HVAC T-stat Location Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a similar challenge in our home, it's a half-basement design.

The lower floor is very quiet, needs very little heating or cooling due to the earth surrounding it.

At night when the two of us and dog go downstairs to sleep the three of us heat the room up. Tstat is upstairs near the return.

A small high velocity fan at the foot of the stairs solved the issue and equalizes the temp very closely between up and down...

Wow..a half-basement house. Pretty cool. I'll bet it helps with the cooling bills. Where I live would also be great for basements....except digging through solid limestone to excavate. That's why deep pools are rare...and expensive.

A little fan is much cheaper than lighting off the compressor and two blower motors. I may still retro-fit the cross-house duct/fan system for the same reason.

First up though is replacing the existing duct-bucket with the correct size. That'll happen when the cold weather settles in.

Update III: The heat has finally returned. I've begun to use the big Vornado floor fan in the living room, pointed into the small hallway, set on low speed, to move some air towards the warm end, where the t-stat has been relocated. In addition, I've readjusted the A/C duct dampers to their "cooling" setting to provide more airflow in warmer areas.

The result is the compressor comes on less, the air here is mixed better, delta-T is lowered across the house and start-up stress on the compressor is lowered. I'm also able to increase the t-stat a ° or two, which helps even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back