FJ Cruiser oil choices and reccomendations.

Going to be picking up a 38k mile, 2014 FJ Cruiser with the 4.0. Seems to be spec'd for 0w20 in the later model years with the newer "LEV Eco Friendly" version of the 1GR-FE. It supposedly gained an "improved DOCH VVT-i" system.

0w20 seems to be pretty thin, and I have seen quite a few owners who use 5w-30 instead. It does make sense for an overhead cam motor with all the fine little passages for VVT would use such an oil... but still. Is it true that the same SUV outside of the U.S. is spec'd for 5-30?

What would be your guy's suggestions for an oil, filter (CARTRIDGE FILTER UGH!) and OCI for this? Anything else to look for?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Pennzoil platinum 0w20 for cartridge wix xp or frame ultra. Something that won't twist. The pretty low mileage. I would see if it's still covered under warranty. You may have to use the Toyota filter in that case.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Going to be picking up a 38k mile, 2014 FJ Cruiser with the 4.0. Seems to be spec'd for 0w20 in the later model years with the newer "LEV Eco Friendly" version of the 1GR-FE. It supposedly gained an "improved DOCH VVT-i" system.

0w20 seems to be pretty thin, and I have seen quite a few owners who use 5w-30 instead. It does make sense for an overhead cam motor with all the fine little passages for VVT would use such an oil... but still. Is it true that the same SUV outside of the U.S. is spec'd for 5-30?

What would be your guy's suggestions for an oil, filter (CARTRIDGE FILTER UGH!) and OCI for this? Anything else to look for?

Thanks.

You are in Massachusetts? I think I would just stick with the specified 0w-20 or 5w-20 because of the cold winters and mild summers.

The LS400 had VVT and spec'd 5w-30 or 10w-30 in the US, overseas beyond the reach of CEFE fuel mileage standards Toyota is specifying all the way up to 20w-50 for VVT motors in desert climates. here in Florida I stray from the spec, 5w-30 is a popular choice for the 5.7l in the south, some going 10w-30. but in Mass I don't see the point in leaving spec.

Amazon has case and half case quantity of Toyota cartridge filters for good pricing. some Toyota filters are even available at Walmart now, Toyota filters are very consistent quality, I have never heard of a defect in one, unlike many other brands.

Last edited:
I am running Amsoil 0w-30 in my `18 4Runner with the same engine. It is quieter than the factory fill, might be coincidental with it breaking in.

I am also running the TRD oil filter.

Either way, it seems as this engine can run almost anything from 0w-20 to 15w-40. So pick your favorite and it will last a very long time.

Last edited:
Congrats on the great ride! I had a 2010 TT FJ cruiser it was a very capable, maneuverable and fun vehicle. I only ran 0w20 in it for the 8 years I owned it.
I would probably run 5w30 synthetic Dexos oil or 0w40 if I still had it. That's what I do with its replacement now. They are very tolerant.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
We have a 2010 Tacoma 4.0 at work and it gets 5w20 conventional at the quick lube. If I was doing the changes I'd run 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. It always gets at least 10 minutes warn up while the guys load equipment and get ready in the winter. But anything will be fine. The transmission will likely fail before the engine. Or the frame will rust out.

Have a 2007 FJ with 150K miles. I just picked up Napa 5w30 synthetic which is basically Valvoline on sale. On the bottle is says developed by Valvoline. They have it in a 0w20. Any name brand will be fine.

How many of you have ever had engine failures that could actually be traced to using the oil the manufacturer specified?

That's what I thought, none. OP, just use what the US OM says, you don't live in any of those other countries. Despite the wealth of oil knowledge on this board, only a couple are actually trained, employed, and qualified to make oil recommendations contrary to the vehicle's OM. Good air filters and a sealed intake tract are more important to the life of an engine than straying from the recommended oil.

Good find on the low mileage FJ, they are certainly fetching good money.
The 4.0 will eat anything you throw at it. For the last 10 years I have been using 5W-30 and Toyota filters with no issues (2010 Tacoma, 2018 4Runner)

If I can run 5w-20 in a 5.7 Hemi here in Arizona without getting Hemi tick, a Toyota 4.0 in Massachusetts will most certainly go on forever. Your engine will appreciate 0w-20 in the winter for cold starts anyway. If I was looking for 0w-20, I'd look for Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum with an OEM Toyota oil filter. Engines with cartridge oil filters are picky when it comes to fitment.

run whatever suits your usage severity and climate, the 1GR likely won't care. a multitude of happy owners running the Toyota 0W-20, for what its worth, and they're seeing the kind of longevity out of that chassis that makes its reputation for longevity so well known.

for the record, outside of the US i believe every other market for the FJ will spec up to a 40wt for this engine. the 20wt recommendation is to eke out that CAFE fuel mileage in our US market, as a number of regions in the US experience temps that aren't THAT drastically different from those other international markets.

great vehicle, enjoy it. we picked up a 5th gen 4runner last summer and i'm really looking forward to stretching its legs off road.

Last edited:
run whatever suits your usage severity and climate, the 1GR likely won't care. a multitude of happy owners running the Toyota 0W-20, for what its worth, and they're seeing the kind of longevity out of that chassis that makes its reputation for longevity so well known.

for the record, outside of the US i believe every other market for the FJ will spec up to a 40wt for this engine. the 20wt recommendation is to eke out that CAFE fuel mileage in our US market, as a number of regions in the US experience temps that aren't THAT drastically different from those other international markets.

great vehicle, enjoy it. we picked up a 5th gen 4runner last summer and i'm really looking forward to stretching its legs off road.

Yep... spot on.

I'm a new owner of a well-maintained 2007 with 200k miles on it and trying to decide what to use. I have several motorcycles and two diesels and I purchase Rotella 5w40 by the case at Sams when they put it on sale, where I get it for about $4.75 a quart..... So I am tempted to give that a go. I don't give a rip about MPG.

I ended up going with the new SuperTech 5w30.... The 20,000 mile oil. Have about 500 miles on the oil and it sure runs smooth and nice.

It's only $17 a bottle or $3.40 a quart for synthetic.... so I will be doing 5k OCI's.

P1XKxEE.jpg

Back