First outing with my new to me boat

I had done prepping and some testing of the new to me boat before Sunday on a work rack.

On Sunday the boat is pulled off the rack and lowered into the water. Engine starts easily. Trim checks out. Trim tabs check out. Engine coolant temp OK.

Now to get underway. Press unlock button to shift into forward and shifter would not go forward or reverse.

Now background, metal shavings were found in the gear oil last March. Outdrive was sent out for rebuild and with parts delay it was not done until late September. Original shop reinstalls the outdrive and shrinkwraps the boat.

That work cost many thousands of dollars.

Looks like the shift cable is seized. Was it even checked out after the outdrive was reinstalled?

Captain Frustrated

There is a severe learning curve when you get into boating.[Do not ask How I know !] There are two types of boaters. 1) that doesn't maintain their boats and have nothing but problems and disappointment at the launch ramp or on the water 2) that is meticulous about over maintaining their boat and have nice days on the water. A nice day on the water is worth the cost . You are the one responsible to "preflight" the boat before you even hook up the trailer. We have some pilots on board here ,maybe they will go over their preflight inspection of the aircraft they pilot and we then can convert the procedure to boats.

Last edited:
Sorry for your problems. Frustrating indeed. The joys and expense of boat ownership rank right up there with back yard swimming pools and horses!

Reactions: FZ1
Sorry for your problems. Frustrating indeed. The joys and expense of boat ownership rank right up there with back yard swimming pools and horses!
I have / had all three and when you stay on top of things which is over maintain ,, things will be good. Maybe not with Horses. Boats and pools are much, much easier than Horses. There is a reason Ferrari used a Horse in its marque. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

As the saying goes... the day you buy it, and the day you sell it... the two happiest days of ownership.

Been there, been through that. Mine had a stiff steering cable. Not a problem, just annoying. Bought it that way, sold it that way... LOL.

Last edited:
There is a severe learning curve when you get into boating.[Do not ask How I know !] There are two types of boaters. 1) that doesn't maintain their boats and have nothing but problems and disappointment at the launch ramp or on the water 2) that is meticulous about over maintaining their boat and have nice days on the water. A nice day on the water is worth the cost . You are the one responsible to "preflight" the boat before you even hook up the trailer. We have some pilots on board here ,maybe they will go over their preflight inspection of the aircraft they pilot and we then can convert the procedure to boats.
I am not new to boating. Had many over the past 50 years. This is the nicest.

I have spent the one day of each of the past two weekends going through various things on the boat. Starting it. Getting dock lines and fenders set for when it gets moved from a rack to the water. And I purposely was there for the first time when it went in the water so I could quickly look for water coming into the bilge. (There was none).

I started the engine using muffs the day before but I typically never shift while running the engine on muffs.

Here is my issue. I paid well over $1000 to have the outdrive pulled, gear oil changed, then torn apart to diagnose why metal shavings were found in the gear oil, then put back together and strapped to a pallet. Then six months latter pallet arrives with rebuilt outdrive and they reinstall the outdrive. It's not uncommon for the shift cable to seize. Especially if not used for awhile. They knew the boat had not been used in a year by the time they reinstalled the outdrive as it was in their yard all that time.

Now maybe they were pissed off that I did not have them rebuild the outdrive. But they gave me a price to rebuild only the upper drive that was higher than new from VP. And since there were metal shavings circulating throughout the upper and lower sections I felt the safe way forward was to rebuild the entire drive, rather than just rebuild the upper and flush out the lower section to clear out any metal shavings. I got the feeling they did not want to get into rebuilding the outdrive thus their high price. I had one of the top places in the country do the rebuilding so I did not set out to save money on the rebuild.

Nice! I am in the process of fixing up a 1995 Yamaha Wave Venture 700 I picked up with a trailer for $600 on FB Marketplace. The engine needed a rebuild, one of the cylinders had a deep gouge in the liner necessitating it to be resleeved/rebuilt, it had over 300 hours on it so it seemed time. The seller ostensibly said it "just needs a top end rebuild" but with 300 hours the crank likely needed redone as well anyway. I went with pwcengine.com on Long Island, the new engine is actually sitting at home waiting for me right now. Done a bunch of work to it, installed a bilge pump, re-greased the pump bearing and checked the wear ring, replaced all fuel/oil lines/filters, completely rebuild the carbs... Lot of work, finally ready to start going back together. Will make a thread on it when it's mostly back together.

Well the shift cable was replaced but now the shifter itself seems to be rusty and corroded. Actually the initial thing I noticed was the lock button to prevent accidental shifting could not be pressed in. So that needs to be replaced and it's got the trim switch on the handle and while probably made by Teleflex, it's a VP ($$$$) part.

Back