FL820S Oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud

Our local W-M seems to have the Motorcraft filters in stock. I also buy the FL820S for my 95 CV. From some of the info that I've seen here though, might be time to stock up on the FL820S next time I'm in there. The ST-2's also seem to be in stock when I look, but I usually stick to the Motorcraft filters.

On thing that is more hit and miss is the MC 5W-30 sythetic blend, though. They only carry it in the quart bottles and it's been sold out on more than one occasion.

I was in Wal-Mart this morning, checking to see if they still have Motorcraft products. Well, they are all stocked up & looking good, except for the oil filter I need - #FL820S. Not a single one to be found.

Is this filter so common that people buy more of these than anything else, or do people just buy up all that are on the shelf at once? None of the other filters were in short supply.

FWIW, the SuperTech equivalent (ST2) was also completely sold out. Do you guys notice the same thing in your local WallyWorlds?

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I was in Wal-Mart this morning, checking to see if they still have Motorcraft products. Well, they are all stocked up & looking good, except for the oil filter I need - #FL820S. Not a single one to be found.

Is this filter so common that people buy more of these than anything else, or do people just buy up all that are on the shelf at once? None of the other filters were in short supply.

FWIW, the SuperTech equivalent (ST2) was also completely sold out. Do you guys notice the same thing in your local WallyWorlds?

Yes, it is a very common filter. I believe all F-150's & Tauruses use the same filter. '96-current Mustangs also.

All modular V8 Fords use the FL820S filter. That's the reason why they run out. Plus, guys like me buy about ten or twenty of them at a time.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
...Plus, guys like me buy about ten or twenty of them at a time.

I knew somebody was buying those things in bulk.
wink.gif
Considering the number of Ford trucks in my neck of the woods, it's no wonder Wally-World is out of them.

Wellllllllllll, was at the local Walmart here in Chickasha Saturday night. Sure enough, you boys were right on as usual. Tire shop manager said that they were not going to get any more Motorcraft stuff PERIOD. Oil included. He told me that a lot of his customers are farmers and they are all ticked off about it because that's all they use. He then pulled out his last case of FL820s filters, and can you guess who bought every last one of them? Going...going...GONE! Wife thinks I'm crazy but she won't be laughing when she sees how much money I saved. However, it will probably take a couple of years to recoup the initial loss, but that's NOT the point.

I have a friend that is a manager for Wally World. She was told that Wal Mart has some kind of thing going on with both Mobil and Fram. No more AC/Delco, or Ford filters. The only thing she knew about any oil, was they were pulling a lot of product. Quaker State and Valvoline for starts. That was to make room for an expanding Mobil/Mobil 1 line.

FYI-She said she wouldn't let a Wal Mart TOUCH her car, be it an oil change, or new tires.
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LiquidS2:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

Yes, it is a very common filter. I believe all F-150's & Tauruses use the same filter. '96-current Mustangs also.

Our '01 Taurus 12v OHC uses the FL400S.

quote:

Originally posted by TAL:
How good is the Motorcraft FL820S?

How does it compare to the Amsoil or Mobile 1 oil filters?

For normal OCI's one's probably as good as the other. Here's a theory of mine:

Take three identical new vehicles. Fill them with the same oil. Operate all three in the same climate with identical driving styles. OCI's @5k miles; all three use the same oil. Go for 300k miles.

Vehicle one uses Motorcraft filter.
Vehicle two uses Amsoil filter.
Vehicle three uses Mobil 1 filter.

At the end of the 300k, completely tear the engines down. Assuming none of the three suffered any engine parts failures during the 300k, I'll bet you the wear levels would be almost identical on all three engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back