First oil filter you bought?

Good morning folks. I remember I was 15 and I bought a wix filter for my Pontiac sunbird. Bought dad a wix for his 92’ Dakota too. At a small mom and pop auto parts store. Do you remember the first oil filter you bought?

Whoever made the factory oil filter for the1990 Infiniti M30, my first real driving car.

1719661529365.jpeg

It was an STP filter for my 1989 Mazda 323. I just met my gf (now wife) and she had just done her first OCI with her brother. I had wanted to get into that but lived in an apartment. So I went over to her place and got it done.

It was $1.97 at walmart and came in a box with a little cellophane window. It was highly rated on the "minimopar filter study" that still exists!

Part number 17-1728 Canadian Tire house branded oil filter for my 1970 Pontiac. This is the usual PF24 "BOP" short filter. It was 40+ years ago so I have no idea who actually made the filter. When I started working at a local speed shop while going to University (I had my Buick by then, same filter number), I used mostly Purolator as those were one of the jobber filters we carried that I got staff pricing on. I don't have invoices that old but I seem to recall filters were in the $3 range (my cost) back then.

Purolator because that's way Dad stocked at his shop.
Then, when I bought an oil filter on my own after Dad retired and sold his shop, I bought LEE Maxi & FRAM

Last edited:
Back