For the first time in smoke detector history...

My aunt was a winter caretaker on this summer resort island. Half her job was letting herself into properties to handle beeping smoke detectors. She'd go on patrol walks and try to pin down which house was faintly beeping. :oops:

As someone who works in the fire industry/service - smoke detectors save lives. I talk to people regularly who likely wouldn’t be alive if they weren’t woken by a smoke detector.

They are worth their weight in gold. Check/test regularly and replace every 10 years.

If people only knew how quickly a typical residential home fire can quickly spread to total fire involvement to the structure they would probably be shocked. You have one or two minutes to get out.

There are reasons why today’s codes require hardwire power and signal wire to the smoke detectors so if one goes off into alarm they all alarm.

Looks more like 12 ft from the pic :unsure:;)

Yes always at night. Modern ones actually will tell you end of life with the low battery beep.. even when battery isnt low.
I have 5 and they are all hardwired with backup AA now.
ones I just replaced were 9volt/hardwired.

FIRE FIRE FIRE DANGER CAR BON MON OXIDE detected.. Of course loud siren too.

I replaced all of mine with the sealed versions and don't have to worry about 3:00am beeping any more. They'll be code soon, so you may as well too.

I wasn't sure about that. I wonder if they sell any SD's without backups....not necessary. imo

They did, up until about 25 years ago. Then the fire code changed to require a battery backup for AC powered smoke detectors, and they stopped making AC powered ones without a battery backup (or if they still make them, you aren't getting them at Home Depot or Lowes--I doubt they still make them though).

Any run of the mill smoke detector designer can design one that only goes off with a battery problem during the day and when all the stores are open. But how sharp must the designer have be to have it go off in the middle of the night when it knows sleep is most important to you or better yet wife.

Any run of the mill smoke detector designer can design one that only goes off with a battery problem during the day and when all the stores are open. But how sharp must the designer have be to have it go off in the middle of the night when it knows sleep is most important to you or better yet wife.
We went over this earlier. It's colder at night. Colder batteries develop less energy. Once it drops below a certain voltage, it starts to beep. Voltage drops at night so it beeps at night. You'd have to design one with a clock so it'd know to go off during the day instead of night but then it'd have to have an accurate clock. Probably wifi enabled ones could do it like the Nest but then those are $100+ not your basic $20 smoke alarm.
I would just remove the battery since it's hardwired.
Yeah, they beep when the battery is dead/not installed. It's harder to close them too without the battery, there's some lever that the battery moves so you can actually close the door. They do have 5-10 year warranties and I sometimes look at the date and if they have some problem, I send them back and the manufacturer actually sends you a new one. Just use first class postage and it's not that much.
My aunt was a winter caretaker on this summer resort island. Half her job was letting herself into properties to handle beeping smoke detectors. She'd go on patrol walks and try to pin down which house was faintly beeping. :oops:
She should have just gotten a battery meter and started replacing them in advance when the battery voltage got low. I think when they started beeping, they're somewhere between 7.5-8 volts. I don't know how tenants put up with the beeping. I've stopped by and they will tell me it's been beeping for weeks.

Back