Flush out cooling system in the winter, or wait for warmer weather (reliably over freezing 24/7)

Just wondering if I am going to do the repeated drain and fill with water and run until it runs out clear then refill with new is advisable in this weather.

Why are you doing a flush ?
Is the vehicle overheating ?
Is the radiator dirty ?
Heater not working well ?

>Why are you doing a flush ?
Coolant is supposed to be regularly changed out.

>Is the vehicle overheating ?
NO! This is routine maintenance.

>Is the radiator dirty ?
NO! In fact it should be pretty clean. It's was replaced a few years ago.

>Heater not working well ?
YES! Thermostat was also replaced at some point as well.

Maybe flush is the wrong wording but more like this:

I want to get out the existing coolant which is a mix of the original red (or pink??) Toyota coolant and some green stuff added to replaced what was lost when the radiator/water pump/thermostat was replaced (on three separate occasions over the last 21 years), and switch to Peak 10X as I am switching al the vehicles I maintain to that. Only reason I didn't do this earlier is that I wanted to make sure that there were no leaks after I removed and replaced stuff, and now that I have just cleaned out the IAC and throttle body, I'm not anticipating having to touch the cooling system again for some time.

I'm only asking about running water to clean it out in cold weather.
I know......If you think you can flush it out in one day....go for it. Keep in mind tho if the outside temps get below freezing (32)F it could do some damage. That's why you should do a 50/50 flush this time of year.

Back