Floor Jacks

I am looking to buy a floor jack and narrowed it down to these two from Harbor Freight. I need a floor jack that would be able to lift my cars and as well as full size SUV's and Pick-up's.

Does anyone have the long reach one? Is it a lot better/nicer to have with than the regular one when working on SUV's or pick-up's?

I had no use for the low profile jack so I went in a different direction. I paid a bit less for the HF branded jack, but stepped up a ton to their 4 ton version. I use it for my two Jeeps and full size van. No regrets other than the jack weighing about 100 lbs. The HF jacks get some great reviews.

I have a rodcraft one, had it for years now. 3 tons aswell and 88 pounds.

A lighter jack would be nicer but are they as strong and stable?

I have a rodcraft one, had it for years now. 3 tons aswell and 88 pounds.

A lighter jack would be nicer but are they as strong and stable?
I hear you about the weight. I don't mind the 100 lbs. since I roll the jack around. I'd rather have something strong and solid, and the 4 ton jack is just that.

I have the 3 ton long reach. I went with the long reach/ low profile as it had 4 inches more lifting height. Helpful for my travel trailer.

Happy with it, just check the oil level, mine was low.
IMG_20211011_073746497.jpg

I have the low profile long reach and it’s great. I spoke of it on here before. It gets under anything both low and far away like a cross member and it can lift a truck up due to its long arm. One of the best purchases I ever made.

I too have an older low profile, long reach HF floor jack. It looks identical but just painted a different color. I love it. It is great for reaching under my Subaru Impreza to get to the rear differential (which is the car’s rear central jackpoint). If the jack was .5” taller, I wouldn’t be able to get to it because of the trailer hitch.

Yes, I have the Canadian Tire version of the three ton low profile and I think it’s the way to go if you need to lift a pickup truck. It might be over kill for small cars but at least its low profile lets you get in underneath.

I have used it to lift the front end of a pickup at the cross member and placed floor jacks on either side. That would be a single lift of about 1-1/2 tons.

666F11CB-E00D-40AC-93A7-942FDA12D7A3.jpeg

Last edited:
I had no use for the low profile jack so I went in a different direction. I paid a bit less for the HF branded jack, but stepped up a ton to their 4 ton version. I use it for my two Jeeps and full size van. No regrets other than the jack weighing about 100 lbs. The HF jacks get some great reviews.

This is the model I was looking at as well. I like the 4 ton capacity, and I really don't have the need for the low profile model either. I don't think there is anyone out there that can match Harbor Freight on their floor jacks for quality vs. price.

This is the model I was looking at as well. I like the 4 ton capacity, and I really don't have the need for the low profile model either. I don't think there is anyone out there that can match Harbor Freight on their floor jacks for quality vs. price.
You're right, you'd be hard pressed to find a floor jack out there that is going to match HF on quality vs. price for their jacks. I did notice the prices have gone up quite a bit though, but that's another story for another time. ;)

I too have an older low profile, long reach HF floor jack. It looks identical but just painted a different color. I love it. It is great for reaching under my Subaru Impreza to get to the rear differential (which is the car’s rear central jackpoint). If the jack was .5” taller, I wouldn’t be able to get to it because of the trailer hitch.

This is the reason I started thinking about a long reach, I am thinking this won't work as well with the low profile regular reach.

I have the low profile one (not long reach) and it fits perfect under my BMW. I use it for a lot of things ranging from lawn equipment to cars and trucks. It seems to be holding up well so far, I really can't complain considering it's price, and that it has lasted longer than some much more expensive jacks I've owned.

The benefits of going “long reach” are that you’ll be able to get a bigger handle swing when your jack point is deeper under the vehicle, such as on an axle, differential, or frame rail. Especially helpful if you have something else obstructing the swing of the handle, such as side steps, tow hitches etc. if your jack points are at the outer edges of the vehicle, such as a pinch weld, you won’t see the benefits of the longer reach.

For example … Ive got 3 jacks, they measure 26, 32, and 38 inches in length. I’ve got a Ford Transit with side steps. To reach the front jackpoint, the 26” jack is so far under the vehicle, that the handle can only be swung up and down about 2” which, makes the jack completely useless as with that small amount of handle swing, there is no lift in the saddle. The 32 and 36” length jacks, the handle clears the sidesteps, and I can get full swings of the handle.

The downsides are that if you’re working in a tight garage, you might need to angle the jack to fit against a wall. they cost a little more, and take a little more room for storage.

Overall, I’m a proponent of longer reach jacks.

Long reach hands down. I have both and don't know how many times that extra height and or reach came in useful. I only use the regular reach as a secondary jack to do things like support or raise control arms and differentials. On trucks or that fast acting lift pedal alone is worth the extra money.

I've got the HF long reach 3 ton in yellow. Check the specs some of them lift 1 or more inches that the other models. I'm glad I bought it before prices went up and coupons went bye bye.

It's still a great value for the price.

Here’s a shot of the 3 ton long reach low profile in action. I’m about to pull off a rear rim on a 3/4 ton suburban. It’s Canadian Tire’s Eliminator brand name but is the same as the Daytona.

873D4680-98C0-4D6C-A740-4E7C6B8F2D81.jpeg

Last edited:
Back