Fluid Film and Bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided instead of spraying used engine oil on the new car, I'm going to go with fluid film. I have a gallon of the stuff I'll be applying to the car. In. Every. Drain. And enclosed surface.

Part of the issues I had with the last car were from the engine oil eating the suspension bushings. Is Fluid Film safe for the rubber bushings and CV boots? I know engine oil , apparently, wasn't.

TIA!

The car is getting Krown next year.

I really wanted to Krown it this year, but I'm going 24/7 lately and my other two vehicles are out of service so I can't drop it off for a few days to get Krown coated.

Next year
laugh.gif

Do I have to worry about FF eating bushings?

I'll be taking the brakes off as well and appling anti seize to everything. I did that to the Focus and was able to , easily, do the first brake job without any frustrations.

AFAIK, Fluid Film does not eat rubber. I sprayed FF on a steering knuckle several years ago and several ball joints and rubber bushings got the overspray. They still look good!

My Krown does it in 1/2 hour. They are so busy they don't have time to stand around. If you want I can hook you up with my contact here in Hamilton. (About 40 minutes from Onondaga though).

I would do Krown first before Fluid Film if anything... Krown works by giving up it's electrons so that the steel in your car doesn't have to. By putting fluid film on there it will act like an insulator to the krown and the electron transfer won't happen properly or at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Can you rent a $19 a day econobox while it's dropped off for Krown?

In Canada the cheapest Rental is about $49 unless you have some fangled discount through a dealer or something.
lol.gif

We rent regularly as required because we don't have a second vehicle and I have price shopped it all around.

Just do the fluid film and forget Krown. Krown will drip all over your driveway.

I've switched to fluid film (used to do krown and or rust check).

You can get a one gallon can of fluid film at Napa online in the US and pick upnin store for under $40 USD and that will do one car or truck.

As far as I can tell, Fluid Film is paraffin wax in some kind of petroleum base that keeps the wax liquid until applied. I doubt that it would be harmful or interact with Krown. They are probably similar compounds.

Oil leaking on synthetic rubber is probably more about removing plasticizers and a wet / dry cycle that hardens rubber, leading to deterioration, but in my experience it's more likely to be antifreeze (liquid or vapour) that attacks rubber at, say, the steering rack. Then engine fan serves as a very effective distribution system, getting it everywhere. Are you sure it's not a water pump gasket that is leaking?

Here's the answer, direct from the Fluid Film mfg. site:

"FLUID FILM has no adverse effects on plastics. Caution should be used around non oil-resistant rubber goods. May cause swelling."

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I would do Krown first before Fluid Film if anything... Krown works by giving up it's electrons so that the steel in your car doesn't have to. By putting fluid film on there it will act like an insulator to the krown and the electron transfer won't happen properly or at all.

Yes and it's probably also causing a temporal distortion to the space/time continuum making the car in some other parallel universe rust instead of yours.
lol.gif
Who tells you all these stories about Krown? I hope it's not the same guy that claims to have never used any PPEs when spraying Krown and having no adverse effects.

Krown works on the same principle just as any other rustproofing material, that is o create a layer that insulates the metal from the oxygen or other oxidants to prevent corrosion. That's how paint works, rubber undercoatings and yes the almighty Krown that is being shrouded in all sorts o mysteries and fairy tales.

Last edited:
OP, unless driving to Canada and wasting several hours of your time to get your car sprayed specifically by Krown is somhow your thing, there are other options available, especially if you can d it yourself.

Here is a list of locations for Carwell, same stuff as Krown:
Carwell locations

Here is for Corrosion Free, you have to enter your zip:
https://corrosionfree.com/find-a-dealer/

If you want some pricey, but apparently very good stuff contact Trav, he should have more details or perhaps demarpaint, I can't recall exactly who mentioned it.

Everything but the front suspension has been fluid filmed! Car stinks! With all the rain we have been having ... There is no concern about drips in the driveway.

If I can get a nice morning before the salt starts flying , the brakes are coming off and ball jints are getting sprayed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back