Ford 6.0 PSD experts chime in!

Was driving my beloved (and so hated) 2005 Ford F350 last week to the races, pulling a loaded 40ft race trailer up the interstate when it just completely shut off at 75mph! This truck only has 150k miles on it and has been meticulously maintained. EGR and all that long gone as well as the other shortcomings that plagued these trucks.

I immediately thought IPR valve and scanned it, only made about 55psi of ICP when cranking (requires 500psi to start). Pulled the IPR and tested it, all looks good there so I figure HPOP and/or STC fitting failure. I picked up the ICP air adapter and put shop air into the high pressure oil system and the only minor leak I can see/hear is the STC fitting. Anyone every had a leaking STC shut the truck completely down and not restart? I didn't think it was possible but I'm out of ideas now... don't want to put it all together only to find I'm missing something.

If the STC fitting pops, it will indeed stall the motor. Yours sounds about the right pressure for a blown STC fitting. When you pull the HPOP cover make sure it didn’t crack the rear cover. When it blows out under high pressure it can happen, although it is rare.

As long as you’ve had that truck I’m surprised you haven’t updated the fitting to the threaded unit. It is a known problem and this is what happens when it fails.

Last edited:
If the STC fitting pops, it will indeed stall the motor. Yours sounds about the right pressure for a blown STC fitting. When you pull the HPOP cover make sure it didn’t crack the rear cover. When it blows out under high pressure it can happen, although it is rare.

As long as you’ve had that truck I’m surprised you haven’t updated the fitting to the threaded unit. It is a known problem and this is what happens when it fails.
Cover is off and checked the back, doesn't appear to have blown completely apart and I see no cracks thankfully! Its been one of those trucks that has just always been reliable, and I'm the type that says "don't fix if it ain't broke" lol Guess it got me this time! The tow bill was painfull...

It was a pretty noticeable leak with only 120psi of shop air, so I can assume when its 2000-3000psi that its severe enough to completely lose high pressure oil and not run or start?

The FICM can up and fail but usually give signs first. Also with the known wiring harness chaffing, it is possible if a very critical signal wire gets cut or shorted the same can happen.

Thank you sir for chiming in! I'm putting a new HPOP on this week along with the new STC fitting. I figured while I've got it down this far I am going to not take any chances of it being a bad pump.
The pumps on the 05+ trucks with cast pumps are near bullet proof. It was the early “swash plate”aluminum housing pumps that were junk. You could have spent 80 bucks on a STC kit and be done and saved your 900$ on the pump. I can count on one hand the amount of times I’ve changed one of those pumps, and most of those were freak failures. They all would leak back into the oil filter housing (you’d hear heavy gurgling noises on air test). If you didn’t hear any I wouldn’t change it. But that’s JMO.

I got a great deal on a new HPOP with the updated STC fitting so I just went ahead and replace it all. I had a very audible "rattle" in the engine for a bout a year that always sounded like it was coming from the HPOP area. Got the truck buttoned up yesterday and fired. Ran rough for a bit until all the air was purged and now she runs and sounds like new. Man what a job that was...

If you d never done it before it certainly can beat you up. Did you pull the intake or did you sneak the hpop cover off with it in place?

If you d never done it before it certainly can beat you up. Did you pull the intake or did you sneak the hpop cover off with it in place?
Tried like heck to sneak the cover out but it wasn't happening! With my luck I was certainly going to drop a bolt on the motor while fighting it!

Went ahead and pulled the intake and EGR cooler, replaced all gaskets and O rings which was a good thing, as they all needed it!

Back