FL820S Cut Open - '08 Lincoln Navigator 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
... So many people forget that most all cars - even up into the early 60's - - had NO OIL FILTER at all! Even in torn oil filters, most of the oil is getting filtered. ...
I doubt "most" cars lacked oil filters that late, but some had no filter in the fifties. An optional partial-flow (bypass) cartridge filter was on my parents' 1954 Chevy. My former landlady's '55 Chevy (similar engine) without the then-optional filter made it well past 100K, without becoming a serious oil guzzler. A full-flow filter with a tear becomes a bypass filter. My 1962 Chevrolet owner's manual implies an oil filter was standard by then. My parents' 1959 Rambler had a standard spin-on full-flow filter, which was new technology then.

Last edited:
Know the difference between a Xerox machine and an MC/Puro filter?

Xerox has stronger paper inside

One thing I found interesting were the black pieces of the fiber base piece that were caught in the filter media because it was falling apart. When the metal end cap fell off, the material underneath it was brittle and the pieces that were stuck in the media...you could see the places that it had fallen off from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back