For those with experience with GM 2.4

More specifically the 2.4 used in 2nd gen Equinox / Terrain (2010-2017). My parents purchased a 2017 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 about two years ago. It’s my mothers daily and she’s put nearly 30K miles on it. It’s currently at 77K miles and so far it’s been a pretty solid car from a mechanical standpoint. No significant oil burning and no odd noises.

I know these 2.4’s have a reputation, especially the 2010-2013 models. My understanding is that models built after 2013 have some engine upgrades that remedy most issues.

I’m really looking for others that may have some experience with a late model (say 2014-2017) 2.4 that has been able to achieve high mileage without the issues these engines are known for. Maybe a dealer tech or similar could shed some light.

Ever since they purchased the vehicle I’ve handled the oil changes. There was once or twice (max) that the dealer changed the oil as they had 2 free services from the selling dealer. I have stuck with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and OEM filters for the changes, which have averaged 4000 miles. Tomorrow I’ll be changing the oil and filter, but this time Castrol Edge 5w30 will be used (Pennzoil was out of stock, and Edge was on sale).

From what I read, many of the early 2.4s really start drinking oil around 50-70k, but so far hers has done well (though at 2017 model). Just curious if anyone has examples of later 2.4’s achieving higher miles without such issues. I’m sure they would like to keep it until 150K or so to get their moneys worth.

I know of the issues with the 2.4L in these Equinox & Terrains. I know several folks who have them(with over 100K miles) and I only one person who has had issues with the one they have. All of the other have not(2010-2017).

The one issue was with excessive oil burning and the engine was replaced under warranty. Otherwise, these engines seem to be motoring along just fine. Even though these engines have this reputation, not every one will experience problems, just like anything else that has a reputation for poor reliability.

The only experience I have with these are the several I have done timing chains because they burned oil + the owners never checked the oil = trouble. One customer did have the service campaign done for oil burning but after a year it was burning again. With that - I have also seen a couple good ones. So, if you have a good one and made it this far just keep doing what you been doing and enjoy it. Just watch the oil level!

I have an older 2.4..... A 2006. What changed over the years to make oil consumption a concern? Mine doesn't burn oil but only recently started to weep a little (tiny amount) from the valve cover gasket. Just got back a really nice UOA report from Blackstone, 258K miles.

Strictly anecdotal but my niece had a 2013 or 2014 that accumulated around 50k on it, my brother was concerned about oil consumption of 1 qt every 3-4k miles (which I didnt see as an issue) he always used Mobil 1 in it, I suggested he switch to Pennzoil platinum and it cut the consumption in half. I had the same results with our 2010 Wrangler 3.8
Take that for whatever its worth, random internet source.

I have an older 2.4..... A 2006. What changed over the years to make oil consumption a concern? Mine doesn't burn oil but only recently started to weep a little (tiny amount) from the valve cover gasket. Just got back a really nice UOA report from Blackstone, 258K miles.
I believe the ring design changed. The older 2.4's don't have this issue. The engines may be completely different for all I know.

Strictly anecdotal but my niece had a 2013 or 2014 that accumulated around 50k on it, my brother was concerned about oil consumption of 1 qt every 3-4k miles (which I didnt see as an issue) he always used Mobil 1 in it, I suggested he switch to Pennzoil platinum and it cut the consumption in half. I had the same results with our 2010 Wrangler 3.8
Take that for whatever its worth, random internet source.
That's certainly not the worst consumption I've read of. These early 2.4's are known to drink over 1 quart per 1,000 miles. If your niece's 2.4 always consumed that amount since new, I wouldn't be too concerned. But if it was a new development, it likely would have got worse.

I just did the oil change this morning on my mothers. I estimate it consumed no more than 1/4 quart over 3500 miles. Hardly an issue.

More specifically the 2.4 used in 2nd gen Equinox / Terrain (2010-2017). My parents purchased a 2017 GMC Terrain with the 2.4 about two years ago. ...

I have stuck with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and OEM filters for the changes, which have averaged 4000 miles. Tomorrow I’ll be changing the oil and filter, but this time Castrol Edge 5w30 will be used (Pennzoil was out of stock, and Edge was on sale).
Let me know how the edge works for you. It didnt work for me in the Ford. My Valvoline was out and I got Edge black bottle.
I wish I didn't. Mine was 5W20. I would even recommend you bring it back and get something else. - Ken

Let me know how the edge works for you. It didnt work for me in the Ford. My Valvoline was out and I got Edge black bottle.
I wish I didn't. Mine was 5W20. I would even recommend you bring it back and get something else. - Ken
I've used Edge before with no issues (years ago). It's a fine oil just like everything OTC these days that meet spec.

What "didn't work for you" about it? Was it NVH or something else? Upon starting the engine after the oil change it was nice and quiet. I don't expect any issues.

I've used Edge before with no issues (years ago). It's a fine oil just like everything OTC these days that meet spec.

What "didn't work for you" about it? Was it NVH or something else? Upon starting the engine after the oil change it was nice and quiet. I don't expect any issues.
Yes really bad NVH, but as I stated before, I am also recovering from a bad tank of fuel that may have messed up my engine.
I am so upset, this engine ran so smooth and powerfully before the bad tank. Odd that I got it from Irving, they are usually very consistent.But who knows if they got a night dump of "who knows what" from an unmarked tanker.

Ask the Spouse if the engine seems noisier. I don't know if she is like mine, where she doesn't concern her self with such things.
- Ken

Yes really bad NVH, but as I stated before, I am also recovering from a bad tank of fuel that may have messed up my engine.
I am so upset, this engine ran so smooth and powerfully before the bad tank. Odd that I got it from Irving, they are usually very consistent.But who knows if they got a night dump of "who knows what" from an unmarked tanker.

Ask the Spouse if the engine seems noisier. I don't know if she is like mine, where she doesn't concern her self with such things.
- Ken
It's my moms vehicle, I do the oil changes for her. She wouldn't notice a difference unless there was knocking or a similar noise. These 2.4's are known for being noisy engines, and so far the Castrol runs nice a quiet.

The 2.4 in my 2009 Vue has been fantastic. Burns about a quart every 2k. At 145k it runs smooth as silk and has had 0 work done on it other than very basic maintenance.

This guy has a 14 page build thread on his Terrain. I think he started experiencing oil consumption around 100,000 miles or so, and his remedy is shorter intervals using better oil (I believe). Not sure if he really fixed his issue, but it might have helped a bit.

This guy can be pretty stubborn using his “methods”. Think he started off using a 0W20 oil (part of his “methods”). And then later in the vehicles life bumped it up.

At around 110,000 miles he had the PCV orifice TSB done - and intake off/manual cleaning of the valves.

Last edited:
This guy has a 14 page build thread on his Terrain. I think he started experiencing oil consumption around 100,000 miles or so, and his remedy is shorter intervals using better oil (I believe). Not sure if he really fixed his issue, but it might have helped a bit.

This guy can be pretty stubborn using his “methods”. Think he started off using a 0W20 oil (part of his “methods”). And then later in the vehicles life bumped it up.

At around 110,000 miles he had the PCV orifice TSB done - and intake off/manual cleaning of the valves.
Using a non specified oil in an oil burner as a "method". Lol. I don't think I'm going to spend time reading about his methods but it sounds like he doesn't like to admit to any wrong choices?

Using a non specified oil in an oil burner as a "method". Lol. I don't think I'm going to spend time reading about his methods but it sounds like he doesn't like to admit to any wrong choices?
Well, let’s just say he’s one of the more peculiar guys I’ve seen on the internet. 🤣

But the guy sure loves maintenance, his vehicles, taking care of them and documenting. I appreciate that, but you also get everything else with it. But I don’t think you’ll discover a more document lifespan of a Terrain in the world. Haha.

Back