Equinox/terrain burning oil.. 2015 or later?

I wish I could break my in-laws' addiction to these cars. Sister-in-law's 2011 Equinox got all maintenance done at dealership, sounded like a thresher when she traded it in...on a 2013. Timing chain & all guides bit the dust on the 2013, barely got it covered under warranty after threats of litigation when they tried to cite "lack of maintenance" even though the dealership did all oil changes according to the OLM.

Sister-in-law bought a Mustang, and passed the 2013 Equinox to her husband. Just heard from them this week that he traded it in, because it was burning oil faster than he could pour it in. He bought ANOTHER ONE. And my nephew, their son, bought one as well.

I finally had to give up trying to tell them about the 2.4. This is typical die-hard GM loyalty, which I will never understand.

If some of you could chime back in... the mazda cx-5 might be a tiny bit small for us so we might try to hold out for a cx9..

How is the reliability on the v6 from mazda compared to the 2.5l which I'm reading is a great engine?

Originally Posted by sh40674
If some of you could chime back in... the mazda cx-5 might be a tiny bit small for us so we might try to hold out for a cx9..

How is the reliability on the v6 from mazda compared to the 2.5l which I'm reading is a great engine?

I believe in 2016 they went to using a turbo version of the 2.5l in the CX9 as the only engine choice. 2015 and previous had the Ford 3.7l and I believe the 3.5l in earlier models. I have read where the ford engines are ticking time bombs with water pump failures that flood the oil with coolant essentially destroying the engine without the slightest hint that it's happening until it's too late. I have not Seen it personally and I have seen high mileage 3.5 and 3.7l's as well, so take that bit of info with a grain of salt but realize that it is a reality that could possibly happen.
Like anything else, people post more about problems than they post about the positive things when it comes to cars and they're reliability. If possible, I would definitely go with a 2016 or newer CX9 and get the turbo 2.5l if it were me.

Isn't there a CX7 that's a nice compromise between the CX5 and CX9 ? Are you averse to a Subaru Forester? What about a Nissan Rogue?

sh40674. I have a 2014 Terrain and my daughter has a 2014 Equinox. No problems what so ever with engine and oil burning.
My brother has a 2015 Terrain. Again, no problems.

I wish I could break my in-laws' addiction to these cars. Sister-in-law's 2011 Equinox got all maintenance done at dealership, sounded like a thresher when she traded it in...on a 2013. Timing chain & all guides bit the dust on the 2013, barely got it covered under warranty after threats of litigation when they tried to cite "lack of maintenance" even though the dealership did all oil changes according to the OLM.

Sister-in-law bought a Mustang, and passed the 2013 Equinox to her husband. Just heard from them this week that he traded it in, because it was burning oil faster than he could pour it in. He bought ANOTHER ONE. And my nephew, their son, bought one as well.

I finally had to give up trying to tell them about the 2.4. This is typical die-hard GM loyalty, which I will never understand.
I had the GM loyalty. So did my wife. It started with my 1990 C1500. Drove it 20 years. It burnt oil, a quart every 1500 miles, but it was old. It had no issues. Just normal wear and tear fixes. After that I had a 2010 Silverado that just nickel and dimed me for dumb stuff. My wife grew up in Chevys. She bought a 2015 Captiva Sport. Good car with the 2.4L. I thought it was a solid car so when I didn't need a truck anymore I bought a used low mile 2015 equinox. Well, last year her car started burning oil at about 100K. By 115K it was drinking a quart ever 500 miles. So traded it away for a RAV4. My equinox is doing good with 78K now. I'm hoping it lasts, but probably not. Changing oil every 3K now with walmart's finest. Not over spending on oil for these garbage engines and no more chevys. Only Toyotas.

Wifes 2015 Terrain DENALI with the 3.6 didn't use a drop of oil between oil changes, go with the 3.6 if you can. ;)

I hope the OP bought a car by now, another ancient thread resurrected!

I had a 2011 Terrain with the 3.0, no issues with oil burning or anything else. It was a solid vehicle.

Back