Foolish to use M1HM at 280,000 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

For the last 4 years I've had 2000 Ford Focus with the 2.0L zetec I've used as a commuter car and a drive to the cabin on the weekend car so I don't have to drive my suburban. Car sees 600-700 miles a week and is parked all winter. Lately I've noticed an oil smell after driving, and can smell oil at times in the cabin. Nothing I can see ever hits the ground. In you view, I'm I likely to make it worse or better with a M1 High mileage? I typicaly change at 6000 miles with a quality blend like Trop Artic, and I'd like to run the M1 high mileage out to 8-10K oci. The car has more than paid me back for the $1000 I have into it. (I've put about 70K on it!) But hey, It runs awesome and I want to take it as far as I can.

Last edited:
I don't see anything to lose using a HM oil however I'd probably avoid a full synthetic and go with VML, PHM or even STHM.

PS: Those Ford 4 cylinder engines seem to run forever with just a little care.

Not foolish at all; I'm actually running it in a '01 Saturn that sounds much like your Focus. Don't worry about the switch to synthetic, either. It's an excellent oil available for a really good price (@Walmart).

Oil isn't a cure-all, though. Check your PCV system, notably the hose between air filter and back of valve cover.

I'm not losing virtually any oil. In a 7000 mile OCI I might have to add 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart to keep it topped off. And I don't see any on the driveway. it's just a smell like a drop of oil on exhaust. I've also just recently started driving it again as the weather in Minnesota good. I don't drive it at all in winter so I'm wondering if the seals dried out a little over the last 4 months. I seem to remember this happening last year and it got better as I drove it. Was thinking that a little seal conditioner might be in order, and I've always liked M1 HM, but for some reason in this car I wondering if I should leave well enough alone.

Originally Posted By: GOPHER FREAK
I'm not losing virtually any oil. In a 7000 mile OCI I might have to add 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart to keep it topped off. And I don't see any on the driveway. it's just a smell like a drop of oil on exhaust. I've also just recently started driving it again as the weather in Minnesota good. I don't drive it at all in winter so I'm wondering if the seals dried out a little over the last 4 months. I seem to remember this happening last year and it got better as I drove it. Was thinking that a little seal conditioner might be in order, and I've always liked M1 HM, but for some reason in this car I wondering if I should leave well enough alone.

What negative things do you think might happen?

I don't think there would be a problem, however, you may find Valvoline MaxLife to be a less costly option without a loss in protection.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I don't think there would be a problem, however, you may find Valvoline MaxLife to be a less costly option without a loss in protection.
+1 me agree

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: GOPHER FREAK

What negative things do you think might happen?

My main concern would be an oil seepage would turn into a nasty leak. I've never introduced synthetic oil to an engine with this mileage. I'm not super worried about it as the motor is clean inside other than a little varnish. You seem to run vehicles like I do (high mileage) so maybe you can reassure me a little?

Originally Posted By: Danno
You might be able to see if the valve cover gasket is leaking a bit and seeping some oil onto the exhaust manifold.
Could be a simple fix.

Agreed.

The VCG on these engines are pretty easy and CHEAP to change.
I did mine as preventative maint. last summer. Mine only has a few miles short of 100k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back