For Those Who Don't Change Their Own Oil.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in a small So Cal high desert town. We have only 1 quick lube place and it's a "mom & pop" shop that's highly thought of in the community.

Today I was there turning in my used oil. And while talking to the owner, an engine fires up in one of the 2 bays.

The owner SCREAMS "Shut it off, shut it off, what the ---- are you doing"?

The "tech" looks at him and says, "You told me to get the mileage".

The ownwer says, "You don't have to start the engine to get the mileage".

The "tech" than says, "Oh, you don't?"

Then the owner says, "Here, let me show you". And he says goodbye to me, then he "teaches" the "tech" how to get the mileage without turning on the engine.

Now, was any damage done to the engine during the 7 seconds it ran with no oil or filter? Who knows.

But, what I do know is that will never happen to a vehicle that I own............ EVER.

These same "techs" that don't even know how to get the mileage on a car without starting it, are the same "techs" that are responsible for your oil and filter change....Pretty scary.
frown.gif

Darryl
cheers.gif

I think the reality today is to be competitive, a fast lube shop has to pay about the same wage rate as a fast food restaurant and gets about the same level of competence.

I think it's stupid how most car manufacturers make you turn on the ignition to get the mileage. My brother-in-law has a new Dodge truck that always shows the mileage, even when the keys out of the ignition. I wish my Jeep did this.

I think the only times I used Quickie Lubes was the time period from 9/98 to 6/99. That was when they lost the lock washer on my drain plug, and after that, it was Never Again.

But those particlular outfits had very small buildings, and the customers waited in an area only 10 feet away from the cars, so the customers could see everything that was going on. 'Cept of course, if the monkeys in Jumpsuits lost a washer, which was too small to notice from 10 feet.

But to be fair, the chances of a screw-up on your precious ride are not all that much different between Quickie Lubes, real Auto Service Workshops, and Authorized Dealers. Over the past 20 years, I have had some of the best jobs done by Owner-operated Auto Service Workshops(in NY City, Flushing, Queens).......but I have also had the worst jobs done by them(Galveston, Texas). The latter case, in Galveston, the Mexican mechanic hired by the Owner tightened my drain plug so darn tight, when the next oil change rolled around, we had to slip a 3-foot long, thick-wall steel pipe over the ratchet driver handle just to be able to loosen the drain plug enough to try to get it out. It was a miracle the Mexican guy did not strip my threads. Suzuki must make the best sumps, man!!!!!!!!!

When it comes to oil changes, 99% of the time the adage holds true: "If ya want it done right, ya gotta do it ya' self."

Why would the mileage need to be recorded in the middle of an oil change? And isn't the car up in the air during the drain?

Probably no damage...there's no load and the period was too short. Many seem to think that the inside of the engine is dry because the oil is sitting in the pan (in this case it wasn't).

On my car, and I expect on most GM's, you can just push the trip odometer mode/reset button briefly to show the odometer while the engine is off. Even so, on the few occasions the car has been back to the dealer, they've turned the key to Run or started the car to get the reading.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
On my car, and I expect on most GM's, you can just push the trip odometer mode/reset button briefly to show the odometer while the engine is off. Even so, on the few occasions the car has been back to the dealer, they've turned the key to Run or started the car to get the reading.
dunno.gif

I have never seen a car that does not display odometer mileage when the trip button is pressed. I think it's pretty much industry standard UI.

Don't most oil change places and/or dealer take note of the mileage before and after you enter the shop. They don't take the mileage when your car is in the bay. Most cars the digital odometer is usually always on the display. Or just turn the key to the on position and not turn on engine.

I don't think these quick lube shops are putting enough resources ($$) into quality control of their employees, as compared to say a fast food joint.

Isn't it funny that we get such low quality from two of our precious things...our bodies and our cars.

We get it from those establishments because a large part of the population frequents such places.

They wouldn't be in business if the demand and presumably profit were not there.

TB

quote:

Originally posted by kbohip:
I think it's stupid how most car manufacturers make you turn on the ignition to get the mileage. My brother-in-law has a new Dodge truck that always shows the mileage, even when the keys out of the ignition. I wish my Jeep did this.

My 98 Corvette has a digital odometer but I found a trick on how to get it's reading without the keys in the ignition. Simply turn the parking lights on and the odometer reading shows up in the display. I bet a lot of cars will display the mileage like this.

Hey, I've got a good idea.

Let's you and I open a "Quality Lube" shop. We will hire only certified auto mechanics, have two quality assurance technicians on site, and sell only premium dino and boutique synthetic oils.

We could sit out front and wait for the public to come in for their $100 "quality" oil change.

How about it, want to invest your dollars?

Ah, the American way: "Since I don't charge alot, I can do crap work"
dunno.gif

I don't care what the price is, or what the service is, I expect and demand quality. Not just from those I deal with, but myself as well.

Darryl
cheers.gif

Reminds me of the time i had a tire replaced at the local Wal-Mart

I was watching the tech trying to pry off my hubcaps that were held on by screw on plastic lugnuts over the real ones. I looked over at the tle manager and told him what was going on. He ran out the door and let the guy know why they wernt coming off. I wasnt watching at the time he was mounting the new tire on the rim but once i hit 70 on the highway i knew he forgot to balance it.

Not that it worries me though, I still get my 10% discount and i only go when i know the experianced guys are going to be there, If anything was to happen to my car i'm sure Wal-Mart would cover it.

I get my oil changed at Wally World too. For $28 I can get an M1 oil change with ST filter ... almost as cheap as buying the oil and filter and doing it yourself. And being an apartment dweller oil changes can be a drag.

I posted a few weeks ago about Wal-Mart stealing my wife's magnetic drain plug and replacing it with a cheapo stripped-out used version...the manager told me to get lost when I brought the car back. Came back the next day with B.A.R. complaint form, and he had one of the techs scuttle off to Kragen/Checker/Schuck's to buy me a new one and topped off with Delvac. Stupid. They used the Fram instead of the ST filter also, despite what the invoice said, and the mngr told me they can use whatever they want and not list it on the invoice (not legal, even according to the legal statements on the back).

Anyway, my brother manages an EZ Lube in Southern California. For those not familiar with them they only use Mobil oil and filters (regular and M1 and Delvac 1) and Purolator and K&N air filters. They charge a little more, but do better work and use good products. My brother only hires the best, and has no hesitation to send a tech packing for whatever reason. He also tries to pay them more to give them an incentive for quality work, and even though the EZLube corporate doesn't like that, his shops make more money on good customer return visits than any other shop in the area. They allow up to 10K miles on M1 changes if the customer would like, and they only charge for parts (filter) if a customer wanted to chage the filter only during the middle of his OCI....even M1 is free to top off at any time.

And he even lets me do changes there with GC and M1 filters, although he cringes when I say I'm at 6100 miles on GC right now, probably just from being used to telling customers to come back in 3 months.

-JamesW
94 Suzuki Swift GT DOHC

quote:

Originally posted by Solo2driver:
I posted a few weeks ago about Wal-Mart stealing my wife's magnetic drain plug and replacing it with a cheapo stripped-out used version...

I'm sure they stole it and put the used plug on their personal cars.
rolleyes.gif
They couldn't have replaced it because it was leaking or stripped.
blush.gif

Wal-mart has magnetic replacement plugs and they are more correct then every parts store one I've seen.

-T

"It's hard to get good help these days" should be changed to "it's hard to get good help these days for slave wages."
smile.gif
You press one of the buttons on the gauges cluster to get the odo to show up on the newer Audi's. And why didn't the tech just wait till he was done with change to check the mileage???? The car wasn't going anywhere. Who's teaching these kids logical thinking skills nowadays????

Solo2driver - He also tries to pay them more to give them an incentive for quality work, and even though the EZLube corporate doesn't like that, his shops make more money on good customer return visits than any other shop in the area.

Interesting, just how would he know the profitability of the other shops in the area?

quote:

Originally posted by Ugly3:
Solo2driver - He also tries to pay them more to give them an incentive for quality work, and even though the EZLube corporate doesn't like that, his shops make more money on good customer return visits than any other shop in the area.

Interesting, just how would he know the profitability of the other shops in the area?

Maybe they are talking about the EZ-Lube shops? If EZ-Lube is a local chain, there may be such data available.

TB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back