First Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Buick Enclave 3.6L V6
5,000 miles (20% oil life)
Family car - will average 15,000/year, 50/50 around town and highway trips
Intend to own for a long time.

Ready to do the first oil change. Should I go with full synthetic right from the start, since I intend to own for 7-10 years? Or is regular dino good enough? I am willing to spend the extra $10-$15 at every OC if it is worth it. Does it make a difference on a new car?

I've read a lot of different theories, the one that makes most sense to me is the timeliness of the changes is more important than the type of oil or filter. I would appreciate any helpful advice.

I typically run M1 HM or AFE in my other cars, but they all have over 100k.

I believe this would be the DI motor, and requires dexos oil, which is, at a minimum, a synthetic blend.

Some people on here have had good luck with cheaper oils changed more often. I've had a decent UOA from Amsoil's ASL changed according to the OLM, and will do another test next spring.

Opinions on the DI vary. Some older models, particularly European, have had trouble with valve deposits. I believe it still remains to be seen how the 3.6 will fare in this regard.

I would only use a Dexos labeled oil which would likely be a synthetic. I believe Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum both have the endorsement and would be easy to find.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I would only use a Dexos labeled oil which would likely be a synthetic. I believe Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum both have the endorsement and would be easy to find.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability Synthetic is also Dexos approved for GM vehicles.

At 5K OCI's, I would say use QSUD. A good oil for the price, Dexos approved, and should easily stand up to a 5K OCI.

Use the cheapest dexos you can get. Remember, dexos has to be at least a syn blend to meet their standards. In fact, even dino is actually a syn blend now due to the bar raised by SN.

A few times per year, Napa synthetic goes on sale at a great price, and it meets dexos1. Unfortunately it's not on sale right now, but watch for the next time it does.

M1 AFE 0w30 meets the dexos requirement, as indicated on both the GM dexos site and M1's own site, even though the bottles don't mention dexos.

Valvoline's line of oils handles fuel dilution and wear very well. For warranty compliance, run Maxlife, Durablend, or Synpower. All are Dexos 1 approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back