve cover set, water pump, timing chain kit, a tube of RTV, a front seal and some coolant. Definitely not 4200$. That’s a get lost price.
Yeah really!! They charge you all that book time.. and mark up the cost of parts.. you're more than welcome to do the job if you want.. LOL

Back