First Service experience with new Toyota, 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First service time for a new car, a 2014 RAV4.

Great car, no problems.

Took it to the dealer for its first 5k service.

Owners manual states optional oil change at 5k based on type of service the vehicle is used for.

Made my appointment 2 weeks in advance online.

Showed up at toyota service center, was told it would be 60 minutes to do the service. Ended up taking two hours.

Asked for oil change based on severe service, was told that it would not be done until 10k miles. This is a leased car, so I don't care but if it were a purchased car I might have asked why not?

I also asked the service adviser to perform a software update to the Entune stereo system, the upgrade would improve how devices connect to the unit via Bluetooth, and other enhancements. Right now it wont work well with my Windows phone, but works with Apple or Android fine.

Service adviser said that the foreman did not work on weekends, and that she could schedule me an appointment during the week to "look at it". So they couldn't do any service on the stereo, or perform updates.

I said no thanks, I'll deal with it. I work 50 hours a week, and couldn't take off time to have a stereo looked at.

Service included

--Check Installation of Drivers Floor Mat
--Inspect Fluid Levels
--Inspect Wiper Blades
--Multi Point Inspection
--Reset Maintenance Light
--Rotate Tires
--Inspect Brakes

Car came out of service 2 hours later, dripping soaking wet and it was washed with dirty water. Water spots all over the car, after I had just had it professionally detailed.

I was ticked, but instead of letting them "fix" it, I just took the car home and detailed it in my garage to my liking.

Guy in front of me, at the service bay in a Lexus was telling his adviser "do not wash the car, do not wash the car". Now I know why!

I was also ticked that they didn't change the oil.

So that is my experience with having work done at the dealer, I only take it there because the car is a lease and has a full maintenance package, and I don't have to think about it.

I know that there was a reason why I take my wife's car (Toyota Matrix) to a top rated Angie's List mechanic near my home, who uses 100% napa parts, and does a perfect job every time.

And no, they don't wash her car, they just do great work.

Just another reason why I try and avoid the dealer for anything other than buying a new car. It seems for every positive experience I read or hear about pertaining to car dealerships there's ten negatives.

I've had similar experiences with our Lexus dealer. If our GX is remotely clean I tell them to skip the wash.

I had ours in for the 5k service and asked them to rotate the spare into the mix like the owners manual states but they said they don't do that. I swapped it at home myself.

This is the same dealer that scratched all 5 wheels swapping the tires on our brand new vehicle when we bought it. Of course they didn't replace the spare wheel when they did it so I got to hassle with that when rotating. I swear I can't pay anyone to do something without some issue or problem.

If they can't do a decent job washing the car, would you trust them with an oil change or anything more complicated??? I've never seen a car dealer get a basic oil change correct; ie, oil level at the full mark on the dipstick. It's always a half to a quart overfilled. The $8.50/hr oil change money could care less.

I will probably never buy a new vehicle under warranty ever again. That is how much I despise car dealers. They pay peanuts, hire monkeys, and give [censored] service. No thanks; I'm not going to deal with it. I'd rather have a bit older vehicle serviced by myself or a trustworthy independent shop that actually cares about quality of workmanship.

By the way, I love the part about "adjusting floormats".
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
If they can't do a decent job washing the car, would you trust them with an oil change or anything more complicated??? I've never seen a car dealer get a basic oil change correct; ie, oil level at the full mark on the dipstick. It's always a half to a quart overfilled. The $8.50/hr oil change money could care less.

I will probably never buy a new vehicle under warranty ever again. That is how much I despise car dealers. They pay peanuts, hire monkeys, and give [censored] service. No thanks; I'm not going to deal with it. I'd rather have a bit older vehicle serviced by myself or a trustworthy independent shop that actually cares about quality of workmanship.

crackmeup2.gif

+1 When they offer free state inspections and oil changes for life I tell them to keep it and do better on the price.

Why would you have a leased car professionally detailed anyways?!? Personally if im leasing it, im driving it rough and dont care about it. If I planned to buy..i would buy it up front. Yeah..free is rarely good..id rather pay and do it myself..

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I swear I can't pay anyone to do something without some issue or problem.

Bingo. You've hit the nail on the head.

$tealers are the worst considering the high cost of using their
"DISservices" LOL

crackmeup2.gif

I've noticed that Mr Goodwrench isn't doing oil changes and washing cars, so the actual mechanic work may be OK. Some kid usually does that at our local dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why would you have a leased car professionally detailed anyways?!? Personally if im leasing it, im driving it rough and dont care about it. If I planned to buy..i would buy it up front. Yeah..free is rarely good..id rather pay and do it myself..

I agree. No way would I waste my Saturday doing an extra oil change or detailing a leased car! That's the whole advantage of leasing, it sits outside, you run it through the car wash once every couple of months and change the oil every 10k. Toss the keys to the bank at the end of the lease and let the dealer that buys it do the detail.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of dealers. Warranty work even. I've only had a couple of things done but it still seems like each time they made mistakes. Corner cutting. If I could just drop the vehicle off each time and go about my life I wouldn't care so much: but it's not like I live 30 seconds from them nor want to rent a vehicle each time I drop off.

A vehicle is a necessity to my way of living, but sometimes I wonder about the aggravation!

I've forgotten now, but I want to say the 2.5 in my Camry (same mill as in 2014 RAV4) didn't need its first oil change until 10k either. As long as it has oil in it I'm not sure it is a big deal. Not nearly as big as sitting around for 2 hours for a bunch of stuff... that really didn't need doing. Apart from the tire rotation.

So they denied the oil change and you stuck around for 2 useless hours getting an inspection and a bad wash?

Why did you even stay there?

crackmeup2.gif

+2 I can't stand stealerships for the same reasons stated above. I'd rather do the work myself.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So they denied the oil change and you stuck around for 2 useless hours getting an inspection and a bad wash?

Why did you even stay there?

And he even had to make an appointment for the privilege of wasting two hours!

Welcome to Toyota... My father has a Sienna and they told him 10K miles until the first change. He simply asked why that long since the first oil change is so important and they said the oil is the most "technologically advanced" oil on the market. Found out later it is cheap, bulk 0W-20 oil from a 55 gallon drum. But whatever, I do recommend changing that oil and filter though ASAP.

My local dealer pulls the same nonsense. They're understaffed, so if you call for an appointment, it'll be two weeks before you can get in. It takes them no less than 90 minutes for a basic oil change and tire rotation. Two hours is average.

I asked them to perform a TSB on my 2008 Tacoma (rear suspension upgrade). The service advisor told me they wouldn't be able to get me in anytime soon and then tried to sell me a full airbag suspension. I wrote a letter to Toyota and got the service done, but dang, shouldn't they want to do warranty work that Toyota pays them for?

Their extraordinarily poor customer service is what pushed me to start doing my own work back in 2009.

If you're planning to keep it, I'd put in PYB 5w-20 for the rest of the warm months until you're due for another freebie from Toyota. If you're going to turn it in at the end of the lease, it's not your problem.

Originally Posted By: lawman1909
Welcome to Toyota... My father has a Sienna and they told him 10K miles until the first change. He simply asked why that long since the first oil change is so important and they said the oil is the most "technologically advanced" oil on the market. Found out later it is cheap, bulk 0W-20 oil from a 55 gallon drum. But whatever, I do recommend changing that oil and filter though ASAP.

The oil the dealer uses might be bulk 0W-20, but I'm guessing it's TGMO or even a souped up version of TGMO that gets put in at the factory.

You aren't gonna get Mercedes or BMW service on a Toy.
Just ain't gonna happen.
OTOH, some dealers are better than others.
Why not poke around online for ratings of the local Toyota stores and take the car to one that is rated as having a decent service department?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back