Flying ants all over

JHZR2

Staff member
This year I’ve seen more flying ants all over, than ever before. In all sorts of spots. Weird spots, like on the car. No signs of living ants other than the usual little anthills in sidewalk cracks and in the grass.

These are smaller than carpenter ants. Not sure if there are other wood boring small ants around.

The dust here is pollen. It’s been a pretty bad season.
CF735D40-0FBF-4A20-A0F9-6AFEE9199AEE.jpeg
9929E52D-65C3-4363-96DC-0A6093CFDA14.jpeg
BD1F19E5-B0D8-45BD-A3B2-516340FA5ADA.jpeg

Not all have wings of course, some look like the photo above, but most do have wings.

These are all over, as in multiple different properties I own, so it’s not like an infestation in one spot.

I’m primarily concerned about ants that might bore into wood. I don’t care about ants that just scavenge dead bugs and live in ant hills in the ground.

Some of these ants I see are at my home property, but we have never had an ant inside of the house as long as we have lived there, and I’ve never seen any signs of wood infesting bugs in my house. So that’s good. Some I’ve recently seen are on my stone garage. The concern I have is if they’re trying to get into the wood roof structure. No signs of that but I don’t want to find out the hard way.

What is the right spray for my buildings to treat against such ants to be proactive? Borate?

Last edited:
This penetrates wood and can be used in wall voids. Good for termites and carpenter ants. What you took picks of looks like ants, termites have less of a waist on their body. But both could be flying around.

I've seen that before years ago when I was a kid. The majority of flying ants are males that are prepared to impregnate a queen to start a new colony, then die (what a way to go). Then the queens will fly away where they establish a new colony, where most will bite off their wings.

This penetrates wood and can be used in wall voids. Good for termites and carpenter ants. What you took picks of looks like ants, termites have less of a waist on their body. But both could be flying around.

Boracare is very safe .

We get them every year around this time. Carpenter ants. I usually spray the exterior prior to spring so the would is saturated. But i've never used Bora Care like @spasm3 posted. I'll definitely look into that.

Whoa I've never heard of this stuff. I'm laying traps down outside every spring/summer when I find marching lines going straight up and under the siding. It works, but it is relentless. This stuff just keeps them away permanently?

Whoa I've never heard of this stuff. I'm laying traps down outside every spring/summer when I find marching lines going straight up and under the siding. It works, but it is relentless. This stuff just keeps them away permanently?
Kills them if they try to eat the wood. For perimeter foundation and ground spraying I use Onslaught.

If you have small ants keep returning, Taurus SC which is fipronil. Dont mix it stronger than the directions as you want it to be carried back to the colony, Taurus is the generic version of Termidor . Just be careful where and how you use it, you don't want collateral damage to bees.

Back