Flying with Firearms.

no, in many experiences the locks on the pistol case itself cannot be tsa approved, i.e. only you can have the key or combo to the locks, tsa locks can be unlocked by someone with the appropriate key. in any event i always travel with extra sufficient tsa and non-tsa locks on me to account for any vagaries. know laws at departure/transit/arrival airports, https://www.handgunlaw.us/

i very often fly with declared & checked pistols, including to/from/through ord, phl, san, except never/never to/from/through ewr, lga, jfk, bos. ensure that your pistol case is hardsided and has two locking points (pelican cases are generally gtg). apply non-tsa locks to the pistol case, and in then place this pistol case inside some regular airline bag with a tsa lock applied. pistols and mags must be unloaded, ammo in factory box or plastic purpose-built ammo case only, all inside pistol case. check in early and declare to airline staff. follow their instructions and you should be retrieving this specially redtagged checked bag not on carousel but at airline’s own baggage service desk. be patient, some airline staff are unsure and occasionally upset with firearms, others are a sheer pleasure and make small talk about their own pieces.
this, the only one that is supposed to open the case is yourself. if they really want to open it they will cut off the locks. how many locks depends on how the case is designed. they don't want it to be openable enough to be able to take the gun out . pelican cases are great but the faux pelicans work jsut as well

In Chicago you can be arrested for possession of high capacity magazines, no?

Check with local pawn shop FFL. My local guy could ship 3 guns for under $50-$60 using USPS.

In Jersey it is illegal to transport a handgun in a vehicle unless you are going to or from a LGS or shooting range from you home
or vice versa. It's the trip to the airport that can be problematic.

Then how about taking it apart and shipping in two boxes as parts?
Just as the frame of the car, with the VIN, is the car, so the frame (or receiver) of the gun is the gun. The box with the serialized part is still a box with a firearm in it. The other box is just parts.

OP - You need to be very careful. A probate process will allow you to transfer certain firearms (like hand guns, which is what I presume you mean by duty weapon) from your brother to you.

But if you are a resident of another state, this transfer of handguns is illegal, and the transfer, under Federal law, must take place at an FFL in your state.

I recently went through this with my own brother, who is, thankfully, still living but in another state.

We ended up going through an FFL to FFL transfer.

I am remiss in not saying this at first; I am very sorry for your loss. My brother is a great guy. Can’t imagine life without him.

OP - You need to be very careful. A probate process will allow you to transfer certain firearms (like hand guns, which is what I presume you mean by duty weapon) from your brother to you.

But if you are a resident of another state, this transfer of handguns is illegal, and the transfer, under Federal law, must take place at an FFL in your state.

I recently went through this with my own brother, who is, thankfully, still living but in another state.

I am remiss in not saying this at first; I am very sorry for your loss. My brother is a great guy. Can’t imagine life without him.
That sounds like a less risky option. Take it to an FFL dealer in his state and have him ship it to an FFL dealer in your home state.

FFFEMT -

Condolences on your loss.

And please pay attention to the above advice.
It will likely save you more additional heartache.

Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. After reading all of the comments, I will do an FFL-to-FFL transfer. It will cost some dollars, but in the end, it will be less of a headache and the safest way to get them to Arizona.

Will be acquiring 3 firearms (duty weapons) from my brother. He passed away in Dec., 2021. Was a LEO for 30 years. Guns will be in a locked Pelican case, which will be checked in as a separate piece of luggage. Does anyone have experience flying with firearms. I want to make this as problem free as possible.
There is a good video from Tmac which is pat McNamara who teaches shooting classes and he travels frequently so check it out its good!

Read VERY carefully - the link you provided states the rules for transporting a firearm TO or THROUGH. The rules for transporting WITHIN the state of NJ are as @Ursatdx stated.
I was a a State cop in NJ. I know exactly what 2C states regarding transport of firearms.
I'll save you the trouble: "
(1) The temporary possession of a handgun, rifle or shotgun by a person receiving, possessing, carrying or using the handgun, rifle, or shotgun under the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1992, c.74 (C.2C:58-3.1) shall not be considered unlawful possession under the provisions of subsection b. or c. of this section.

(2) The temporary possession of a firearm by a person receiving, possessing, carrying or using the firearm under the provisions of section 1 of P.L.1997, c.375 (C.2C:58-3.2) shall not be considered unlawful possession under the provisions of this section."

Last edited:

ew Jersey Firearm Transport Laws​

The primary law governing the transport of firearms in the state is N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6g. The gist of the statute is that, absent a permit to carry, an individual may only transport a firearm under the following circumstances:

1. By a licensed firearm dealer transporting firearms during the course of their business;
  2. An individual transporting a firearm between their dwelling and business, between their dwellings or between their dwelling or business and a firearm repair shop; or
  3. Transport to or from a shooting range, a hunting site, or a sponsored firearm exhibition.
The firearm must always be properly secured and stowed during transport. This means that the firearm must be “unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gun box, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported”. The firearm must be unloaded and should not be accessible from the passenger compartment.

Deviations In Transport. An individual is permitted to transport a firearm in accordance with (1), (2) and (3), and during the course of deviations reasonably necessary under the circumstances. Transport that goes outside this authorized range renders possession of the firearm unlawful. Examples of stops or detours that are referenced as reasonably necessary include getting gas/fuel, stopping for food or beverages, seeking medical attention, using a restroom/bathroom, or dealing with an emergency situation.

The real issue is the confusion by owners and LEO as to what the convoluted laws actually mean.

Make sure your lock is TSA approved. I've traveled with firearms many times and had no problems. I did learn and follow the procedures exactly.

[edit] Always put a bright colored chamber flag in each firearm. The TSA inspectors LOVE to see those. The flags make your inspection time short and quick.
That’s odd, any time I’ve done it they wanted a non tsa approved lock.

That’s odd, any time I’ve done it they wanted a non tsa approved lock.
The rules state that a TSA approved lock can be used.

From the TSA website: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Only the passenger should retain the key or combination to the lock unless TSA personnel request the key to open the firearm container to ensure compliance with TSA regulations. You may use any brand or type of lock to secure your firearm case, including TSA-recognized locks.

This language may have changed in the ten years since I traveled with firearms. I seem to remember a decade ago, the locks were required to be TSA approved, or they would cut them if they felt they needed to get into the case.

I did have a TSA approved lock cut by the TSA with bolt cutters, with no explanation given to me. I was pretty irritated, but I had my case in hand and nothing was missing, so the best path was to just leave without pushing the topic.

As a Cook / Lake County Illinois resident for the first 38 years of my life, I see only one potential problem. That is Illinois's now infamous Firearm Owners I.D. Card.

This is an identification card you must have, in order to be in possession of a firearm.... Any firearm, at any time. People have had guns taken from them because of this. And some for simply allowing them to expire. There are all sorts of horror stories involving this. It quite literally is gun control run amok.

Your situation might allow for an exception, I don't know. (Inherited firearms). But for sure and for certain make some calls and check into it. If someone asks you for your Firearm Owners Identification Card, and you can't produce one, there could be problems or complications. It pays to check ahead.

As a Cook / Lake County Illinois resident for the first 38 years of my life, I see only one potential problem. That is Illinois's now infamous Firearm Owners I.D. Card.

This is an identification card you must have, in order to be in possession of a firearm.... Any firearm, at any time. People have had guns taken from them because of this. And some for simply allowing them to expire. There are all sorts of horror stories involving this. It quite literally is gun control run amok.

Your situation might allow for an exception, I don't know. (Inherited firearms). But for sure and for certain make some calls and check into it. If someone asks you for your Firearm Owners Identification Card, and you can't produce one, there could be problems or complications. It pays to check ahead.
The rule is pretty simple. If you are an Illinois resident, then you must obtain a FOID card before you possess ammunition or firearms. If you are not an Illinois resident, then you may possess ammunition and firearms while you are in the state of IL so long as you can produce an out of state ID.

If an Illinois resident shows up at an airport wanting to transport a firearm on an airplane and doesn't possess a FOID card, then they are just ignorant of the law and will be subject to it.

What a mess and such a long way from 50+ years ago when I'd bring my unloaded and cased rifles onto the A/C and hand off to the the pilot or co who would prop it into their coat locker.

Back