Ford 4.6 random engine miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is about my mother in law's 2001 Crown Vic. 4.6 liter engine, automatic transmission, about 115,000 miles on the car. The car sits without being driven for 6 months of the year, my mother in law is a snowbird and goes back up to Ohio for Spring and Summer. I have no real maintenance history on the car, she does not know if it has ever had a tune-up. She brought the car to my house today for its yearly oil change and during lunch she said the engine felt like it was skipping or hesitating. She also said it had a lack of power and was getting bad gas mileage. I test drove it before changing the oil or anything else and when going about 30 or 40 mph it definitely did have a bad skip or miss in the engine. It would happen 2 or 3 times in quick succession and then go back to running normally. I could also punch the gas and it would clear up and run OK. It seemed to happen more often under a load such as going uphill.

During my test drive I stopped at the BP station, filled the tank with BP 87 and added a bottle of High Mileage Regane. Prior to putting gas in it the tank was about half full with Walmart 87 mixed with however much Walmart gas she put in before parking the car 6 months ago when she went back home to Ohio. I drove the car maybe 15 miles further and it seemed to run a little better, the skip/hesitation was not as bad and not happening as often.

When I got home I changed the oil and cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF Cleaner and let ot dry while changing the oil. I also replaced the air filter today. I took another test drive and the skip/hesitation was still there at slower speeds just not nearly as bad. I did scan for trouble codes, there were none stored and none pending. The fuel trims on my scanner all looked OK to me but I am no expert at interpreting those.

My mother in law drove back to her house 60 miles from here, she called us when she got home and said the car was running much better and not having the problem nearly as often. I would appreciate any help or info from the Ford guys here, I do not know Fords very well myself. Is there a sensor or coil pack problem that happens on the 4.6 or I was thinking maybe it is a Throttle Position Sensor going bad? I think the Regane and quality BP gas helped some but would not have been enough to completely fix the problem. Thanks for any help on this, I would like to fix it for her, she is on a fixed income and can not really afford to take it to a shop.

Check the PCV/vac elbow near the throttle body. They like to crack.

Can your scantool read mode $6 data? It will show you the TID and misfire counts for each cylinder. The app "Forscan" will let you see the misfire counters on your laptop/phone if you have a USB/bluetooth OBDII adapter.

Long term and short term added together at idle should be +/- 5.

Remember, a misfire will make your O2 sensors read lean, not rich. During the stuttering you should see your B1S1 and B2S1 O2 sensors go near .15 volts or maybe as low as .08.

If you have very positive total trim at idle that approaches something closer to 0 at 3000 rpm then it's a vacuum leak almost certainly.

Don't go throwing parts at it. You're likely to cost yourself more money.

With individual ignition coils on each cylinder, odds are you have at least one coil, if not a few going out...

KingCake is likely on the right track. I used the Torque app and test $53 to find two bad coils on one truck, and another one on my current V8 Explorer.

Symptom was a nagging hesitation on acceleration or under light throttle application around 40 mph.

If the coils have never been done it would not be surprising to have one or a couple failing...

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
With individual ignition coils on each cylinder, odds are you have at least one coil, if not a few going out...

KingCake is likely on the right track. I used the Torque app and test $53 to find two bad coils on one truck, and another one on my current V8 Explorer.

Symptom was a nagging hesitation on acceleration or under light throttle application around 40 mph.

If the coils have never been done it would not be surprising to have one or a couple failing...

Yep torque works well. I'd suggest to the OP to replace the plugs with MC fine wires. As your spark plug gap opens from wear the harder and hotter your coils run because of the higher KV required.

Where does one get the "Forscan" app? Also, is that "$6, $53 etc. nomenclature a feature of Forscan?

I ask because my friend has a 4.6l in a '97 F-150 with a small miss.

Frankly I cannot hear it. He'll point out the missing as we ascend his hill. "There...there........there....there. Hear them? I never do.

FYI: His engine has the two coil packs (each serving 4 cylinders); one on the front end of each valve cover. Ergo he doesn't have individual coils.

Sounds like if it cleared up after new fuel, that maybe it was an old fuel issue. Have her start using a different brand of fuel and also use a stabil type product (clearance @ Meijer's & Target at times) on the last fueling before the car sits. This is a lot less expensive to try before replacing coils. Did you change the fuel filter? Does she use apps on her phone? Gas buddy is a good tool if she is needing to find better prices on fuel while she's traveling.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Where does one get the "Forscan" app? Also, is that "$6, $53 etc. nomenclature a feature of Forscan?

I ask because my friend has a 4.6l in a '97 F-150 with a small miss.

Frankly I cannot hear it. He'll point out the missing as we ascend his hill. "There...there........there....there. Hear them? I never do.

FYI: His engine has the two coil packs (each serving 4 cylinders); one on the front end of each valve cover. Ergo he doesn't have individual coils.

Forscan is free on PC and few bucks in the Android app store. http://forscan.org/home.html Torque will work too.

The $ notation represents what's known as mode 6 data in OBDII speak.

Originally Posted By: QUIKSVT
Sounds like if it cleared up after new fuel, that maybe it was an old fuel issue. Have her start using a different brand of fuel and also use a stabil type product (clearance @ Meijer's & Target at times) on the last fueling before the car sits. This is a lot less expensive to try before replacing coils. Did you change the fuel filter? Does she use apps on her phone? Gas buddy is a good tool if she is needing to find better prices on fuel while she's traveling.

We're not advocating blind replacement of coils. But 4.6 COP modules of that vintage often cause fish biting. So we're advising him on how to check the PCM's built in misfire counters. Certainly a little techron and a new (motorcraft) fuel filter wouldn't hurt a car of that age.

But I prefer active diagnostics.

For Kira, note that the '97 F150 of that vintage does not have the Coil on Plug Setup that is prone to this type of misfire. Not to say it isn't the problem, but just be aware its a different setup with 2 coil with spark plug wires.

Also agree not proposing a blind approach to replacing parts - just some low cost diagnosis... Figured out that I could diagnose and fix these issues months before it would finally set a code to pinpoint it...

Thanks for all the replies. I told her to drive the car, run the tank down as far as safely possible to use up all of the gas in the tank before buying any more gas, see if the Regane improves it any further. That will also give her the maximum benefit of the Regane. I can replace the fuel filter but I thought if the filter was bad it should have the problem all of the time, not just once or twice every 2 or 3 minutes. My scanner does read live data, but I am not sure if it will give me the $ info you have suggested here.

I will not see the car again until next Sunday when my wife and I go for a visit but will take my scanner with me then and see what other info I can find. I have read on here some Fords are a nightmare to replace plugs, is the 4.6 a bad one to do? I will do everything IO can to help her but if it gets really involved we may just pay the Ford dealer to fix it for her. It's a small town where she lives and hopefully they are honest and would not try to charge for a bunch of unnecessary repairs.

if it's the case of flying sparkers, no amount of techron and fuel switching is going to help. The good news is that it takes an annoying amount of days and miles until it's too late and finally meet the plug spitting Ford legend in person. I am not saying it's the case, but I'd rule this out.
At first it feels like an AT hesitation, and a lot of times it can be a COP or a plug.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Thanks for all the replies. I told her to drive the car, run the tank down as far as safely possible to use up all of the gas in the tank before buying any more gas, see if the Regane improves it any further. That will also give her the maximum benefit of the Regane. I can replace the fuel filter but I thought if the filter was bad it should have the problem all of the time, not just once or twice every 2 or 3 minutes. My scanner does read live data, but I am not sure if it will give me the $ info you have suggested here.

I will not see the car again until next Sunday when my wife and I go for a visit but will take my scanner with me then and see what other info I can find. I have read on here some Fords are a nightmare to replace plugs, is the 4.6 a bad one to do? I will do everything IO can to help her but if it gets really involved we may just pay the Ford dealer to fix it for her. It's a small town where she lives and hopefully they are honest and would not try to charge for a bunch of unnecessary repairs.

An 01 will have the 2-valve 4.6. No problem with plugs. If you do plugs on it get the motorcraft finewire plugs. They work best. They carry them at Advance auto and most other parts stores.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

An 01 will have the 2-valve 4.6. No problem with plugs. If you do plugs on it get the motorcraft finewire plugs. They work best. They carry them at Advance auto and most other parts stores.

The plug-popping in the 2V Modular (3-thread head) existed right up to and at least partially through 2002. IIRC, it was fixed for 2003 or 2004MY.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

The plug-popping in the 2V Modular (3-thread head) existed right up to and at least partially through 2002. IIRC, it was fixed for 2003 or 2004MY.

I believe it was only the 2 valve 5.4 that commonly had the problem during that time?

Happened to any of the 2V modular engines. In my mind, in order of frequency, it seemed that the 5.4, then 6.8, and last the 4.6 had the issue. My perception was that it was much less common on the 4.6 though...

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I believe it was only the 2 valve 5.4 that commonly had the problem during that time?

All three engines had the issue. The 4.6L, 5.4L and the 6.8L all had the three-thread heads. The 5.4L and 6.8L were more common for popping them, likely due to what they were fitted to (trucks seem more commonly affected than cars) but all of them were equally at risk for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back