fluid alternatives to atf+4

Really a synthetic will work fine or a conventional will work fine. Is your trans builder warrantying anything? If so go with his recommendation, if not then run whatever you want.

yes, the transmission has a 2 year warranty. so i'm thinking i'll run reg dexronIII in it, he told me to run dexronIII or +3, cant find +3 so dexronIII would be what i ran if i follow his instructions. i just really would like to run the max life atf its a dex/merc fluid but its a synthetic, and he said no to synthetics. wich i cant figure out why.

is there any reason type f would make the A-518 transmission perform any different then how type f makes the A-727 perform? i know for a fact that type f works well in the A-727 and the only difference between it and the A-518 is that the A-518 has the overdrive unit on the back of it, other then that i cant see any differences really? the valve bodys might be set up a little different but the internal parts are virtually the same.

Didnt +4 replace +3 I didnt think the additive pack changed much they just improved the longevity of the fluid.

IMO I'd just use what the shop said to use while its in warranty.

yes +4 replaced +3, +4 is a synthetic where +3 is not, and +4 has a little more friction modifyers in it then +4 has. and do you really think if something happenend to the transmission while under warranty they would refuse to fix it because of the atf i chose? that would be pretty weak.... and they would also have to send a sample of the fluid off to somone who could test it and find out what fluid it is, and i imagine that would be expensive to have done? i doubht they would spend the money to find out what atf it was but maybe.....
I'm just wondering if type f would make the A-518 perfrom any different then the A-727, they are pretty much the same transmission except the A-518 has the overdrive on it. I dont see why it would make it perfrom any different? i have a non lock up converter, so type f should be good to use...

would type f be a suitable replacement over the dexIII and +4 in my non lock up A-518? i cant think of any reason type f would make the A-518 perform any different then it makes the A-727 transmission perform? and wich fluid would provide firmer shifts between the valvoline max life atf and the valvoline dex/merc? i was thinking the maxlife might would bring softer shifting compared to the regular dex/merc because it is a synthetic?

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
ATF+4 is good stuff. From all my research there isn't much you can do to make an application that requires ATF+4 do any better than just ATF+4.
It is a case that they did a good job engineering a fluid.

I fully agree, get some Wal-Mart Supertech ATF+4, it'll do you good. I've had great experience with it in a Grand Caravan.

my transmission is a non lock up A-518, its quite different from a transmission in a caravan, from my understanding +4 has to be used in the caravans and other chrysler cars due to the electronic controlled shifts. I been pondering the max life atf, but i just cant get over the fact that my transmission builder advised me against using a synthetic atf.

For crying out loud.

It's a non lockup hydraulically controlled Chrysler transmission.

Use whatever fluid turns your crank after the builders warranty runs out.

Type F doesn't handle high heat very well - change more often.

Dex (old) holds more load than ATF+4 but change frequently.

Here to add actual BAD experience with running stupid AT+4 in a 1991.5 Cummins non-lockup A518 OD, it quickly caused shuddering and slipping.

With trans working great about 8 years ago when I bought the truck, I thought I would do preventive maintenance and change the fluid. Dipstick says Dex II or 7176, but Autozone computer says AT+4, so I trust the parts store, plus neither "old" fluid is available, $120 in fluid later (on sale), bought Castrol Transmax Syn AT+4 brand I believe, I did swap about 11 qts.

Within 200 miles its shuddering and slipping. I'm pissed, so I go to Walmart to get cheapest fluid and buy 3 gallons of Supertech Dex III (available then) for $44 total.
I did the full fluid swap, and it was right as rain, perfect, shifts great, not a single issue for years of snow plowing, towing cars on the highway, and didn't ever service it again since that time. 7-8 years later, just retired truck because body is shot, 30 years in NY, planning to swap engine/trans to a better body.

Do not run AT+4, it is too slick. I wouldn't run synthetic either.
Run Dex/Merc and do pan drains/filter often

Back