Flushed my PS using "new improved" method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a PS flush/Amsoil synthetic ATF switch on my newest Pontiac Vibe today. In the past, I used to disconnect the return line and run the engine to pump the fluid through the system. It worked OK but the PS pump was never very happy during and after the flush.

So I decided to try one of the other methods mentioned here on BITOG, namely, leaving the engine off and simply turning the steering wheel lock to lock to "pump" the fluid through. I never thought it would work but it did!
smile.gif
It took about 4 lock to lock cycles and a few resevoir refills to completely purge the factory ATF from the system.

The nice part is I only used 1 quart total of expensive synthetic ATF, there was no mess from old fluid spraying all over the place and I never got any air in the system! After I hooked the return line back up, topped up the resevoir and started the engine, the fluid level never dropped....cool!
cool.gif

So if you have a car with an easily accessible PS return line, I highly recommend trying this method out.

I just had a thought.
What if you took off the PS pump pulley, and rotated the pulley by hand to slowly pump out the fluid. It would be easier on the pump, and should flush the system right?
I guess it is a little more involved than your method.

quote:

Originally posted by thinshavings:
Where can I find more info on this method?

Same here. Come to think of it, I don't think I ever flushed my PS fluid since I bought my truck 2 years ago
blush.gif
AR

If your car/truck has a remote mounted PS resevoir then it's easy. Here's the steps:

-jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground.
-locate the PS return line and disconnect it from the resevoir. It'll be the smaller of the 2 lines. Have a cup ready to catch the fluid that drains out of the resevoir.
-after the resevoir is empty, plug the return port with something: a bolt, a plastic cap, some plastic and an elastic band, use your imagination.
-then attach a ~3/8" extension hose to the return line. My return line was steel with a small section or rubber attaching it to the resevoir so I removed the rubber section and attached the extension hose directly to the steel. If your return line is all rubber, use a barbed connecter. Have rags handy because a little oil is going to leak out.
-place the other end of the extension hose in a drain pan.
-refill the resevoir with fresh fluid
-turn on the key to unlock the steering wheel and begin turning the wheels lock to lock while monitoring the level in the resevoir. You don't want to let it go dry and suck air into the system. If you have someone help you, they can pour in new fluid while you're turning the wheels.
-continue turning the wheels and flush through as much fluid as you like. 1 quart should be enough, maybe 2 if your old fluid was very dirty.
-re-connect the return line, top up the resevoir, start the engine, cycle the wheels a few more times and recheck the level.

If your return line is not easily accessible you'll have to do some searching for a good place to disconnect it. There will usually be a joint somewhere that you can use.

Turning the pump by hand may work although I don't know if the pump will work at such low speeds.

I just siphon out the reservoir and refill. Do this over a two month period every two weeks if you have never done it before. Once the fluid stays fairly clean I just siphon out the reservoir and refill when I change my oil.

quote:

Originally posted by SHOZ:
I just siphon out the reservoir and refill. Do this over a two month period every two weeks if you have never done it before. Once the fluid stays fairly clean I just siphon out the reservoir and refill when I change my oil.

I do pretty close to the same, difference being I check it at each oil change for smell and appearance. Then only siphon and refill if it isn't nearly like new fluid.

So is this new method only for vehicles with rack and pinion steering? I have the old style recirc that Gm had forever. Will it work on GM cars as well?

I'm not sure but it can't hurt to try it. Disconnect the return line and see if the fluid pumps out when you turn the steeering wheel in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back