Flowmaster Muffler Questions

If you’re looking for the most original Flowmaster sound go with the original 40. I believe they are 2 chamber and the super 40/44 are 3 chamber.

Been there and done that with Flowmasters. If you had a good muffler shop do a dual muffler setup with a crossover (x-pipe) in full stainless, it will sound really good, IMO.

AP Exhaust VX

I used this on my 4.7 WJ and it sounds perfect. Stock cat, stock everything else. It sounds amazing: light burble at idle, good growl up to about 3500 RPM where engine noise takes over.

I'm too old at 6:00 AM when my idiot neighbor cranks up his garbage wagon with probably 40's on it.

Hopefully you're not someones idiot neighbor cranking his garbage wagon at 6:00 AM.
Nope, totally not me 🫣
2B13CEDB-9E1C-45CB-B07A-45AE0DE91F85.gif

I'm too old at 6:00 AM when my idiot neighbor cranks up his garbage wagon with probably 40's on it.

Hopefully you're not someones idiot neighbor cranking his garbage wagon at 6:00 AM.
I'm too old at 69, but I don't get up till 7AM and don't hit the streets till afternoon, so far no complaints. :D

Running a Super 10 on my Silverado with turn downs, single 3" system and it's not that loud compared to the 40 series that was on their before, as was stated, no annoying drone, only the purring of the V8. ;)
71i6QjAMBpL.jpg
Too a point. Then you lose your hearing and them flowmasters sound like a gentle breeze.

Had FM 40s on the 77 in my sig and after about 10 miles I wanted to get out and walk. Since the 454 lost the cam the drive train will be junked and a 6.2 LS from an 11 Camaro is being installed with a Magnaflo stainless system.

My fiancé's younger son has a 97 GMC with a Super 44 muffler on it and it sounds very good. It has a 5.7L in it. I have a Flowmaster catback on my 98 K3500 with the 454 and it has a 50 series muffler on it and it's not very loud.

I'm sure once he gets older he won't like the exhaust noise, although on trucks you really can't hear the drone like you would on a car or SUV since the tail pipe exits so far behind the cab. One of my friends in high school had the same muffler on his truck that I had on my Jeep back then, and he was amazed how much louder it was inside my Jeep.

Now in my 30s they sound cool for a day or two until I need to go on an hour+ drive.

On Wednesday (12/14/22) my son had the FM Original 40, duals out the back with 3.5" rolled tips. I think it sounds like a GT Mustangs factory exhaust. He's very happy and that's all that matters.

not a fan of blowmasters but anything not stainless will have a shorter life, even cheaper 400 grades will corrode but not rust thru for a long time especially if not in a snow-salt belt as you are. my complete blowmaster header back was toast in under 5 years on my 56 bel air! these days its 304 stainless if available as its lifetime + theres no outside corroding like the 409 grade many use.

2004 F150 Lariat (New body style) 5.4 3V Engine
This is my son's truck. He wants to get a cat back exhaust into a Flowmaster muffler with duals out the back and 3.5" rolled tips.
Which muffler is the loudest, the Super 40 or the original 40? I have only used the original 40's on a few of my street rods in the past. I have no clue what the difference is between the two.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
I'd double check if the local area has any noise ordnances. If it's a cop magnet, it won't be worth it.

Why get a muffler to cancel out some resonance when one can just straight pipe it?

I'd double check if the local area has any noise ordnances. If it's a cop magnet, it won't be worth it.

Why get a muffler to cancel out some resonance when one can just straight pipe it?
Because like the 1K's of others out there are doing the same thing for the sound?
And it's NOT NEARLY loud enough to draw a cops attention.

If it still has the converters on it then dual 40s shouldn't be terrible, they just sound like azz to me. A single dual in-dual out magnaflow with built in X pipe will sound better and outperform the FM.

Back