"Fix" for oil sucking Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another idea that I have heard. This sounds off course but stranger things have happend. The Trooper is a notorious oil hog. Some think because of the piston/ring design, others because of a flaw in the intake gasket. One fellow said that his was using oil and that changing his air filter fixed the problem. Now I am no engineer, but this does not seem possible unless some serious vacum pressure is being exhibited throughout the engine. Anyway has anyone run across such a thing?

I suppose that in the extreme case a plugged air filter could cause a deeper vacuum in the intake stroke and possibly suck more oil up through the rings. That would be pretty extreme. Going from a 30 to a 40 weight would be expected to cut down oil consumption considerably-probably at least in half.
smile.gif

As finicky as these engines are it just might work. It's worth a try anyhow. The strange thing about it's consumption is that it is almost exactly the same with dino as M1! I figured one would have a different consumption rate than the other. (not sure which should/would be the highest consumption though)

quote:

Originally posted by ncirish:
As finicky as these engines are it just might work. It's worth a try anyhow. The strange thing about it's consumption is that it is almost exactly the same with dino as M1! I figured one would have a different consumption rate than the other. (not sure which should/would be the highest consumption though)

Thats not that surprising. The oils have the same viscosity. The reason it could be different is that if the Dino sheared down (thinned jout-which dino's do) or if some of the dino evaporates off which is not as likely with the new oils. It's not that surprising. My Toyota used about a quart of Mobil 1 in about 3K miles and whejn I added a quart of the 15W-50 it dropped consuption to about a quart/5000 miles.

In NC you could go with a 40 wt all year round but if you want to go slow just mid a 50/50 mixture (same brand) of 10W-30/10W-40 during winter and see if any improvements.

Low-tension piston rings and a slightly under sized PCV system don't help either. Spray out your PCV line with a carb/intake cleaner (with truck running) to clear it out & replace the PCV valve with a factory replacement. Any excess crank case pressure will blow oil up past the rings and into the combustion chamber.
Joel

[ January 25, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: JTK ]

Joel that makes more sense than just about anything. Do I need to get a OEM pcv or will one from napa do just as good? I have had good luck with napa in the past.

Well, I only have experience with our 1998... but.....I replaced the air filter every 15,000 miles and at the 60,000 mile mark, I replaced the PCV valve with an OEM unit. Didn't make any difference in oil use.

As I posted earlier, the only fix I found for our 3.5L V6 was to go with a 50/50 mixture of 15W40 and 5W30 Mobil 1. When it was down at all, I would top it off with 15W40.

This really reduced consumption. YMMV.

p.s. I even ran an Auto-RX treatment, no difference. I didn't figure it would make that much difference since I had changed the oil/filter every 5,000 miles since new and had changed over to Mobil 1 at the 10,000 mile mark.

[ January 25, 2004, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: Curtis Newton ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back