First Tesla purchase turning sour.

I'm talking ICE vs EV longevity, you seem to be cherry picking, go back to what I first wrote. Try this, pick any of the millions of 11 year old vehicles still on the road you want, then compare them to EV's the same age. My point is very simple, the EV has yet to prove itself. There aren't enough of them around long enough, so all you can do is speculate. We can revisit this when you have your data.
You can revisit 2024 ICE at 12 years+ when you have data also. There is none and massive changes implemented in last 11 years. 1995-2014 very subtle changes across ICE.

I drive too many miles/year to car about the 10-12 year mark.

You can revisit 2024 ICE at 12 years+ when you have data also. There is none and massive changes implemented in last 11 years. 1995-2014 very subtle changes across ICE.

I drive too many miles/year to car about the 10-12 year mark.
Ok you bring your data in 2036, and I'll add to mine. ICE already proved itself, the jury will be out until 2036 on the EV according to you.

Supposedly the drive motors and batteries do not have a great track record on the early Model S's.
And from dealings with Tesla service centers alot of parts were changed as they went and interchangeability with items like brackets etc are a nightmare

Bought a nice looking 2013 Model S with 140,000 miles today for a seemingly reasonable price. It was sold with an auction guaranty to be free of major defects. I go to test drive it and its in a reduced power mode and there are messages to get it charged immediately. I'm able to limp it to the charger at the auction going 5 mph. Of course they are occupied and it's after 3 pm now. You have until 5 pm to submit a claim, but it will be a few hours before it's charged up enough so I can even take it for a drive. I was able to convince a manager of the issue, that I can't even drive it, and she said that after it's charged in the morning, they will check it out and go from there.

Ideally, the seller brought the car there without enough charge, and all it needs is recharging and then it will show there is no problem. I can't fathom anyone bringing a car in like that. My pessimistic thoughts say there is something wrong with the battery or electronics on the car. What's the track record of these early Teslas? I have always read on the internet that the batteries are good for at least 20 years or more and the car should be able to go over 500,000 miles on the original battery. Any actual Tesla owners here with insight?
Door handles are still from talking to a model s uber driver were $900 per door to fix but are now down to $400ish per door plus labor to fix if they break. Early model S had those break frequently.

I don't believe for one minute that the batteries are good for 20 years or 500K, more fantasy stuff, its a bunch of 18650 cell batteries for cripes sake. Even if it charges 11 years is a long time for any battery.
Concur. My cordless power tool batteries have the exact same cells and they don't last anywhere near that number of years. I know the architecture is different and Tesla's cell management system is better, but the death of cells is certain.

There is no long term data as data set is too small on EV to make anything meaningful to prove or disprove itself. It is rapidly evolving in tech and using data from old EV to a brand is similar to comparing a modern F150 to one 11 years ago.

The reality is average car life is 12 years/200000 miles now. 20 years is outlier . It appears this Tesla met the mark as it still is working with undiagnosed issue (all cars have issues) .
IDK about "outlier." Two of our 4 vehicles are 20 years old and have never had any major mechanical issues. 98 F150 5.4 4x4 and 04 Escape 3.0 4x4. Also have a 10 year Armada 4x4 that has only needed an ECU and a 15 year old Mazda that has never needed anything except routine maintenance and wear items. I do take care of the stuff and I don't live in the rust belt.
Maybe I just got lucky but the stats would say otherwise.

IDK about "outlier." Two of our 4 vehicles are 20 years old and have never had any major mechanical issues. 98 F150 5.4 4x4 and 04 Escape 3.0 4x4. Also have a 10 year Armada 4x4 that has only needed an ECU and a 15 year old Mazda that has never needed anything except routine maintenance and wear items. I do take care of the stuff and I don't live in the rust belt.
You're not alone, there are millions of people sharing similar experiences. We'll wait and see when EV owners can share similar results.

EVs in general are in their infancy as mass produced cars. I was an early adopter fully acknowledging the risk.
Like all cars and car companies, there will be winners and losers.

EVs in general are in their infancy as mass produced cars. I was an early adopter fully acknowledging the risk.
Like all cars and car companies AND OWNERS there will be winners and losers.
If your Tesla had been a dumpster fire you're in a position it would have stung a little to cut your losses and take a hit but not a big deal.

Buying a BEV as a long term necessary vehicle, not a toy or without a backup might be more of a risk than the GP understands.

If your Tesla had been a dumpster fire you're in a position it would have stung a little to cut your losses and take a hit but not a big deal.

Buying a BEV as a long term necessary vehicle, not a toy or without a backup might be more of a risk than the GP understands.
Admittedly I bought the Model 3 as a gift for wifey, as a toy to a large degree. Like everyone else I believed Tesla to be the snotty nosed kid on the block, soon to go belly up and/or the big boys will blow them off the map.

I have learned a lot and come to appreciate the car for what it is. It is a good fit for my use case. And fun as H-E-double toothpicks.
Importantly, the Fremont plant up the road is the #1 American car plant by production numbers and employs more than any other American plant. I salute and support that. Buy American and buy local is important to me.

Like all cars and car companies, there will be winners and losers.
I guess I'm an early adopter too (though less early than @JeffKeryk. Some have been good (CD player - still using my original Mission PCM 7000, now as a CD drive), and some not so good (Betamax) in spite of it being better than the alternative.

At almost 3 years old my Tesla is tied for the most reliable new car I've owned. It has needed nothing. Tied with my '00 Camry Solara. A close run third was my '81 Celica (a knob fell off). Way better than my '07 Accord (new transmission in the first month), '78 Ford Fiesta (many many many small issues), '86 Volvo (lots of problems - and wouldn't stay fixed).

We all know what the OP does. No doubt if he keeps the car he'll detail it within an inch of its life, take 200 photos in front of the brick house, write a short story and make a little money selling it. Props for to him for testing the EV flipping waters. (y)
Better use an oem oil filter too.

Thing is, those are very reliable, simple vehicles that do not compare to new cars. No direct injection, no turbos, 4 speed autos not 10 speed, simple tech. I don't think 2024 vehicles are going to be as robust as your 98 F150 and 04 Escape.

I'll let you know in 5 years :D I rely on my Bolt every day and if it breaks I probably can't afford to fix it. I do have a battery warranty for another 90K-ish miles or until 2031, so that covers the most expensive part, but there is still the rest of the car.

I had no idea Teslas were being made in 2013. For some reason I thought they came out in like 2017 or 2018

The Model S started delivery in 2012 :)

I have eight 18650s that are now 20-22 years old, and heavily abused. They work well, still. I am sending 2 off for detailed analysis later this week.
Where do you send batteries for analysis and how much does this cost?

Back