2.4 Ecotec stalls without additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has a 14 Gmc Terrain 2.4. We bought it 2 years ago for $7k with 40 ish k miles. I don't like the 2.4 reputation, but was cheap and awd with nice package, so is good winter suv. From first week, the Terrain would stall pretty much every start, even after long drives. Start vehicle, wait 15 seconds, rpms move around and stalls, same if ac on or off. I replaced the vvt solenoids, throttle body, intake sensor, plugs, air filter, ran good pea fuel cleaner, only use full synthetic oil etc, nothing helped. After a year I seen guy on YouTube with same issue, he added a little bardahl no smoke and stall stopped. A year ago I added the bardahl no smoke, 6oz, stall stopped, for year no stalls. Then last week changed the oil, instantly started stalling every start, I added 6 Oz of the no smoke, no stalling again. I can't figure out in my mind why this works? Otherwise the Terrain runs perfect, average 22mpg also. Any ideas? I don't have any oil in pcv like some have had issues with the older 13 and under 2.4s, zero tick or odd noises at start, runs great, no cel light or old codes, never seen smoke at start, I am stumped.

Is serious, it sounds stupid, but just adding the oil thickener stops the stall. YouTuber who had same issue is why I tried bardahl no smoke. Why would you not think it's serious, that's why I am posting. I'm in my 50s and had many cars, work on them myself, but this is confusing me. YouTube guy that said to use it is PriorToImpact He has full video about it.

Last edited:
These engines are known for intake/exhaust cam position actuator solenoids. There should be a error code associated with this.
If (IF) this is the case, they're super easy to change. I would't this that it is both at the same time but it could be.

Have you tried going up a grade or 2 on the oil? if it's the thickener that would work even better as you don't get a diluted oil mix.

If that works, you're looking at 2 possible scenarios: the extra drag from the thicker oil has the engine working a bit harder and it's now able to keep the air/fuel mixture right. It would be a sensor issue most likely.

But the second scenario is as Charbaby said, a VVT issue. Thicker oil slows the VVT reaction times a little bit (slower to adjust in either direction, and less likely to overshoot) and this could help the soilenoids to keep the timing in check.

I replaced with new parts, both vvt solenoids, new oem throttle body, intake maf sensor, spark plugs, checked pcv lines, air filter, trying to remember rest, was 2 years ago. The Terrain only has around 65k miles. So since vvts were replaced, what sensor could be possibly causing it. I have cam positioning sensors I bought also, have not installed them yet. Also I replaced rear 02 sensor. I appreciate the replies, the guy in YouTube went through replacing even more parts and taking entire intake off and cleaning it, only thing that worked was the oil thickener. If I reset the computer it will act a little better for a few days and stall less, then returns every time. I even made a post on the equinox and terrain forums and nobody could come up with a solution. Summer or freezing out makes the issue no different.

Last edited:
The stall also happens if sitting overnight or just stopping at store even after 100 mile drive and only when first starting, start, wait 15 seconds, erratic idle, stall. Start up and doesn't stall again until next stop. Adding the no smoke, 11 months and zero stalls. I haven't tried changing grade of oil.

Last edited:
Cost wasn't bad for parts, under $300. Have old backup parts for down the road. There are no codes and never has had any, I did obd2 scan and everything appeared good, even monitored running. Going to check all vaccum lines and I already have the cam positioning sensors. To diagnose will have to drain oil since I just changed it last week and already added the bardahl. Other guy with same exact issue never found out why. The Terrain is mostly winter driver for ice/snow, is just odd issue that I never heard of, so trying to figure it out. Eventually will take it in, but was trying to do this myself. I've replaced engines in past, installed all the engine mods on my ls3 camaro and hemi Ram and all previous vehicles.

This sounds a lot like an issue VW MK7.5 GTIs were having. Apparently related to the 0W20 oil and running 5W40 would sort it out. Something oil-salted. If the oil thickener additive works.....why not...it's a cheap solution. Could also try going up a grade in your regular oil.

Guy is having an issue and some smart-@ss replies. Why?

I have not done compression check.
It would be interesting to know what the compression is. Perhaps the oil thickener is leaving a film that is helping increase the compression slightly, and that is keeping it running instead of stalling on startup, until oil pressure builds up. You can get a compression tester for cheap on Amazon. They're handy to have.

Instead of just throwing parts at the problem, which clearly hasn't worked and must have already been expensive, I'd take it to someone who can properly diagnose the problem.
I’m pretty sure this is what this poster has done in the past.

More unusual and unsolvable problems will slowly surface as the thread progresses.

I replaced with new parts, both vvt solenoids, new oem throttle body, intake maf sensor, spark plugs, checked pcv lines, air filter, trying to remember rest, was 2 years ago. The Terrain only has around 65k miles. So since vvts were replaced, what sensor could be possibly causing it. I have cam positioning sensors I bought also, have not installed them yet. Also I replaced rear 02 sensor. I appreciate the replies, the guy in YouTube went through replacing even more parts and taking entire intake off and cleaning it, only thing that worked was the oil thickener. If I reset the computer it will act a little better for a few days and stall less, then returns every time. I even made a post on the equinox and terrain forums and nobody could come up with a solution. Summer or freezing out makes the issue no different.

That’s a very poor vehicle to have all that done at such a young age and still die on you.

I’m pretty sure this is what this poster has done in the past.

More unusual and unsolvable problems will slowly surface as the thread progresses.
Have no idea what your so negative for. I rarely ever post anything online, not sure where this unusual and unsolvable statement comes from. Why even post if going to be crap talking. I tried other forums that are this vehicle related, others have had same issue and never were able to get a reason even after taking it on to shop which also threw parts at problem for 10x the cost, so I thought why not try here. Guess this is wrong place to ask. Only issue <-- stalls unless oil thickener, no other issues.

Have no idea what your so negative for. I rarely ever post anything online, not sure where this unusual and unsolvable statement comes from. Why even post if going to be crap talking. I tried other forums that are this vehicle related, others have had same issue and never were able to get a reason even after taking it on to shop which also threw parts at problem for 10x the cost, so I thought why not try here. Guess this is wrong place to ask. Only issue
Right okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back