Fiskars 8lb maul.

Thought I would try a newer maul. It really does absorb shock. It splits really well. Dry cherry in one whack. Hickory took a bit more. Being a wider head , it's not quite as accurate at hitting the same mark , I might not be used to it yet.

But I really like it.
IMG_20201118_125120484.jpg
IMG_20201118_134128117.jpg
IMG_20201118_133917301.jpg
IMG_20201118_125204524.jpg

I have that exact model. I only break it out for the big stuff...for normal sized splitting, I use a smaller hybrid axe, as I can swing it longer and faster.

it is a maul, not an axe. I've posted about those before; reviews indicate it is the "light sabre" of wood splitting.

I would carefully inspect the metallurgy; i found one with significant casting/forging flaws prior to purchase. Needlesstosay, not hitting anything with that.

Last edited:
it is a maul, not an axe. I've posted about those before; reviews indicate it is the "light sabre" of wood splitting.

I would carefully inspect the metallurgy; i found one with significant casting/forging flaws prior to purchase. Needlesstosay, not hitting anything with that.

I saw some reviews where the maul head split at the bolt. I won't be using it as a hammer for wedges, i have a sledge for that.

I'm using it to stay in shape, I'm trying to keep from feeling older.;)

Yeah, getting old kinda sucks. I do have a 16lb sledge so maybe I should use it to pound on some tires like those cross-fit guys do. That would be a good punishment for myself the next time I bring home a box of doughnuts.

Spasm3: growing up in the country and using a wood burner, I always had split all our firewood. Great workout and I still do it when at brothers house 👍🇺🇸

I find the Fiskars Super splitting axe (4 1/2 lb) can split most everything. Getting to where I will break in one of my rebuild chain saws by ripping the gnarly stuff rather than pounding it into splinters.

Back