For comparing Cartridge Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's car is a 2007 Hyundai Sonata V6 that uses cartridge filters.

I can get the Fram and the Purolator for about the same price. Now I'm starting to hear that the Frams are actually pretty good in cartridge form because they are outsourced.

Do you guys have any resources for comparing cartridge filters? I've done a ton of research for the canisters but I can't find anything for the cartridges! Thanks for the help again guys
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
Do you guys have any resources for comparing cartridge filters?

I dunno about the specific Hyundai drop-in cartridge, but some of us have posted pics and testimonials of other cartrige part numbers such as the one for the Chevy Ecotec 4cyl. Out of the 4 or 5 brand name Ecotec cartriges I used, I never found one that I would consider poorly made. I think you'll find that across the board w/ this style filter. They're all good.

Joel

In my 07 Fusion I am using the Pure 1 cartrage filter. The MC looked very cheesy, but the Fram does appear to be excelant. The Pure 1 also looks great and with the pure 1 reputation I am using it until M1s price comes down from it's lofty price of nearly $20,00.

I have an 09 fusion and had a 06 fusion and I HATED the fram ones with a passion! They always twisted or crushed when installed. I have used the motorcraft and NAPA gold (wix) and they have never done that once. I prefer the wix then the motorcraft, I would rather extend my OCI than use another fram. Even though tig1 sees the motorcraft as a "cheesey" product they are still a much better product than the fram by a long shot.

edit
I also use either the motorcraft or wix on mom's 09 escape with the 2.5L.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tuckman
I have an 09 fusion and had a 06 fusion and I HATED the fram ones with a passion! They always twisted or crushed when installed. I have used the motorcraft and NAPA gold (wix) and they have never done that once. I prefer the wix then the motorcraft, I would rather extend my OCI than use another fram. Even though tig1 sees the motorcraft as a "cheesey" product they are still a much better product than the fram by a long shot.

edit
I also use either the motorcraft or wix on mom's 09 escape with the 2.5L.

I was going by the outward appearance of the filters. So the Fram, even though it looks great on the outside it crumpled on instalation? I wonder if it is too long?

Over the years I have used a number of different brands in my Ecotec. The Purolators did crush slightly, but at least they should seal.

If I could identify one made in America by an American company, I would buy it unless it was too expensive.

I've used Mann, Mahle, and STP. No to the STP, while both Mann & Mahle held up fine in BMW, 6 month OCI's, no crushing or breaking apart. Not sure if they are available for your app however.

I've found with Fram, that they put an effort into building anything you can visually see(cartridge, air filters, etc), and go cheap on filters you can't see(canister & fuel filter). The stuff coming out of their US plants doesn't seem to have near the quality control as the stuff from their Bulguarian, Chinese or Indian plants, that I find depresing.

I have been using SuperTech filters in my Ecotec. The last one went over 5k miles and was in the car for a little over a year. It looked great--no twisting, crushing, whatever. I had a PurOne that showed deterioration of the filter media on the edges after a 5k OCI. I'm not going back to Purolators after seeing that. I've had a Fram hold up ok, but there was a little bit of twisting. I'm not running Motorcraft on my Jeep, Supertech in the Solstice, and AC or SuperTech in the van.

Compare a Fram to the Puolator next to each other and see if you can see the difference in the construction of the filter. The Fram filter media seemed very weak compared to any other cartridge I put it up next to.

Originally Posted By: labman
Over the years I have used a number of different brands in my Ecotec. The Purolators did crush slightly, but at least they should seal.

If I could identify one made in America by an American company, I would buy it unless it was too expensive.

Recently I found one.

My local Pep Boys store was selling ProLine ectoec filters and they were made in the USA. I was stunned.

I bought a few for future oil changes in my car and dad's car.

Sorry, Pro Line is just one more Botch offering. Perhaps more of your money goes out of the country than for a Chinese made one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back