Ford 5.4 Liter Valve Noise - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine also does this. It only did it occasionally with penzoil 5w20 or Schaeffer's 5w30, but since I put in the Castrol syntec blend 5w20 it has done it EVERY morning! I have only put about 300 miles on this oil, but I still think I am going to dump it today! My choices are Mobil 1 0w20, Motorcraft 5w20, Amsoil 5w30, or Schaeffer's 5w30. Any opinions are appreciated.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by PaulTocko:
I have a 2001 Ford F150 with the 5.4 Liter V8 and since day one it has always made valve noise when starting.

Go to any of the Ford Truck forums and you can read about piston slap until the cows come home.

Black f250. My wifes 98 5.4 is not too noisy. I think they are all noisy at start up. my 98 v6 is more like you all describe. I have gotten the most noise from castrol products and the least noise from havoline synthetics esp the 10w30. It really likes that one for some reason. Except for driving you nuts its not a problem. Just fire it up go back inside, finish your coffe and drive off.
cheers.gif

I can sympathize as I also hate motor rattles at startup.

It could be three things.

Lifter drain down due to the fact that lifters were designed to work on slightly thicker oil than we use today.

Piston slap . Here again, with almost no skirts on pistons these days and the ring pack high up on the piston, there is going to be some noise for a few seconds till the piston starts to expand with heat in the bore.

Bearing clatter. Thin oil drains back from the pump etc and for a few seconds at startup there is NO oil pressure.

My solution. Buy a high quality 12 volt DC relay and wire this relay so that it acts as a switch for the fuel pump.

Run the winding side of the relay to an easily located, but hidden switch. Now you have a very affective theft prevention solution and you can turn the motor over a few times to build up oil pressure before starting.

Everyone, Thanks for the replys. Couple of things, First, I'm pretty certain it is valve noise and not piston slap. Second, I agree with the poster regarding engines made to run on thicker oils than being used today; that's one of the reasons I switched to the Schaeffers 5W-30. Only reason I can think of as to why Ford (and others) recommends 5W-20 is so they can squeeze a little more fuel efficiency out of these V-8's and make CAFE laws. My dealer has even told me that using 5W-30 is fine for that motor. In any event, it sounds like its "normal" and I will just have to live with it. Thanks again for the help everyone, I appreciate it.

I have a 2001 Ford F150 with the 5.4 Liter V8 and since day one it has always made valve noise when starting. It usually clears within a 5 seconds (10 at the most) but it drives me crazy. At 5000, 10,000, 15,000 and 20,000 mile intervals I used the Motorcraft 5W-20 with Motorcraft oil filter (what Ford recommends). At 25,000 (this past weekend) I switched to Schaeffer 7000 5w-30 with a Napa Gold filter (but may also use Wix in the future depending on what's on sale). The switch to Schaeffer has reduced both the noise level and the length of time it makes the noise but it is still there. Is there anything worth trying to get rid of this or is this normal for this motor and I shouldn't even bother trying. Any help anyone can lend would be greatly appreciated
gr_eek2.gif
. Thanks.

Got the exact same setup on my truck. I think two things come into play here. 1st, a lot of us are not used to aluminum heads. They are noiser than their iron head cousins. 2nd, be sure it's in the heads, you could have cold piston knock. But either way, if the noise is going away within 5 secs or so, I wouldn't worry about it, even if it is cold piston knock. a lot of us have it and the UOA's are showing up great. I believe Ford had fixed the cold piston knock by the 01 models, so you may just have valve noise going on. One thing I do when it's real cold is floor the gas pedal, then crank. On the Fords at least, the engine won't start that way. Turn it over a few times, then lift off of the gas pedal and it will fire up. This way, you are getting some oil circulating and at least getting it moving before that engine cranks and jumps to 2K rpm right off the bat. Mine has been doing that since I've had it. My '90 Cutlass does it and has been doing it for some time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm using M1 5W-30 and Motorcraft filter, FL820S, which is factory spec. Other members have tried different oil combinations, but the same results. I suppose you could get a pre-oiler that would bring your oil pressure up prior to startup, but you better have some bucks handy. I just feel it's the nature of the beast.

[ March 31, 2004, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Schmoe ]

I had the same issue with a 4.6 SOHC. The modular motors are known for developing this noise and I am not sure if it is the lifters or chain tensioners. i know that in the 4.6 DOHC the secondary chain tensioners are the cause for start up noise.

Anyway, I tried many oils in my 4.6 to get rid of the noise. M1 5W-30 and 10W-30, Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, SuperTech, etc. THEN I tried Amsoil S2K 0W-30 and I couldn't believe it. the annoying start up noise was gone immediately and never returned. I am still high on S2K for the modular engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back