Fix your beer fridge for 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran into an issue where my bar fridge stopped. It's a nice zero clearance fridge but is really a Made in China no name fridge. It's probably sold in lots of places. The fridge would not run. After doing my due diligence on the net and You-Tube I found these fridges break down because the starter relay and / or the high temp cutoff fails. Also the condenser fan is cheap computer fan you'd find at the back of your desktop computer.

Fortunately the first two items are 5 bucks each on Amazon and the fan is 10 bucks.

The symptom of the fan failing is a harmonic vibration of the entire fridge that can drive a guy crazy. Here are some pics. The starter relay and high temp cutoff are inside a plastic box attached to the left side of the compressor and the cheap computer fan is to the right of the compressor.

I know some will say just chuck the fridge but I don't want to go searching for another perfect fit. I find the description on the box or ad never matches up with the real dimensions. Enjoy.

10DEE661-AAF4-4009-8F65-CEED8F9A1E01.jpeg

A3CBE5D8-E385-4517-822A-84BA4CC0B6E3.jpeg

00FD830C-DE9C-4816-9982-17AE71420F34.jpeg

225A8F99-82C6-4543-98F7-A05F3797AE46.jpeg

69FBA22A-F032-40DA-B890-C6DC0E088256.jpeg

Last edited:
Here they are. Starter relay at the bottom and high temp cutoff at the top. If the relay rattles when you shake it, it's kaput. I changed the high temp relay just in case. I'm no pro at this. If anyone actually knows what they are doing please chime in and correct me.
laugh.gif

004B4A85-0E2D-492A-97CA-F8C60C15C9F3.jpeg

Nice work, but I'm surprised to see a Canadian with less than a 25 CF bar fridge, ðŸº

Originally Posted by 4WD
Nice work, but I'm surprised to see a Canadian with less than a 25 CF bar fridge, ðŸº

Take off hoser....
08.gif

Last edited:
Im with ya, i rather fix than replace. I replace if the parts get too expensive or hard to find. Good on u, its a nice bar fridge, whats in it?!
grin.gif

That's a really common issue with those small hermetic compressors. The start relay goes out and compressor won't run. Easy fix too!

Probably a lot of refrigerators and freezers get junked because of that!

Originally Posted by 4WD

We have Brandy for backup, it doesn't freeze

Oh yeah … I have had a bit of everything up there … including use of snow fridges.

Fun having 3 rum n cokes on the same ice. It was pretty chilly on the deck and the berg ice was amazing!

Originally Posted by 4WD

He was an Englishman for a bit there.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD

I'm a Newfie by birth and up and over there, they don't keep no beer in no stinkin fridge.
48.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Ha... here I was thinking 4WD meant a 25 cubic foot bar fridge, which was funny in itself. I got all jealous from size envy.
lol.gif

Actually he did. I missed it because we tend to think of bar fridges as cubic meters up here. No, I was stuck with a puny trainer unit because my wife wanted to fit it under the counter.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by sohccammer427
Originally Posted by 4WD

I'm a Newfie by birth and up and over there, they don't keep no beer in no stinkin fridge.
48.gif

Yes B'y ! I miss those huge "crawfish" on the decks with some hilarious Newfs going at each other … I was happy to bring a chunk of ribeye since many of them were not as enamored by those huge crusher claws 🦞

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back