For guys re-using old oil filters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you take the time to dump the old oil out the filter and let it drain before re-installing? I never thought to reuse a sny filter or any filter for that matter, but after seeing the last post that went through 3 oci's, I'm re-thinking my point on that subject. I've used the Fram sny filter, but replaced after the 7500 oci using syn oil. I'm now running dino due to my stash, so I planned on doing 6k oci's (85% city driving to work) while using the P1 Gold. I changed oil back in June and I'm only at 1700 miles now.

I've always wondered if it would affect the gasket on the filter taking it off and then re-installing? Either way, our cars filters only hold maybe 1/4qt, so not too worried about it.

For my Honda, I leave the filter there for two whole intervals (13-15k miles.) I'd have to mess with the ADBV to get all of the oil out of the filter itself; getting the oil out of the galleries isn't worth the mess and effort, IMO. I add four quarts of oil every single interval, and the difference on the dipstick is:

Filter Change: Oil reads 4/5 of the way up the hashed part of the dipstick, between ADD and FULL

No Filter Change: Oil reads right at the FULL mark on the dipstick.

One added benefit during the second OFI, is that small amount of old oil tints the new oil so that I can actually read the crummy Honda dipstick the first time after changing the oil!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: solorexpy
A decent filter is $4-5. Is it really worth not replacing it?

Yes if the filter is holding up the efficiency increases as it gets miles on it.

You probably shouldn't go doing it with cellulose filters without cutting them open to verify integrity.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Yes if the filter is holding up the efficiency increases as it gets miles on it.

You probably shouldn't go doing it with cellulose filters without cutting them open to verify integrity.

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Quality oil filter $5 bucks New motor $3500

I am using the filter for a second OCI on the G6. I spun it off to drain the oil out, not so much from the filter (which holds most of the oil that is in it anyway) as what it holds inside the engine. Still not a lot of oil but IMO GM V6s have a small enough sump and I wanted to get as much of the old oil out as possible. That said it is an M1 filter so I have to assume the gasket can withstand a longer OCI and still remain pliable (which it was) and able to seal. I may not be as comfortable with a standard or lower end filter. If the gasket had hardened as I've noticed some have when I took the filter off, I would be more reluctant to re-install it.

Couple months and a couple thousand kilometers now and no issues.

Thanks for all the replies. It's good to hear what you guys do as I was interested. I figured that most left it on as it made more sense. My old car had a "oil catch" so as you are unscrewing, it catches the oil and it drains to the bottom of the car. Best design I've ever seen. My current car...you better have a rag under it or oil will spill everywhere. As stated, I always change filters, but after actually reading about filter capacity with syn filters, I may do that next time. I have 12 wix filters so they will need to be used first.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
If you are going to break the seal, replace it. The gaskets are not really intended to be multi-use.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, aren't o-rings made of or similar to the rubber used to make an oil filter mounting gasket? In the auto industry, and other industries as well, o-rings are installed on a lot of products and are re-used quite often. If someone choose's to use an oil filter for a multiple OCI, can't the same theory be applied to its gasket as to an o-ring?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: T_CUDA

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Quality oil filter $5 bucks New motor $3500

Those are the only two options, huh???

If you are going to break the seal, replace it. The gaskets are not really intended to be multi-use.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, aren't o-rings made of or similar to the rubber used to make an oil filter mounting gasket? In the auto industry, and other industries as well, o-rings are installed on a lot of products and are re-used quite often. If someone choose's to use an oil filter for a multiple OCI, can't the same theory be applied to its gasket as to an o-ring?
21.gif

Next time you remove an oil filter, look at the flat gasket and you'll see just how flat and compressed it is after use. Compare it to a new filter to see the big difference. Once the gasket is compressed for good, it may not want to seal as well.

Now if an oil filter actually has an "O-ring" gasket, then that might be a different story.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

21.gif

Next time you remove an oil filter, look at the flat gasket and you'll see just how flat and compressed it is after use. Compare it to a new filter to see the big difference. Once the gasket is compressed for good, it may not want to seal as well.

Now if an oil filter actually has an "O-ring" gasket, then that might be a different story.

I have compared used filter gaskets to new filter gaskets. But, it is my belief, if that gasket is still protruding from the filter it can still be used. Of course I would never do it due to only using a filter once, but not for that reason.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

21.gif

In the 1st and 2nd pics is a used P1 PL20195 I just recently removed from my engine. Note how much the gasket is still protruding above the filter can, thus, making it ok to re-use, IMO. I would never re-use any used oil filter, but not for that reason.
In the 3rd and 4th pics is a new FRAM XG 43 filter. Note the gasket is similar to the used P1's gasket, protruding above the filter can.

g8na.jpg

u8f8.jpg

rex0.jpg

30ji.jpg

ZO6 and others are correct, best practice if one is running an oil filter two ocis, is to just leave it untouched. As mentioned biggest concern is the compression/deformation of the sealing gasket.

That said, when I ran my BD+ 3323 twice I did remove it, and drained it. The filter is oriented in a vertical thread end up orientation and a decent amount of oil drains as the filter is removed. No excuse though, just minor ocd. lol. But I did not try to drain oil from the inlet side before reinstalling.

So not recommending what I did, just sharing.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
ZO6 and others are correct, best practice if one is running an oil filter two ocis, is to just leave it untouched. As mentioned biggest concern is the compression/deformation of the sealing gasket.

That said, when I ran my BD+ 3323 twice I did remove it, and drained it. The filter is oriented in a vertical thread end up orientation and a decent amount of oil drains as the filter is removed. No excuse though, just minor ocd. lol. But I did not try to drain oil from the inlet side before reinstalling.

So not recommending what I did, just sharing.

How ironic is this
I am against using an oil filter for multiple OCIs, yet, I am proving, in the pics I provided, that it is ok to re-use an oil filter that has been removed from an engine, to use it for another OCI due to the gasket not being compressed.
wry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back