For those who run summer dino/winter syn OCI's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested to know which dino brand do you use in your summer dino/winter syn OCI plan? I know that we can debate the savings using syn with a long OCI, but for those with cars that are still under warranty will typically follow a 4-5k mi OCI. Also given the economy, cash paid at the check out counter plays a roll with which oil is purchased. What is your summer dino choice??

Thanks.

It really depends on the car. Seeing how both of ours have very accurate oil life monitoring systems, they get syn year-round to take advantage of the long drain intervals, up to 9-10k miles, available by following the OLM. Also, neither car lists a specific mileage to change oil at. The owner's manuals say to follow the OLM.

If I chose, I'd choose something like Peak dino that's often free/cheap after rebate. $10 for a 5-quart jug is about the cheapest one can do these days before rebate.

I do the spring dino and fall synth change plan, and last summer I got a few 4.4L jugs of PYB 10W30 on sale, or if I'm going to be beating on the Neon I'll use Rotella T 15W40 in it.

I have ran synthetic 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30 in the winter. I started mixing my own 50/50 synthetic blend for summer use, because I was getting conventional oil at a good price and there wasn't many synthetic oil rebates around to get it for under $1/qt. My UOA was better with the 50/50 blend than straight group 3 synthetic. I mix with either Mobil 5000 or Pennzoil YB.

Hmm, I think I will convert to doing this. I planned on putting in RP in the next couple months, but I should get started on this huge stash of gallon PYB, GTX, VWB jugs in varying weights.

Goes it really matter what brand it is? It's all personal preference. You can choose the cheapest dino available or use a good quality one like PYB.

Why can from summer to winter? That's what we did in the 60s. Use the recommended wt of oil your engine calls for year round.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Debating on just staying with synthetic all year round now ...

I would. It seems senseless to switch like that.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Why can from summer to winter? That's what we did in the 60s. Use the recommended wt of oil your engine calls for year round.

+1

The reasoning is if one were to do two changes a year, it would be best to run syn in winter for cold starting and save some money on dino for summer when there is no cold start benefit.

Originally Posted By: cutter
The reasoning is if one were to do two changes a year, it would be best to run syn in winter for cold starting and save some money on dino for summer when there is no cold start benefit.

Exactly why I've been doing it in some of my vehicles. I have a huge stash to use up. Once all of the Dino is gone, I might just go synthetic year round...

Originally Posted By: Alex38

Exactly why I've been doing it in some of my vehicles. I have a huge stash to use up. Once all of the Dino is gone, I might just go synthetic year round...

Until you acquire even more dino oil from various deals.
thumbsup2.gif

Exactly my problem!! Recently picked up 2 cases of 5w20 QSGB that will have to be run in my truck. Darn. Deal was too good to pass up.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
I am interested to know which dino brand do you use in your summer dino/winter syn OCI plan?

That's a loaded question.
wink.gif
As others have pointed out, it depends upon the application. Something like my G, still under warranty and requiring SM/GF-4 or better 5w-30, it's pretty easy. I use PYB all year. I could use any SN/GF-5 conventional or synthetic and rest easy.

The old Audi had different oil recommendations, as does my old F-150. For the Audi, I tended to run Mobil Delvac 15w-40 in the summer, and either a conventional 10w-30 or 5w-30 in the winter, or a synthetic 0w-40 or 5w-40 in winter (or all year).

The old truck spends all its time outside, so I could, theoretically, go to a 0w-30 HDEO in the winter, and a 10w-30 HDEO in the summer (if I wanted to save cash), or stick with the 0w-30 all year. To save cash, I could also use up my 15w-40 stash for summer usage.

For the G, I don't worry as much. It recommends the same thing regardless of weather, and I don't consider higher ZDDP levels like I might want to do with the old truck. If I decide ZDDP isn't an issue, I'd run 5w-30 PCMO in both all year round.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Pro, check out my comments HERE

Thanks, I'll check out AAP this weekend. I have PYB, QSGB and MS5k in my stash to choose from, maybe I'll pickup VWB for my stock V6 engines with ~60k on each.

Thanks for the responses. My stash is all dino [5W-30] and this year I started running syn for the winter months OCI [Dec-Apr] in the northeast. This year I ran M1, but I'd use any of the OTC syns without a problem. I'll take advantage of Thanksgiving Day sales to get the winter syn.

I'm going to be doing this in the coming winter. So far, I've just run dino 5W-20/5W-30 in the Tribute, but I didn't like how it started last winter, and it doesn't have a block heater, so I will be moving to a 0W-20 for this winter.

Originally Posted By: Alex38

Lets see.....how many $$$$ do you actually save by doing that ??? Maybe a few dollars per year, per vehicle. IMO...just stick with SYN year round.

Late December (ahead of the coldest months) is when I put synthetic in....that I bought on sale. So late December to April with syn....then do two OCI between April and December with dino.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back