Flat earthers???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AndyinAL
Thanks for the useless comment but I don't live in Alabama anymore.

And Alabama thanks you for relocating.

Why do all other objects in space appear round? The sun, moon, other planets, stars?

What is the incentive to trick people into thinking the Earth is round?

VHF radio waves travel in straight lies, When the receiver gets beyond the curve the signal fades. Those same waves can travel millions of miles in space. Go figure. I've been on the water long enough to understand the term "hull down". So, believe YOU, or your own lying eyes.

Wow...I hope he ain't serious. Ask Buzz if he actually landed on the moon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the heliocentric model of the Earth orbiting the Sun is a fairly recent one. Ancient people knew the Earth was flat. The Bible describes a stationary, non-moving Earth. But I don't want to get into politics or religion here. Just giving an example from an older text that pre-dates NASA.

Eratosthenes made a remarkably accurate measurement of the circumference of the Earth around 200BC. You can also find numerous examples from ancient art that show the Earth as a sphere (including coins that I own).
Here is an example of a spherical Earth on a Roman coin, showing the deceased son of Domitian as a god seated on the Earth and playing with stars.
http://romanumismatics.com/articles/article/rome-domitia-domitians-deified-son/

As expected, no one has proven any curvature. And you do not have to be accelerating upwards for there to be differentials in density. Of course things with greater density are going to fall from things with less density, like air
How does a satellite orbit around a flat disc and why is it that an orbiting satellite which is not geostationary looses VHF and UHF radio contact when it moves beyond the horizon ... or is this all NASA trickery?

People can find whatever they want on the internet in order to back their claims/beliefs.

Sad

Supposedly thousands of satellites up there. Why do we never see a single one from the fake ISS footage? Can someone produce a real picture of one in orbit that is not an animation?

This is a weird thing to debate over.

If the earth is a sphere then nothing is new.

If the earth is flat and everything we know is fabricated to push a false reality, then not much is new.

The military had GPS and satellite communication before there were satellites. Still, most all communication is ground-based and transmitted between continents through fiber-optic cables on the ocean floor

This has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. As a former military pilot (C-17) I often flew trips around the world using only easterly headings until arriving back in the United States. I've seen this gang on facebook too. They overrun pages with their gifs and memes mucking up logical conversation like they have something to prove.

OP, state your quals. I want to see why you think any of us should listen to your basement logic.

Please don't feed this troll.

Last edited:
Planeman, thank you for your service. We are having a voluntary discussion / debate here. Nobody is forced to join or hang around.

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Wait, what?

I thought the Earth was hollow and aliens lived inside.

As expected, no one has proven any curvature.

You can almost see Alabama from this view, but its obscured by clouds and brain-fog apparently:
earth-from-space1.jpg

Supposedly thousands of satellites up there. Why do we never see a single one from the fake ISS footage? Can someone produce a real picture of one in orbit that is not an animation?

Satellites can easily be tracked using telescopes, binoculars, and even the naked eye. I had a good friend who loved to do this in his spare time.

http://csastro.org/eosoc/

As expected, no one has proven any curvature. And you do not have to be accelerating upwards for there to be differentials in density. Of course things with greater density are going to fall from things with less density, like air

I flew on Concorde before they retired it. You could see the curvature of the earth from Concorde, because it flew much higher than regular aircraft, at 60,000 feet.

For the record, I did not start this thread, I merely responded giving my personal opinion. If you have the intellectual curiosity to look into it further please do. Makes me no difference. Your mockery of me means absolutely nothing. Or you can go back to arguing the fascinating topic of 20 weight versus 30 weight motor oil and which one does a better job of filling a .0015" bearing clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back