First Oil Filter Brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, what was the first oil filter brand that you can remember using/buying?

Mine would probably be a Quaker State, back when that was K-Mart's house brand and was made by Fram. Later they got "K-Mart" branded filters that were made by Champion. They were all white with the K-Mart logo.

The first one I ever purchased and installed myself was a VW OEM filter for my GTI, in 2004. Before that, I always paid to have my oil changed. I haven't paid anyone else to change my vehicles' oil since '04.

The technically first oil filter I bought came as a package with my car. Honda Filtech.

The first one that I bought at a store was a Supertech.

Good man, Johnny- you even remember the year!
10.gif

Originally Posted By: kingrob
Good man, Johnny- you even remember the year!
10.gif

I can even tell you what car it was for. A 1956 Ford Crown Victoria. The car now has a MotorCraft filter on it and it's in winter storage.

First filter was Napa Gold brand during the 90's. I would go to the front counter, request the filter and pay for it.

Were Napa Filters rebadged Wix filters during the 90's? Just wondering.

AC Delco, for my '79 Impala.

Took me a long time to get away from Delco, I even used them on my Dakota initially. Prices started going up, even at Farm & Fleet, and I stumbled onto BITOG. Now I have a garage full of all different brands.

Some of you have long memories. I struggle to remember what I did with my 57 Chevy. Maybe a Fram element in a canister it was tough to thread a bolt up through the cover? After it, I hired oil changes for a while and them maybe Lees for my 71 Valiant. I don't think I ever ran much except AC's on my Pontiacs and LUV.

Fram PH3614 orange can for an 84 Dodge Aries 2.2, back in 1992.

Stopped using them later on when I found one with boogered threads....

That car was a breeze to change oil on...

For my newly purchased 1972 Mustang in 1974 it was a Lee oil filter. I continued to purchase Lee and STP oil filters at Sears. When I purchased my new 1975 VW Rabbit I "upgraded" to Fram
smirk2.gif

Whimsey

Lee and/or Lee Maxi filters for a mid-70's Chevy Malibu wagon.

Whatever happened to Lee filters anyway? They were supposed to be pretty good back then, or at least that's what Consumer Reports said. They did an oil filter test about 20 years ago where Frams, Lee Maxi and ACDelco filters came out on top.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back