First turbo looking for advice 2014 Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, just picked up a 2014 Regal 2.0T awd. First turbo for us. I'm wondering what I need to know about this engine / drivetrain ? I "think" this is the LTG variant of the 2.0T turbo engine. Curious about which oils have faired well in this engine ? Also if anyone knows about the trans case or differentials in this Vehicle ? Info at the buick forums is pretty thin. Thanks

I don't know what fares well, but I'd use either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Plat 5W-30 as both meet Dexos1 and the HTO-06 spec for turbos...

SW, mine is the NA 2.4L Regal, the 2011. It doesn't put out anything like your turbo's hp, but is fun to drive and pretty economical. Four CPO oil changes were included in the purchase, and I've used 2 at my local dealer: AC Delco 5W-30 dexos1 semi-synthetic. My UOA came back great with 4200 miles on the oil. So I might not need to spring for synth to be good for 5000-mile OCIs.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability has been recommended here for the 2.4 engine. I may wind up going with that, or a QS or Pennzoil blend.

As for the transmission, I have the 6-speed manumatic auto. The manual recommends changing the fluid, Dexron VI, every 50K miles. I had it done at my longtime mechanic, a simple drain and replace, as there is no filter. I don't know about the all-wheel drive model, though.

From what I gather most people are keeping their oci's fairly short on these applications. Using M1 5w-30. Would 5k be going to far?.

I've seen at least one UOA on BITOG showing the LTG shearing (or diluting) a 5w30 pretty badly. I recommend a stout 30 weight that has dexos approval.

Here's a link to a 1.4L turbo in a Cruze that almost sheared M1 5w30 out of grade:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605626/Mobil_1,_5w-30,_7075_mi,_11_Ch#Post2605626

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
From what I gather most people are keeping their oci's fairly short on these applications. Using M1 5w-30. Would 5k be going to far?.

You may want to do a couple of UOAs to see how the oil holds up in your turbo. If it looks beat up at 5K miles, I guess try 4K.

Back to short oci's? Where's the technology? Seems under engineered to me. Wouldn't one port injector and a 2 extra quart sump capacity overcome 90% of these issues? Come on GM, need a few more billion of the public's money to get it figured out?

Last edited:
Back to short oci's? Where's the technology? Seems under engineered to me. Wouldn't one port injector and a 2 extra quart sump capacity overcome 90% of these issues? Come on GM, need a few more billion of the public's money to get it figured out?

I was told that the DISI MZR in my Mazdaspeed 3 was extremely hard on oil; I've been running M1 5W-30 since the first oil change at 5000 miles and UOAs continually show that my current 7,500 mile OCI is more than adequate. I would be extremely surprised if your engine could not use a similar OCI.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I've seen at least one UOA on BITOG showing the LTG shearing (or diluting) a 5w30 pretty badly. I recommend a stout 30 weight that has dexos approval.

Here's a link to a 1.4L turbo in a Cruze that almost sheared M1 5w30 out of grade:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2605626/Mobil_1,_5w-30,_7075_mi,_11_Ch#Post2605626

+1

Recommend a quality 30-weight synthetic oil that meets the Honda / Acura HTO-06 specification.

Also be careful with fuel dilution and oil sheering - both issues that might require a more frequent OCI for long-term engine longevity.

For what it's worth, I believe the 2.0 Turbo in the 2014 Regal is the new version (clean sheet design Ecotec) that is also in the 2013 (and newer Malibu), but first showed up in the Cadillac ATS. I don't think it shares much, if anything. with the older Ecotec engines. It would share the same basic architecture as the naturally aspirated 2.5 Ecotec that is also in the new Malibu and ATS. In any event, that's a sharp car. I hope it is a good car for you.

Hello, just picked up a 2014 Regal 2.0T awd. First turbo for us. I'm wondering what I need to know about this engine / drivetrain ? I "think" this is the LTG variant of the 2.0T turbo engine. Curious about which oils have faired well in this engine ? Also if anyone knows about the trans case or differentials in this Vehicle ? Info at the buick forums is pretty thin. Thanks

Hi SW,

I have a similar engine: 2.0 LNF Turbo with a 5L40e trans(made in France) and a Getrag LS differential(made in Germany). Buick did use some of these but not sure when or what.

My oil cap says Mobil 1 5w 30 on it. I like Mobil 1 but did switch to 5w 30 Pennzoil Ultra (gray bottle). It most certainly brought the engine temp down about 5 degrees. It is just a slicker oil and since these turbos run 220 - 230 degrees on a hot day I am looking for all the help I can get, so yes I am staying with Pennzoil Ultra for this car.

GM wants us to use Dexron VI for the auto transmission. I just bought a case of 12 Chevron full synthetic on Amazon for $52.86 delivered. I like it according to the specs.. You will need to monitor your temperatures to determine what is best for you. Also check out the Kendall Dexron 6, good stuff.

Also because of the heat issues on a turbo I have had to flush my power steering
fluid. GM does not make a fluid that will handle this kind of heat. Pontiac themselves had suggested Redline PS fluid for this problem. From now on Redline is all that I will use on any of my PS units. It really does do the trick.

I still have differential issues. Cadillac just changed it out with the grape scented stuff but I will have to add some Lubegard LS when I change out the tranny fluid.

Hope I wasn't too long winded

Thank you. I do believe it is the newest iteration (LTG) For all I know, I may be worried about nothing (regarding carbon buildup on the intake valves) Any GM 2.0T owners care to chime in?

I am running M1 0W-40 in our 2011 Regal 2.0L turbo. It's not Dexos, adn I never did a UOA to tell if it's good, bad, or otherwise. On paper it looked like a more robust oil than a Dexos 5W-30 for a DI turbo'd engine.

This is probably not much help....

I wanted to try pennzoil ultra. Would that void my warranty. Seems like I saw pennzoil platinum was on the dexos list but not ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back