foaming oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
today I decided to go on a long ride with a buddy. It was probably atleast a 50 mile ride. We rode hard, redlined, yada yada. Prior to riding I started the bike let it warm up and checked everything. Everything was fine, but the oil needed to be topped off. Quite a bit actually which was odd. About 8/10s of a quart.

I did an oil change prior to the winter season and I had noticed some oil on the parking lot over the winter season as well as a few puffs upon its first start a few months ago. I figured thats what it was(the missing oil). After our ride I decided to check the oil again, no oil was burned but it was foamed on the glass. Some googling suggested the oil was contaminated. The oil has less than 1k on it and we just went for a long ride. I would think any contaminants would evaporate away. I just wanted to get the forums opinion. I've never seen this before.

SV650. I originally did the oil change with 10w40 valvoline motorcycle oil. I topped it off with mostly the same oil then a little bit of 15w40 delo 400 le

You may have misjudged and when you added oil you actually didn't require any,and accidentally over-filled it.
Which may cause the oil level to be too high and the crank is splashing into the oil,causing the foaming.
I suggest draining a quart,and go for a ride and re-check.
Is the bike liquid cooled and is it possible for coolant to somehow get into the oil,if so that also could be an issue however I'm leaning towards the oil overfilled

Used to own an 07 gsxr and the sight glass showed foamy/bubbly always after riding. The oil was T6 rotella. Its normal if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: hisilver
Used to own an 07 gsxr and the sight glass showed foamy/bubbly always after riding. The oil was T6 rotella. Its normal if you ask me.

Man, if i ever saw foamed oil in the sight glass i would be having a breakdown.
Very bad news IMO

Just double check and make sure that it's not over full. If it is drain it until it is between the add and full marks. If it's not over full I wouldn't worry about it and ride.

Originally Posted By: KW
Just double check and make sure that it's not over full. If it is drain it until it is between the add and full marks. If it's not over full I wouldn't worry about it and ride.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back