For short trips + 5k OCI's, What to look for in a filter?

If you want to argue that removing that extra 4% of 20um particles is meaningless in the real world of engine life I wouldn't disagree with that too much either.

I suppose you could argue since your changing the oil so often anyway, that your removing all particles from the oil regularly anyway - so 99%@20um isn't needed. Perhaps this is what your saying?
Yes, the longer the OCI the better it is to use a higher efficiency oil filter. If you changed the oil very 1000 miles on a broken in engine, you probably wouldn't need much more than a fine screen as an oil filter.

To some degree you are correct. However, there is a loading factor where the efficiency actually starts to drop back off. I believe Zee has the specific graph on that.
It was also shown in Andrew's oil filter testing, later in this thread beyond where this link jumps in.

For my LS3, I use the gold filters from GM. If I knew more about filters, I may try to upgrade, but since they’re so dependent on flow rates, I leave well enough alone. 🤷‍♂️
Postitive displacement oil pump means that the oil flow rate to the engine really doesn't get impacted by an oil filter to matter unless the filter is super clogged up and putting the pump into pressure relief. Good routine maintanence will ensure an oil filter doesn't get that clogged up.

Pretty good thread here - good value IMO

Fram Extra Gaurd. It's 95% at 20um, has glass enhanced cellulose, (may) have silicone ADBV, and way more holding capacity than you'd need.
Or, the ST equivilant would work well also.

Those 1GR engines don't need anything special to last hundreds of thousands of miles.

There is zero reason to use a super-duper filter for 5k mile OCIs.
I second ZeeOSix on the Fram Extra Guard. Its a 10,000 mile filter, silicone anti-drainback valve with a steel center tube. They are $4.17 where I live . . . excellent construction and performance for the dollar.

Back