first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all....excellent info you have here, I am learning a lot. I have an '03 honda insight and is due for its first oil change at 7500. There after I intend to change oil every 7K and change filter every other (14K) oil change. Given that, I was intend on using M1 0w-20 w/ an M1 filter. However, I'm still a bit undecided on which filter to use. I would have no problem dishing out the bucks for an extended change filter that offers both good filtration and flow if I can find one to match the insight. THoughts and suggestions are much appriciated:) thanks.

Don't be cheap. Change the filter at every interval.
I'd also change the oil more frequently(including dumping the factory fill).

If this car has a habit of shutting off at every stop, makes me wonder how much engine wear occurs at every re-start
confused.gif

You have to remember, this is a gas-electric motor, not just a gas motor. The wear will be a lot less, unles of course, your beating the crap out of it. Only thing you have to worry about in these vehicles is the batteries life. As for filters, id go with an m1 or amsoil filter, and I would recommend changing it each time you change your oil.

You have an expensive, unusual car with special requirements, which nobody really knows much about. I wouldn't play games especially while still in warrantee. I don't know what Honda charges for their oil and filters, but I would stick with them. The OEM stuff usually is good quality. If you use the M1, make sure it meets the Honda specs.

Don't even consider going 14K on a filter. I would do a used oil analysis before 7.5K to see what is going on with the engine. You could use Supertech- they are good filters.
smile.gif

Thanks for the input. In speaking with other insight owners, a large portion of them have had trouble with dealers not using the correct oil. The OEM filters from Japan are better quality then the ones most dealers have in house. But there really is no way of knowing which OEM filter they use. That is why I am opting to do the work myself, especially on a car like this. That way I will know what is going in it, plus if anything goes wrong I have nobody to blame but myself:) At first I was going to change the oil and filter every 6k. I really see no need to change oil and filter every 3k, unless one drives like crazy across many miles per day. Perhaps I will stick with my original 6k idea.

I have been thinking of having the oil tested as well. Any suggestions on where I should have it sent? thanks
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by megaoptimus:
At first I was going to change the oil and filter every 6k. I really see no need to change oil and filter every 3k, unless one drives like crazy across many miles per day. Perhaps I will stick with my original 6k idea.

I have been thinking of having the oil tested as well. Any suggestions on where I should have it sent? thanks
cheers.gif

I think that's a good plan. I'm still a little nervous of the 6K miles without an oil analysis[/qb] but I think I worry to much-its probably O.K especially for a couple of change intervals and then you'll have a feel through an analysis.

Oil Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back