First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got analysis from Blackstone on the first oil change on my 2013 Fiesta SE that I bought brand new last year.They report "silicon isn't the only thing
reading high; iron, aluminum, and copper are too. But that's nothing to be concerned about. Silicon is from
factory sealers and the metals are from new parts wearing in. Everything should drop steadily over the next
oil change or two until your engine looks more like average for this type of Ford engine. The TBN is good at
2.8. So far, looking good! Try 8K miles." I changed oil at 7200 miles. Mobile 1. I intended to change at 5000 miles. The irst change was scheduled to be at 10,000 miles. I am now thinking it would have been best to do the first change at 500 or 1000 miles as that is when the most metal would be in circulation due to break in.

Should I maybe trade it on another as they are the same great deal on a new one. I would really like to get at least 300,000 miles on the engine, but am concerned about the above average amount of metals indicated in the report.

Stop worrying and just drive it. Your engine is fine.

Analysis results will level off after a while. That's why I don't even bother having the factory fill analyzed.

I've never really come to appreciate the idea behind sticking the next owner with the problem you think the car has. Why not stick a note in the glove box explaining why you traded it.
smile.gif

This is perfectly normal. This is why you don't do UOA's on a new engine. Let it break in and drive it.

I would not do a uoa until 20k miles. I think of uoas as a measure of how the oil is holding up(i.i how long to run the oil) , not so much how the engine is. A uoa is useful if you are trying to determine if you have a head gasket or lim gasket problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
The issue is driving 300,000 miles in a Fiesta, I wouldn't admit to wanting that! LOL.

I rented one of those for a few days, not a bad little car really. As for the OP, sounds like vehicular hypochondriasis. Sure a UOA on a new engine will have a lot of wear metal in it. Don't worry about it and don't do another one for a few OCI's.

I wouldn't do a 1st OCI on a new vehicle at 8K-10K miles but, I wouldn't do it at 500-1000 miles either. More like 3K-5K miles, IMHO!

Well, you can trade in the Fiesta in if you choose but, most first OCI UOA's do show high wear amounts and silicone as you mentioned. This will all settle out.

If the deals are really good right now on a new car, do what makes you sleep well at night! Either way, you will travel far & long on either vehicle.

If you do trade in, don't do a UOA on the new car until you have about 20,000-25,000 miles logged. Otherwise you might find yourself trading that one in too.
wink.gif

Let me get this straight. The op got a used oil analysis done on an engines first oil change,and is concerned about wear metals.
Is this for real?
And don't the actual experts here state under no uncertain terms that a typical used oil analysis isn't an accurate method of measuring wear,they are done to monitor the condition of the oil.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
The issue is driving 300,000 miles in a Fiesta, I wouldn't admit to wanting that! LOL.

LOL!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I've never really come to appreciate the idea behind sticking the next owner with the problem you think the car has. Why not stick a note in the glove box explaining why you traded it.
smile.gif

I disagree.
If I'm selling my car (that has issues) privately then I have issues of conscience.
If I 'trade it in' then the dealer selling it is responsible.

GM doesn't seem too concerned that they sold me a new car with coolant odor/loss issues.
I spoke to an attorney before trading it in and was told that.."the issues are well documented on the internet and you would have no liability because of this"....

PS: I had changed the FF at 1500 miles in that Chevy....I ventured out to 2000 on my new Ford. I still believe in an early OC to rid the crankcase of wear-in debris even though millions of cars last 200K plus without an early oil change.

Originally Posted By: slowdime
RedOakRanch said:

Is there a problem with engine reliability with the Fiesta?

Originally Posted By: borgward
I just got analysis from Blackstone on the first oil change on my 2013 Fiesta SE that I bought brand new last year.They report "silicon isn't the only thing
reading high; iron, aluminum, and copper are too. But that's nothing to be concerned about. Silicon is from
factory sealers and the metals are from new parts wearing in. Everything should drop steadily over the next
oil change or two until your engine looks more like average for this type of Ford engine. The TBN is good at
2.8. So far, looking good! Try 8K miles." I changed oil at 7200 miles. Mobile 1. I intended to change at 5000 miles. The irst change was scheduled to be at 10,000 miles. I am now thinking it would have been best to do the first change at 500 or 1000 miles as that is when the most metal would be in circulation due to break in.

Should I maybe trade it on another as they are the same great deal on a new one. I would really like to get at least 300,000 miles on the engine, but am concerned about the above average amount of metals indicated in the report.

You changed your oil and got some wear in metals out, with the oil. Why do you think that changing the oil sooner would have eliminated this wear? The particles had to be small enough to get through the oil filter, so they didn't damage anything.

I am betting those numbers drop by at least half, on your next change. If they climb.......Well, then you might want to rethink 300k.

RedOakRanch said:

I think you missed the joke.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
RedOakRanch said:

I think you missed the joke.

I am glad I came back to this board..can't imagine how huch humor I have missed over the years.
25.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Let me get this straight. The op got a used oil analysis done on an engines first oil change,and is concerned about wear metals.
Is this for real?
And don't the actual experts here state under no uncertain terms that a typical used oil analysis isn't an accurate method of measuring wear,they are done to monitor the condition of the oil.
Unless there is a suspected problem a UOA on a new engine is just a plain waste of money. Which experts we be talkin about here.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
If you do trade in, don't do a UOA on the new car until you have about 20,000-25,000 miles logged. Otherwise you might find yourself trading that one in too.
wink.gif

LOL

OP just drive it and don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back