Focus ST, Accident and 2-Year Follow-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been meaning to post about this, but I have just been a little too busy to get around to it. Our Focus ST just hit it's 2nd year of ownership. Overall, I have nothing different to say from year one.

The car is a blast to drive, even if it hopping around from my kid's school or the grocery store. I feel like it could be a lot faster nowadays, but this is how I always get with any vehicle fast or slow... after driving it every day you itch for more "Oomph". I know this is in my head though since anytime someone drives the thing they comment on how it's a lot quicker than they expected. It's also a pretty noticeable reminded when I haven't driven it in a few days.

MPG's are consistent and good in my opinion. Lots of around town driving. Average 22-24 in the winter, 25-27 in the warmer months. If I was doing mainly highway I would be in the 27-32 range depending on how I drive. Best I ever gotten was 34.5MPG on a 160 mile trip, all hwy... and I was going for best fuel economy.

Only real complaint I can say is weird creaks and squeaks in the interior, especially when cold. Interior is pretty good IMO, but the spots where costs were cut is the spots where I notice the noises. I blame the unforgiving hard suspension matched up with an interior made for a soft, easy driving, economy car.

The car got in an accident. I believe it was this fall, not 100% sure on the date. I am going to be 31 next month. This was my very first accident and even though stuff went pretty smooth it was a lousy, time consuming experience.

I was at a light in a turning lane. Guy in front of me had a big, older model (Late 90's?) Jeep Cherokee. There was a straight lane to my right and a guy in a huge truck was trying to get over in the turning lane while the light was red. The man driving the jeep gave him the "no problem" wave and proceeded to back up to let him in, with me at a light, and cars behind me. He must have completely not seen me because he backed up pretty fast.

I honked as soon as I saw the scenario play out and his reverse lights go on but no, BAM! Messed up the ST. The guy couldn't have been going more than a few miles an hour but his truck and it's height did some damage.

Initial estimate from his insurance company was a joke, using very cheap regular Focus aftermarket replacement parts. I was able to pick my body shop and they were great. They declined almost all the estimate parts, and since there is very little aftermarket ST stuff, 90%+ of everything was OEM.

New hood, new bumper, some support pieces here and there, and the headlights. The housing cracked in both of them, so I had to get two brand new headlights. Boy are these OEM HID's expensive! About $1400 a pop. The total estimate was just shy of $10k.

Took 3 weeks or more for the car to come back, they did a great job. Things happen. I am just glad it wasn't worse.

Here's one I just took after the first wash this winter lol. Has the snow tires on.

Okay,back to work. Just thought I would share with you guys.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Its obscene that two headlights are 10% of the new cost of the car (roughly).

Have you seen how complicated some of these housings are? And the associated electronics? (auto-leveling, swiveling, HID ignitor/ballast, etc)

I agree that it's outrageous, but there are a lot of components packed in there.

Originally Posted By: dparm

Have you seen how complicated some of these housings are? And the associated electronics? (auto-leveling, swiveling, HID ignitor/ballast, etc)

I agree that it's outrageous, but there are a lot of components packed in there.

I have glass housing headlights on my 1999 Ram and they too allow me to see at nighttime. Probably $10 each.

Originally Posted By: jigen
I feel like it could be a lot faster nowadays, but this is how I always get with any vehicle fast or slow... after driving it every day you itch for more "Oomph".

So, are you thinking of upgrading to something different anytime soon?
smile.gif
Oh wait, this is your wife's car, isn't it?

There was a study some years ago about auto parts, they added up all parts(MSRP) for a vehicle and the sump was about 5-6 times the whole vehicle, this part total wasn't include the labor to put all parts together to make the vehicle.

Yes, manufactures and dealers make more money selling parts and services than selling new vehicle.

Quattro: nah, it's fun and carries two kids comfortably. We have a house and a minivan. The new car phase is over unless the thing is paid off and gets good money or its totaled.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Yes, manufactures and dealers make more money selling parts and services than selling new vehicle.

Insurance will do that to prices. Because insurance kicks in, the customer typically does not care about what things cost, so the prices keep going up and up. Same thing with medical costs, but now even people's co-pays are outrageous.

If everyone had a haircut insurance, your haircut would cost $1000 dollars.

I have glass housing headlights on my 1999 Ram and they too allow me to see at nighttime. Probably $10 each.

Apples to oranges. That Focus' headlamps provide vastly superior illumination.

The $1,300.00 list price for a Focus ST headlight does not include the ballast ($375.33) or the actuator ($363.57). They are neither auto-leveling nor swiveling to my knowledge. So it comes to $2,038.90 for what is really just a very bright headlight.

NADA says that a 2014 Focus ST with 36,000 miles is worth $20k, so it will total out at $15k in most states. Two headlight assemblies already has you more than a quarter of the way to a total on one of these cars!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Looks like the bumper cover to fender arch is a good half inch off. Is that the way the car came from Ford or is it just the camera?

There is some sort of insert on the front fender. Maybe to keep stone chips off?

It's the protector from the dealer. Doors have them too. People say they look dumb, but I have two little Girls gong in and out of the back. They've saved me a few times already.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Insurance will do that to prices. Because insurance kicks in, the customer typically does not care about what things cost, so the prices keep going up and up. Same thing with medical costs, but now even people's co-pays are outrageous.

If everyone had a haircut insurance, your haircut would cost $1000 dollars.

I could have cashed in on that a few times LOL.

Glad to hear it's fixed and still gives you a thrill when you drive it!

Accidents stink, especially when people back into you. Happened to me too.

Thanks!

On an oil side note, the car has had 4 total changes (25k on the odometer). First one I changed early around 1500 mi. Two changes with Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 I had left over and two with Castrol Edge Extended 5w30. Based on intervals I saw online, I am sticking with 6k or 6months, whatever comes first. Ford's OLM doesn't seem too dependable with this engine, it only notified me to change the oil once in its 25k miles. I wonder if people are listening to the thing and stretching out oil changes ever 12k or so miles.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Glad to hear it's fixed and still gives you a thrill when you drive it!

Accidents stink, especially when people back into you. Happened to me too.

Especially when it is utter carelessness! The OP had his horn blaring and still the moron in the Jeep was clueless. My guess is the idiot was on his phone or distracted by something else inside his Jeep thing. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back