First Tesla purchase turning sour.

The idea that EV’s are easier on the battery’s cells vs a power tool is not really correct. Both use very high quality cells picked specifically for the task. With max amp draw/charge-discharge rates and capacity. Powerful EV’s can and do discharge cells at stunning rates. EV charge rates can also be righteous at fast chargers.

The idea that EV’s are easier on the battery’s cells vs a power tool is not really correct. Both use very high quality cells picked specifically for the task. With max amp draw/charge-discharge rates and capacity. Powerful EV’s can and do discharge cells at stunning rates.

It's complicated. The cells used in an EV are probably of higher quality with better quality control than those found in my Ryobi drill batteries. In addition, they have an advanced BMS and thermal management system.

But you are right, these things can get fast charged and/or output tons of current at an impressive rate.

We will find out what happens long term. I know I invested heavily in the Ryobi one+ ecosystem 5-7 years ago so I have a bunch of their batteries. Multiple drills, 1/2-inch impact wrench, saw, etc. And of the 10 or so I bought I think 2 have died and the rest still seem OK and give reasonable runtime/power. Let's say those have a 20% failure rate in 5 years. Worth noting most of the time I use the 30 minute fast charger for charging most of the time, then they just sit for months at a time at full charge til I use them... which is supposedly the worst way to treat batteries.

So far EVs have been MUCH more reliable than that, if we exclude batteries replaced for recalls like my Bolt battery.

Where do you send batteries for analysis and how much does this cost?
One of the guys in the vape community has a ton of equipment and does reviews on various cells. Capacity at various amperages, voltage sag, heat measurements, internal resistance, all that jazz. I found him because on the other side of the house using 18650 and 18350 is the tactical community in some of the newer weapon lights. "Mooch" is his forum name where he hangs out.

One of the guys in the vape community has a ton of equipment and does reviews on various cells. Capacity at various amperages, voltage sag, heat measurements, internal resistance, all that jazz. I found him because on the other side of the house using 18650 and 18350 is the tactical community in some of the newer weapon lights. "Mooch" is his forum name where he hangs out.
Interesting, a great business if you know your stuff and have the lab equipment.

... I invested heavily in the Ryobi one+ ecosystem 5-7 years ago so I have a bunch of their batteries. Multiple drills, 1/2-inch impact wrench, saw, etc. And of the 10 or so I bought I think 2 have died and the rest still seem OK and give reasonable runtime/power. Let's say those have a 20% failure rate in 5 years. Worth noting most of the time I use the 30 minute fast charger for charging most of the time, then they just sit for months at a time at full charge til I use them... which is supposedly the worst way to treat batteries.
A small digression. Sorry.

@dogememe You say you've had 2 Ryobi batteries fail. Ryobi batteries that have failed can often be resurrected. Did one myself. The process was dead easy. Don't know how long they'll last after that though. Turns out my charger had also failed (and probably took out the battery on the way).

Here's a video that shows how to restore a failed Ryobi battery. I used a fully charged Ryobi battery as the power source (about a half dozen 10 second bursts).

Auction calls and says they got the car charged up and showing 140 miles range. Not sure if it's fully charged, will go check it out tomorrow and make sure it isn't in limp mode anymore or if it has any major problems. Not sure they would do anything about it for me now anyway. It is in very nice looking condition with the pano roof and 3rd seat (not sure that was standard).

01.jpg

04.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Auction calls and says they got the car charged up and showing 140 miles range. Not sure if it's fully charged, will go check it out tomorrow and make sure it isn't in limp mode anymore or if it has any major problems. Not sure they would do anything about it for me now anyway. It is in very nice looking condition with the pano roof and 3rd seat (not sure that was standard).

View attachment 216063

View attachment 216064

View attachment 216065

View attachment 216066

View attachment 216067

View attachment 216068
I hope this works out for you, keep us posted.

View attachment 216063

View attachment 216064

View attachment 216065

View attachment 216066

View attachment 216067

View attachment 216068
That car changed the world.

View attachment 216063

View attachment 216064

View attachment 216065

View attachment 216066

View attachment 216067

View attachment 216068
Looks like an EV that might actually be worth a battery replacement!

265 miles was 100% for a new Model S 85 with 85 kWh battery. There was a very limited number of 40 kWh, 60 kWh, and 70 kWh batteries over the years but I don’t think with the expensive 3rd seat option that you would have less than an 85 kWh battery. 140 miles full charge is pretty bad.

If you don’t already know, routine charge the battery to full imparts a lot of wear. Set your daily charge to 80-90%. Or 70% of that is enough for routine daily use. My 2013 Model S 85 still had 93% of its original capacity at 10 years when it needed its 3rd Drive Unit. And 4th 12v battery.

Your car had transferrable lifetime free use of Superchargers, however a previous owner could have transferred this to another new Tesla. Should also have Premium Connectivity, but I forgot if that transfers.

There was a very limited number of 40 kWh, 60 kWh, and 70 kWh
The 40kWh and 60 kWh batteries were actually larger batteries that were software locked at a lower full charge. I think this would be good for the batteries long term life possibly as I can't believe that Tesla would just shut off part of the battery.

"The update is possible because Tesla sold some Model X and Model S cars with more battery capacity in hardware than the customer actually paid for. Tesla sometimes shipped 75kWh batteries to customers who had only paid for 60kWh or 70kWh worth of battery capacity. In other cases, Tesla shipped 60kWh batteries to people who had ordered 40kWh batteries."

Your car had transferrable lifetime free use of Superchargers, however a previous owner could have transferred this to another new Tesla. Should also have Premium Connectivity, but I forgot if that transfers.
This would be a huge win if the previous owner did not transfer it!

Checked out the car this morning and drove it around the lot. Works fine, no funny noises or warning messages, a/c cold. Pretty relieved to find that. I think I saw something in the front display about it being a 60 model and in the center display saying something like, Your subscription has expired. Maybe referring to Tesla charging? Anyway, I'll bring it home next week and take a closer look. Can I use the standard 120 volt charging cable that I have with the LEAF? Does leaving the key fob in the car keep everything awake and drain the battery? I took it with me.

Nice looking car.

There is a complex routine to test the current capacity of the battery. I suspect you may need to go to the Tesla outlet to get it done.

In theory a Tesla battery has "failed" if its current capacity is below 70% of it's initial capacity. But I'm not sure that matters anyway. If you can work with the current (?160 mile) range you're golden.

I'd still only charge it to 80% and draw it down to no lower than 10% as a daily routine. If it has a 160 mile range, the day to day range would be 70% of that, or 112 miles. Not great but still a useful vehicle.

Back